• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,835 posts in this topic

Whetteon - maybe some of these people think you know the original price for everything? Thus, the dumb comments.

I for one enjoy your informational posts, please keep 'em coming.

It's not a dumb comment to point out that books some people are posting as "heating up" are in fact, not heating up, but cooling down. This is the heating up thread after all.

In fact, the particular issue (X-O Manowar 1 GOLD) sold for $43, which is less than the "retail" price this comic sold for on DCBS when this comic was first released. I cannot remember if this was sold on DCBS for $100 or $150 originally.

I am honestly not understanding the issue here. If someone post misinformation, we should just ignore it? (shrug)

Question to all, then.

What if:

Original price/high point price 1 year ago=$100.

Prices 3 months ago=$30

Prices 1 month ago=$50

Prices today=$70

Would that be heating up or not?

I would tend to think it would be. Yes, it's still under the original and/or high price, but it's still increasing in value, which would tend to mean that there's increasing interest in it.

Discuss.

Edited by Dukes40

Whetteon - maybe some of these people think you know the original price for everything? Thus, the dumb comments.

It's not a dumb comment to point out that books some people are posting as "heating up" are in fact, not heating up, but cooling down. This is the heating up thread after all.

In fact, the particular issue (X-O Manowar 1 GOLD) sold for $43, which is less than the "retail" price this comic sold for on DCBS when this comic was first released. I cannot remember if this was sold on DCBS for $100 or $150 originally.

I am honestly not understanding the issue here. If someone post misinformation, we should just ignore it? (shrug)

Anyone providing "informational posts" is fair game for comment I think and in all honesty "heating up" isn't necessarily restricted to original purchase price - it could be that a price is heating up based on what it sold for last month, last year etc...

I think the thing to keep in mind that the links to Lyria are active auctions, so it's basically a snapshot of the ACTIVE ebay marketplace (I assume he gets paid on click throughs to ebay like CGC does) so anyone researching & using his links shouldn't bother him in the least. The purpose is not to always identify items going to be setting new high prices, it also tracks things that aren't necessarily price related like "watchers" & "bids". It's probably more accurate to say that those posts relate more to tracking the level of interest in current auctions; some of it is self fulfilling since he's bringing more people to ebay to watch, bid or win auctions. If there's a book that interests you, look into it - I don't think he vets for low feedback, shill bids or any of the other shenanigans associated with ebay.

I think the website is cool, I do think there are some posts could be considered off topic but if you are looking for posts here that say "check your LCS or longboxes for this issue" I don't think his posts are intended to do that without each person doing their own research. I will say that jumping all over someone who questions why a certain link is not valid doesn't lead to good discussions about the books themselves - don't attack the guy questioning the infomercial because he's done some research, do your own research and counter his argument. If you can't then he's right. People spend too much time defending people personally when their data is questioned.

I simply look at these posts as useful spam that provides dealers & collectors with 'news' and links to a website that provides you the widgets/search tools to help you find specific live auctions.

(thumbs u

Question to all, then.

What if:

Original price/high point price 1 year ago=$100.

Prices 3 months ago=$30

Prices 1 month ago=$50

Prices today=$70

Would that be heating up or not?

I would tend to think it would be. Yes, it's still under the original and/or high price, but it's still increasing in value, which would tend to mean that there's increasing interest in it.

Discuss.

I would say yes, it's heating back up. But, I think the main use people at one time had hoped to get out of this thread, was front running books before they explode. Getting tips on what to watch, what to buy, etc.

But, a lot of members feel the thread devolved into people just trying to hock and shill whatever they bought 50 of, etc.

There are some people on here that forward the discussion, but most I think just come to argue :)

In the truest sense of "heating up" your example is valid. In terms of the intention of a place to post tips, most of the serious debate/discussion left here long ago. A combination of lurkers/hoarders buying out every online source instantly, combined with shilling junk, pretty much put the nail in the coffin.

Edited by CBT

Here is what you posted;

These went for $100 out of the gate and this one just sold for less than $50. Is this the cooling off thread?

You picked on Whetteon for providing information...yet he believes it to be heating up because he was obviously not aware what it originally retailed at. So, you poked at him.

So, maybe you could have replied and said something like just letting you know this book originally costed whatever and has not apprecaited at all. That or something close might have worked better.

