• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,842 posts in this topic

From what I understand, Whetton's service looks at the number of watchers & bidders and lists the highest for each category (and is further broken down by age: modern, bronze, etc). That number is used to define 'heat'. There will be outliers due to this metric. So if a high value book (for example WD#1) listed for $1 & has 100 watchers, but no bidders, it would still show up as 'hot' in the Lyria formula. The bidder/watcher value is a relative measure of heat, not an absolute measure, and is more easily handled by the algorithm Whetton developed.

You can't claim a book is "heating up" without looking at historical sales data. Number of bidders and number of watchers shows interest, but tells you jack squat about where a book is in its sales cycle.

I see Lyria as a tool to understand what's selling. It's a snapshot of the moment.

Well, anything with bids (and no reserve) is going to sell ... I see it more as a list of items that garner a certain amount of attention when they're listed on eBay.

But, again, without historical data, it doesn't tell me anything more than that book X has Y number of bids and Z number of watchers. Does this mean a higher or lower ending price than when the last copy of book X was listed? There's no way to tell.

Isn't that the definition of something that's heating up?

This is a great site and excellent effort. I hope folks aren't complaining about it and are rather arguing the minutiae surrounding sales. Running a site and staying on top of it takes a lot of work. Big thanks to Whetton for his work! (thumbs u

Thanks Designer Toast and everyone else who put in some good words. I appreciate it. :headbang:

From what I understand, Whetton's service looks at the number of watchers & bidders and lists the highest for each category (and is further broken down by age: modern, bronze, etc). That number is used to define 'heat'. There will be outliers due to this metric. So if a high value book (for example WD#1) listed for $1 & has 100 watchers, but no bidders, it would still show up as 'hot' in the Lyria formula. The bidder/watcher value is a relative measure of heat, not an absolute measure, and is more easily handled by the algorithm Whetton developed.

You can't claim a book is "heating up" without looking at historical sales data. Number of bidders and number of watchers shows interest, but tells you jack squat about where a book is in its sales cycle.

I see Lyria as a tool to understand what's selling. It's a snapshot of the moment.

Well, anything with bids (and no reserve) is going to sell ... I see it more as a list of items that garner a certain amount of attention when they're listed on eBay.

But, again, without historical data, it doesn't tell me anything more than that book X has Y number of bids and Z number of watchers. Does this mean a higher or lower ending price than when the last copy of book X was listed? There's no way to tell.

Isn't that the definition of something that's heating up?

Well, no.

Something is heating up if it is starting to sell at higher prices than it has done in the past.