• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,835 posts in this topic

A question for those of you who keep a close eye on this stuff; from say, the last couple of years what new release books have genuinly become decent long term bets?

I can think of Thief of Thieves, Revival, Saga and Rachel Rising as having continued demand for first issues along with maybe New 52 Batman and Detective. Are there others or is the type of speculation which you engage in based more on short term arbitrage? This is a sincere question borne out of nothing more than curiosity.

I just see these threads pop up for titles like The Vault and Great Pacific, Dancer, Clone etc, etc suggesting that they are the next big thing only for interest and secondary values to peter out. Of course not every book can be a hit, but i'd be interested in hearing opinions based on an overview of the market as a whole over the past couple of years or so.

East of West.

Spawn #9 Newsstand CGC 9.8 SOLD... for $300

http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=24343337

There is no other comic with Angela worth owning.

There is an Angela Pirate story in a 1995 promotional book that will eventually sell well once people find out about it. Basically a story about Angela defeating a Cut Throat Pirate Spawn. It was given out to retailers based on their orders of Spawn 32 I think. (It somewhere around that number.) Came in two covers one Spawn and one Angela. Right now its in the $1 bin.

Other then that book yeah those two are about it.

AngelaSpawnnn_zpsc8b6abd6.jpg

Thats insane to pay 300 for spawn #9 even 9.8 cgc. Weren't there a million of these printed, holy cow thats a lot cheese for that issue. :o

These were selling for $20 on here a year ago. And the census just jumped from one-hundred seventy-eight 9.8s to two-hundred. I took a snapshot of the census when the Angela news came out just to check the growth. So the growth is slow most probably due to CGC wait times (jumped by thirty-eight total so far).

The "Vengeance of Bane Special 1"-like explosion begins.

137767.jpg.8550153f1a8fabb61a1a30e68787d490.jpg

137768.jpg.3212eee2652ed7896fc4e93e61d29477.jpg

I know we discussed Agent Poulson and SHIELD over and over again, but now that the other hundred of thousands of comic book readers know SHIELD got picked up is Battle Scars worth it? I see it at cover price. Never lower. Or whatever that other book we talked about was?

A few months ago dealers could buy pallet loads of Battle scars 1 for pennies direct from Diamond. We sell them for £1 each currently with very little demand even at that price.

Thats insane to pay 300 for spawn #9 even 9.8 cgc. Weren't there a million of these printed, holy cow thats a lot cheese for that issue. :o

These were selling for $20 on here a year ago. And the census just jumped from one-hundred seventy-eight 9.8s to two-hundred. I took a snapshot of the census when the Angela news came out just to check the growth. So the growth is slow most probably due to CGC wait times (jumped by thirty-eight total so far).

Hey Bosco :hi: how much tougher do you think the newsstand version is than the regular cover? I don't think CGC makes a distinction but from what I have seen it is far less than 10%. When a book is overprinted like this, the variants tend to absorb the collector dollar simply because they are viewed as scarcer and provide a bit more of a challenge than the piles of regular covers available. It's interesting to look at this book with the increased demand because other than Spawn 1 there hasn't been enough demand (considering the supply) for the early spawn books to really gauge the scarcity of the newsstand covers and how much of a premium the market will bear.

I know we discussed Agent Poulson and SHIELD over and over again, but now that the other hundred of thousands of comic book readers know SHIELD got picked up is Battle Scars worth it? I see it at cover price. Never lower. Or whatever that other book we talked about was?

A few months ago dealers could buy pallet loads of Battle scars 1 for pennies direct from Diamond. We sell them for £1 each currently with very little demand even at that price.

I left eBay open on Battle Scars when I posted that and just refreshed and the number dropped by 3. Thanks for the info. Maybe I can find it in a $1 box at a con.

Hey Bosco :hi: how much tougher do you think the newsstand version is than the regular cover? I don't think CGC makes a distinction but from what I have seen it is far less than 10%. When a book is overprinted like this, the variants tend to absorb the collector dollar simply because they are viewed as scarcer and provide a bit more of a challenge than the piles of regular covers available. It's interesting to look at this book with the increased demand because other than Spawn 1 there hasn't been enough demand (considering the supply) for the early spawn books to really gauge the scarcity of the newsstand covers and how much of a premium the market will bear.

You are so right on the UPC difference potentially driving different demand. It seems like the Newsstand vs. Direct market has really become hot.

CGC does break out the two now in the census. My concern with the count difference is potentially for a period of time CGC was combining the two.

You are so right on the UPC difference potentially driving different demand. It seems like the Newsstand vs. Direct market has really become hot.

CGC does break out the two now in the census. My concern with the count difference is potentially for a period of time CGC was combining the two.

. I think it is recent that CGC makes the distinction, there are only two newsstands on the census. GPA has no distinct sales so it will be interesting to see if this sale gets a notation on GPA. If not, it could throw of the pricing for the regular cover.

Hastings had a buy one get one free sale and I didn't touch any of them. They are going for less than cover on ebay now. Hastings market is deader than a doornail.

1375925-iron_man_2_agents_of_shield_1_large.jpg

There is an Angela Pirate story in a 1995 promotional book that will eventually sell well once people find out about it. Basically a story about Angela defeating a Cut Throat Pirate Spawn. It was given out to retailers based on their orders of Spawn 32 I think. (It somewhere around that number.) Came in two covers one Spawn and one Angela. Right now its in the $1 bin.

Other then that book yeah those two are about it.

Nice! We could include her second Spawn Appearance for at least one reason,

T2eC16NkE9s4Z-vWBRem8SSsSQ60_1_zpsfb2c4952.jpg

Will someone just come forward and admit they have bought like 40 copies of this book. That way we can end this stupid argument. Its fairly obvious some are invested in this book heavily apparently. Every 5 to 10 pages this books gets brought up. If it aint selling it aint selling.

Edited by Fastballspecial

Will someone just come forward and admit they have bought like 40 copies of this book. so we can end this stupid argument. Its fairly obvious some are invested in this book heavily apparently.

:hi:

I bought one copy. :grin:

Will someone just come forward and admit they have bought like 40 copies of this book. That way we can end this stupid argument. Its fairly obvious some are invested in this book heavily apparently. Every 5 to 10 pages this books gets brought up. If it aint selling it aint selling.

:golfclap:

:roflmao: