• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,835 posts in this topic

Batgirl #13 touted as VF+ or maybe better. I know it isn't really breaking news, but pretty good for a copy where the seller "is not a professional grader". Hmmmmm, maybe my strictly graded 9.8 copy on there for $35 BIN with free Priority shipping might sell.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BATGIRL-13-DC-Comics-Die-Cut-Cover-Joker-Death-of-the-Family-VF-/190807054482?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2c6cfc9892

And how is Malibu Sun 13 the first appearance of Spawn?

(shrug)

well they both have 5/92 release dates. (Malibu Sun #13 and Spawn #1)

so since it was Image's "preview" magazine isnt it the same as those selling Preview Magazines as "first appearances" of Walking Dead, Saga, etc....

If you try to rationalize the ebbs and flows of the marketplace I believe your mind will explode. Safe to say, I let the market tell me what they think it important with their $$ and I just tell YOU what is trending on the Lyria website. ;)

Not all of us are in the market ONLY for money, the truth matters too.

And how is Malibu Sun 13 the first appearance of Spawn?

(shrug)

well they both have 5/92 release dates. (Malibu Sun #13 and Spawn #1)

so since it was Image's "preview" magazine isnt it the same as those selling Preview Magazines as "first appearances" of Walking Dead, Saga, etc....

Yes but it doesn't really matter. The Diamond Previews cover comes first whether we say that MS 13 pre-dated Spawn 1 or that they came out at the same time. This is also assuming that either magazine ( which are preview mags ) can even be considered as a characters first true appearance.

Currently getting 3 copies of Sixth Gun #1 graded. I think I've got at least 1 9.8. The other's could be 9.4 to 9.6. Do you guys see these lower grades picking up much steam? I know there's been a 9.4 up for about a week that has only reached $150.

It all depends on price and timing. When do you expect your copies back from CGC?

I know of at least 10 copies (not all mine) that will be in hand by March 17th.

I have a feeling that onsite grading at MegaCon will bring a lot of modern slabs to market. (NWM, Sixth Gun, Mind MGMT, Saga, etc.)

$150 is pretty good for a 9.4

It's a rough predicament at that price. With most 9.4s looking better than they are, you could easily list it at NM (which is an accurate grade) on the bay and sell it for $90-100 and not have to go through the expense or time of grading. Selling now for $100 is a lot nicer sounding than waiting a month, paying for grading, return shipping, and only making a few bucks extra. If you thought it was a 9.8 and got snakebit with the 9.4, then that is just the gamble I guess.

Shill. Check the bidders.

You think people would notice these things before posting these links...

the book sold though, so whoever wanted it felt like 350 was an acceptable price

no, it didn't really sell. just because something sells for a a certain price doesn't make it real. chances of this book not being paid for is slim and it will be relisted.

price manipulation and shill bidding is a huge problem on ebay.

I've heard the arguments, but you can't ignore that there are probably a few folks out there that heard about the astounding PP gold-rush recently and had no prior Ebay history....that ended up listing for auction. That doesn't make it a shill, but it does make it appear to be so. Someone selling with 0 feedback doesn't set off alarm bells as much as people with 0 feedback or little feedback bidding like crazy. I've never sold a single thing on Ebay....ever......and I've been registered for years. My feedback has only come from purchases.

If I dropped some PPs up there, would I be getting slammed for shilling? Probably, and it would be a falsehhood.

I'm not saying there's no shenanigans on the bay, cause there surely are. Some of my first posts on the forum were about these issues: ie-price manipulation of the GPA via the bay, etc.

I believe it's ongoing, but then again there are literally hundreds of other auctions to view and see what the general consensus is. Those outlier sales are always suspect but not necessarily shills. I've been guilty myself of getting caught up in a bidding war for something I want, and have overpaid significantly...only to find the same item way cheaper later.

So this is really an insoluble situation. Shill or no shill, it will influence the sales the same ways legitimate sales do and vice versa. Sales are sales even if they're fakey sales.

i feel almost 110% confident calling that 350 ebay sale a shill fake sale, and it has nothing to do with the seller having 0 feedback. i have been involved in buying and selling on ebay for a long time. i am also a collector of basketball cards, particularly kobe bryant cards, so i am very aware and do my research on auctions to make sure it's just not someone trying to pump up the price of their comic, and to me this is clearly what looks to be going on here.

you are right though, even fake sales will move the market, which is exactly what people involved in shilling want you to buy in too, so they can make more money off of you and others, so your last sentence sums everything up and couldn't be a more jacked up way to look at things imo. because once you get price manipulating involved it's bad news for all collectors. people involved in this type of thing are nothing but scum and end up just ruining the hobby for others in the long run, not to mention it is illegal.

For what its worth, as far as this seller is concerned and his zero feedback. I was the first sale he made b4 this PP #1. Got the book and communication excellent with him. I simply bring it up as a couple of folk where concerned about the seller having no previous sales. I was his first sale, this PP #1 everyone was his second. I am only referring to the seller..don't have any comments about the bidders.

People would rather buy a raw that MAY be a 9.8 than a slab they KNOW is a 9.4.

that +1, and on top of that too

Not everyone wants to buy a slab period. Those who DO, almost always only want 9.8.

The number of people who wouldnt buy any slab >>> the number of slab buyers willing to buy a 9.4

So I was thinking about making a grab bag of TWD to put on eBay. 5 comics each (all number between 50-99) and an 1 variant. The variants will most likely be #101 gost, #100 SDCC, Hastings Governorand #85 because that's all I can think of. I took the lowest eBay value of each and got the value of each grab bag to be around $100. Would it be fair to price these at $60?

Edited by tommyVoltage

So I was thinking about making a grab bag of TWD to put on eBay. 5 comics each (all number between 50-99) and an 1 variant. The variants will most likely be #101 gost, #100 SDCC, Hastings Governorand #85 because that's all I can think of. I took the lowest eBay value of each and got the value of each grab bag to be around $100. Would it be fair to price these at $60?

I think grab bags are frowned upon. They may even be agains eBay rules. I could be wrong.

I think grab bags are frowned upon. They may even be agains eBay rules. I could be wrong.

I don't think they are against the rules because I see them all the time. Unless eBay just can't keep up.

I just don't want to take the time to sell them separately, so I don't care about losing the extra money by doing a grab bag.