• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,835 posts in this topic

Regarding selling hot books on eBay, what is the best way to maximize your final sales price on them???

I've sold less than 10 items on there, so am new to the selling.

Would appreciate any quick tips on what I could have done better for the following case:

-bought Amazing Spider-Man #678 Venom Variant for $9, held it for 2 months or so, sold for $142.50 on eBay.

-there was anywhere from 2-7 other ones listed around the same time

-most were selling for around $160-$180 at the time (was slightly dissapointed that mine didn't hit that, and a little confused).

-Think it was a 10 day auction, ended it at 9:45PM on a Sunday

-this was the listing (it obviously had pictures)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130653660745&ssPageName=ADME:L:CORT:CA:1123

A few things i see right away that limit me personally as a potential buyer...

-You are in Canada.

-Your feedback # is low

Ya, hate the feedback thing, but I'm not a business, so it's hard to up the selling quickly.

How does the Canada thing affect you guys in the States buying from us through eBay??? Customs charges??? just a hastle???

Thanks for the feedback :insane:

Exposure has more to do with it than anything else...you just have to be patient at times, and ebay selling is a huge wildcard! You can't expect to get top dollar in auctions, there's too much variance....if you don't like the gamble, you're better off setting a BIN/BO, and list it for 30 days.

I have international turned off. I don't even bother.

How do you do that b/c I don't mind shipping internation with boardies, but have emails from people all over asking if I do international when I indicate I do not in sales. Once again, for boardies, cool. But it's a lot of trouble and cost for everyone.

How do you do that b/c I don't mind shipping internation with boardies, but have emails from people all over asking if I do international when I indicate I do not in sales. Once again, for boardies, cool. But it's a lot of trouble and cost for everyone.

I can't help you there. They look on the US site if you don't offer international shipping. I get people buying stuff sometimes from places I don't ship and have to cancel or way overcharge them shipping if they say they don't care.

It's frustrating trying to narrow things down when listing, because it's like "well, Canada and US, is it REALLY international"??? , like vs shipping to Europe, Australia, etc.

Sometimes it's hard to tweak the settings, shipping, etc, so you include the States, but exclude the rest of the world.

Regarding selling hot books on eBay, what is the best way to maximize your final sales price on them???

I've sold less than 10 items on there, so am new to the selling.

Would appreciate any quick tips on what I could have done better for the following case:

-bought Amazing Spider-Man #678 Venom Variant for $9, held it for 2 months or so, sold for $142.50 on eBay.

-there was anywhere from 2-7 other ones listed around the same time

-most were selling for around $160-$180 at the time (was slightly dissapointed that mine didn't hit that, and a little confused).

-Think it was a 10 day auction, ended it at 9:45PM on a Sunday

-this was the listing (it obviously had pictures)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130653660745&ssPageName=ADME:L:CORT:CA:1123

A few things i see right away that limit me personally as a potential buyer...

-You are in Canada.

-Your feedback # is low

Ya, hate the feedback thing, but I'm not a business, so it's hard to up the selling quickly.

How does the Canada thing affect you guys in the States buying from us through eBay??? Customs charges??? just a hastle???

Thanks for the feedback :insane:

Being in Canada, you could never compete with shipping to the USA because US buyers will always find a cheaper shipping option in the states for the same book you might be offering. I get SOOO many US buyers wanting me to reduce the shipping rate on auctions (mostly CGC books) and I have to explain to them I'm in Canada and that is the real cost of shipping.

And now I see alot of US buyers won't even browse international auctions so your potential buyer base is even more limited. I personally don't understand why you wouldn't search internationally because you could miss out out on a rare or one of a kind item. That top census book you've been scrounging around for could be available in the UK as a cheap BIN!

The Canada thing for me is just HIGH shipping costs. But yours was $8, so I wouldn't think twice about buying from you. It does take a bit longer, but there are no customs charges or extra hassles. You can also get your ranking up quickly through purchases instead of selling...buy some raw books for a buck each, etc.

But eBay selling is fickle. No real way to predict why one week a book goes for $150, and the next it goes for $125. Lots of luck involved imo. And the Walking Dead angle could be a factor.

It's frustrating trying to narrow things down when listing, because it's like "well, Canada and US, is it REALLY international"??? , like vs shipping to Europe, Australia, etc.

Sometimes it's hard to tweak the settings, shipping, etc, so you include the States, but exclude the rest of the world.

IT IS TOTALLY LIKE INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING SINCE THEY ARE LIKE TWO DIFFERENT NATIONS COMPARED TO LIKE PROVINCES/STATES

Edited by wushugushu

I can't help you there. They look on the US site if you don't offer international shipping. I get people buying stuff sometimes from places I don't ship and have to cancel or way overcharge them shipping if they say they don't care.

Why do you have to OVERcharge? That sounds quite dishonest.

Canadians suck at selling on eBay.

Go back to Montreal.

....you mean to say 'Back to Winnipeg!'

HAHAHAH! LOVE IT!

It's always hilarious when Canada get's mentioned on TV.

"Well Doug, the Saskatchewan RoughRiders only scorred FOUR rouge's last season".

IT IS TOTALLY LIKE INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING SINCE THEY ARE LIKE TWO DIFFERENT NATIONS COMPARED TO LIKE PROVINCES/STATES

No, I know that, but shipping between Canada and the US is much MUCH easier, simpler, cheaper, than trying to ship overseas, or even to another country in North or South America.

But, when shipping to and from the US get's lumped in with shipping to/from Italy, Pakistan, etc., it's frustrating since I want to offer to US, but not anywhere else (and vice-versa. a lot of American seller's will say "Only ships to US, BUT will ship to Canada as well").

Edited by Dukes40

Why do you have to OVERcharge? That sounds quite dishonest.

I clearly state in my auctions that if you bid from outside the region to contact me first. And if they don't I ask them if they really want it because I only ship less than 1% of my orders international so I don't know the costs. I charged $15 to ship to Singapore for one book and it was $17. But I charged $20 to ship to Bali and it was only $9. So normally it winds up being way overcharged. They can leave me stars for shipping costs, but I have all 5 stars and I'm a power seller.