• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,839 posts in this topic

GL 9 Variant is one of the few variant books that has never really lost any value and holds steady or in this case looks to be increasing. The ASM Venom book is the other off the top of my head.

I believe the Red Hulk deadpool variants are still $$$$$ as well.

Books heating up in Modern Age that are currently $100 or more on eBay:

Superman Unchained #1 1:300 Sketch Variant @ $261 & 12 bids.

X-Men #297 Gold Pressmen Variant @ $150 & 6 bids.

Grimm Unleashed #1 Philly Nude Variant @ $130 & 28 bids.

Peter Panzerfaust #1 @ $110+ & 8 bids.

Amazing Spider-Man #700 Midtown Variant @ $102+ & 8 bids.

East of West Diamond Retail Variant #1 @ $102+ & 7 bids.

Scarlet Spider #1 Variant @ $100 & 14 bids.

Bonus:

Green Lantern #9 "Batman Variant" @ $61 & 8 bids.

That's not so great on the Zenescope unleashed.. I think retail was $125 doh!

Good for the person selling but those are ridiculous numbers for that 1:300 superman unchained variant. Book is brand new and if the print run is 400,000 or higher its not really as rare as some of the modern variants that are out there.

I don't know why people care about superman unchained.

I think a strong argument could be made that it is a flop just based on the 1:300 variant not going for more than $280.

I'm make the comparison again - This title is another Before Watchmen.

I think a strong argument could be made that it is a flop just based on the 1:300 variant not going for more than $280.

I agree and its really not that rare. We'll all find out the print numbers next month but at 400,000 there are 1333 of the 1:300 variant, at 500,000 there are 1666. There are many variants out there right now with print runs of 500 so again its not that rare. 2c

I agree and its really not that rare. We'll all find out the print numbers next month but at 400,000 there are 1333 of the 1:300 variant, at 500,000 there are 1666. There are many variants out there right now with print runs of 500 so again its not that rare. 2c

Not every store is going to order 300 copies of the regular cover, so not every store is getting the incentive.

That's not how it works with these large ratio variants - DC doesn't print up X copies of a 1:300 variant based on the total print run, it's based solely on how many stores actually order 300 copies of the regular issue.

If 3 stores all order 200 copies, none of them get a variant even though their combined order would be 600 copies.

If this is really the case then no stores in my city or the midwest except maybe one or two stores in chicago will have one of these "incentives" as most small to medium sized comic shops are barely surviving. Shops like midtown will get them but they have the capital available. I really don't believe they are only printing one of these variants only if 300 is ordered

Edited by natevegas

If this is really the case then no stores in my city or the midwest except maybe one or two stores in chicago will have one of these "incentives" as most small to medium sized comic shops are barely surviving. Shops like midtown will get them but they have the capital available. I really don't believe they are only printing one of these variants only if 300 is ordered

You may not believe it, but that's how it works.

You'd be surprised how many small shops order 100-200-300 copies of a highly anticipated book in order to get a high-ratio variant - they know they can sell the variant straight away and basically make back the cost of all the regular issues. Anything after that is pure profit for the shop.

Didnt Marvel have extra of the rare ASM 700 left over?

I'm sure they print some extras - comps, giveaways, etc. It still doesn't mean that the print run of a 1:300 variant is anywhere near the total print run divided by 300.

You'd be surprised how many small shops order 100-200-300 copies of a highly anticipated book in order to get a high-ratio variant - they know they can sell the variant straight away and basically make back the cost of all the regular issues. Anything after that is pure profit for the shop.

+1 Ditto

For DC maybe? But for Marvel that's not true.

Was at a Diamond UK open day some years back & needed a Wolverine Origins #2 for a customer. I was told they were sold out but could have a Canadian flag 1:100 variant instead which they then picked in front of me from 2 Longboxes of them (600 copies).

Marvel, Dynamite & IDW variants are always on the clearance list & multiples can be had for pennies

Well, when it comes to a smart business owner that runs two shops (and my example, not too far away from one another,) they will make one order and split the shops' comics delivered at one store and deliver the other part of the order to the second location themselves.

;)

-slym