From what I understand, Whetton's service looks at the number of watchers & bidders and lists the highest for each category (and is further broken down by age: modern, bronze, etc). That number is used to define 'heat'. There will be outliers due to this metric. So if a high value book (for example WD#1) listed for $1 & has 100 watchers, but no bidders, it would still show up as 'hot' in the Lyria formula. The bidder/watcher value is a relative measure of heat, not an absolute measure, and is more easily handled by the algorithm Whetton developed.

Edited by Hekla

From what I understand, Whetton's service looks at the number of watchers & bidders and lists the highest for each category (and is further broken down by age: modern, bronze, etc). That number is used to define 'heat'. There will be outliers due to this metric. So if a high value book (for example WD#1) listed for $1 & has 100 watchers, but no bidders, it would still show up as 'hot' in the Lyria formula. The bidder/watcher value is a relative measure of heat, not an absolute measure, and is more easily handled by the algorithm Whetton developed.

You can't claim a book is "heating up" without looking at historical sales data. Number of bidders and number of watchers shows interest, but tells you jack squat about where a book is in its sales cycle.

You can't claim a book is "heating up" without looking at historical sales data. Number of bidders and number of watchers shows interest, but tells you jack squat about where a book is in its sales cycle.

I see Lyria as a tool to understand what's selling. It's a snapshot of the moment.

I see Lyria as a tool to understand what's selling. It's a snapshot of the moment.

Well, anything with bids (and no reserve) is going to sell ... I see it more as a list of items that garner a certain amount of attention when they're listed on eBay.

But, again, without historical data, it doesn't tell me anything more than that book X has Y number of bids and Z number of watchers. Does this mean a higher or lower ending price than when the last copy of book X was listed? There's no way to tell.

This is a great site and excellent effort. I hope folks aren't complaining about it and are rather arguing the minutiae surrounding sales. Running a site and staying on top of it takes a lot of work. Big thanks to Whetton for his work! (thumbs u

This is a great site and excellent effort. I hope folks aren't complaining about it and are rather arguing the minutiae surrounding sales. Running a site and staying on top of it takes a lot of work. Big thanks to Whetton for his work! (thumbs u

+1 (worship)

Well, anything with bids (and no reserve) is going to sell ... I see it more as a list of items that garner a certain amount of attention when they're listed on eBay.

But, again, without historical data, it doesn't tell me anything more than that book X has Y number of bids and Z number of watchers. Does this mean a higher or lower ending price than when the last copy of book X was listed? There's no way to tell.

Historical data would be nice, granted, but I never saw Lyria as that type of service. I do think its a great site that aggregates current data from eBay for collectables and (to my knowledge) is the first site to do so.

I'm only defending the site to the extent that I never saw it as misrepresenting what it is and that I am able to use that information to my purposes.

:foryou:

Edited by Hekla

Historical data would be nice, granted, but I never saw Lyria as that type of service. I do think its a great site that aggregates current data from eBay for collectables and (to my knowledge) is the first site to do so.

I'm only defending the site to the extent that I never saw it as misrepresenting what it is and that I am able to use that information to my purposes.

:foryou:

I totally understand - I don't want anyone to think I'm bashing whetton's work here ... I think his site is a nice tool and I frequent it myself :thumbsup:

Might be an obvious question, but how do you search "watchers" in ElectronicBay?

I looked around for a while before, and could only search by "number of bids".

Might be an obvious question, but how do you search "watchers" in ElectronicBay?

You've gotta be one of those folks who Watches the Watchers. :wink:

it's an api call, not something you can do from the site itself.

https://go.developer.ebay.com/

Historical data is not allowed to be stored, there are third party sites that offer pay for use access in an approved way from ebay.

GPA either has a unique agreement to acquire it, or it illegally strips the data with scripts and stores it against ebay's rules.

What were we talking about between The Big Bang Theory and whetton's website? I know it wasn't anything dealing with me banking on some older releases. My question related to comic books has already fallen two pages back.

it's an api call, not something you can do from the site itself.

https://go.developer.ebay.com/

Historical data is not allowed to be stored, there are third party sites that offer pay for use access in an approved way from ebay.

GPA either has a unique agreement to acquire it, or it illegally strips the data with scripts and stores it against ebay's rules.

Well, just a second there, professor. API call?

Had to look that one up.

Kids these days. ???

What were we talking about between The Big Bang Theory and whetton's website? I know it wasn't anything dealing with me banking on some older releases. My question related to comic books has already fallen two pages back.

The Last of Us?

Petey-Panz #11?