• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,836 posts in this topic

Big announcement was the tv show

Which was the same announcement as last year.

Actually, the announcement last year was a potential tv show. The announcement at Image Expo was confirmation the TV show is officially happening.

Thankyou - been looking everywhere for that.

It's hard to discuss this book for some reason.

Is it that some are worried they have over bought, sold too early, have too few - but lets take the $ out of this.

TWD - is a world-wide hit. No doubt, and surely no argument from anyone here.

PP - I can only assume some haters haven't read it?

It's a story 'loosely' based on Peter Pan.

The Lost Boys are French resistance fighters - they kill, and get killed.

Peter isn't superhuman. He doesn't actually fly. He is just looking for a lost love.

The story is told through the eyes of the surviving Wolf Pack, many years later in post-war France.

It's a tribute if you will, to the French Resistance in some ways - and as such is a story worth telling.

It will appeal to all Europeans who's countries actually underwent that occupation only 70 odd years ago.

The WW2 defences still stand in France, England, Holland etc, memorials are everywhere - WW2 is ingrained in the psyche of the European Nations as this happened to them.

Of course it has interest. To suggest otherwise is disrespectful of the fallen of all nations.

Rememberance day in Europe is huge, just like Gallipoli is to Australia.

So, yes, it has relevance to a multitude of people - and the BBC, as said before, do the best period dramas in the world.

Peter Pan is still loved by kids all over the world. It still has queues at every Disneyland, the book is still read by millions and is a staple in schools around the world. So it should appeal to young and old

There will be a lot of people, who if it is marketed properly, will want to see this.

The writing is genius. I am tempted to swap 'boring' for 'not-understood' in a few posts on here. Stick with it. It draws you in very quickly.

Now add a comic with only 4814 copies printed (so knock off 1000 as gone forever), and add a thriving readership, add a motion comic starring Wood and Perlman - who have been in hit after hit.

The comic will attract publicity from that and a confirmed BBC television series, add the fact that PP will be ongoing further than 25 issues and you have a highly desirable product on your hands.

Hate if you want but to label WW2 as 'uninteresting' is quite frankly insulting.

I'm invested in this comic and want it to succeed.

I have explained why.

Perhaps haters could expand their argument for the 'nay' so I and others can understand and not think its just pissy sour grapes because you are not in possession of one.

Is this book aimed at kids?

Most kids don't give a damn about Peter Pan. Do yours?

I've owned 2 #1's and sold one for $220 and another for $265 and I bought them because of speculation from yourself Andy so I thank you for that... But I've never thought that PP was anything special. I read the first 4 issues and found it tough to get past the artwork and unappealing story line.

WW2 is not uninteresting.

WW2 + Peter Pan in comic book form is uninteresting IMO

Not everyone who disagrees is a hater or someone who has never owned one. Just the same as not everyone who defends it has multiple copies or stands to get financial gain such as yourself.

Just my opinion :)

Actually, the announcement last year was a potential tv show. The announcement at Image Expo was confirmation the TV show is officially happening.

Is it that some are worried they have over bought, sold too early, have too few - but lets take the $ out of this.

Peter isn't superhuman. He doesn't actually fly. He is just looking for a lost love.

The story is told through the eyes of the surviving Wolf Pack, many years later in post-war France.

It's a tribute if you will, to the French Resistance in some ways - and as such is a story worth telling.

It will appeal to all Europeans who's countries actually underwent that occupation only 70 odd years ago.

The WW2 defences still stand in France, England, Holland etc, memorials are everywhere - WW2 is ingrained in the psyche of the European Nations as this happened to them.

Of course it has interest. To suggest otherwise is disrespectful of the fallen of all nations.

So, yes, it has relevance to a multitude of people - and the BBC, as said before, do the best period dramas in the world.

Peter Pan is still loved by kids all over the world. It still has queues at every Disneyland, the book is still read by millions and is a staple in schools around the world. So it should appeal to young and old

There will be a lot of people, who if it is marketed properly, will want to see this.

The writing is genius. I am tempted to swap 'boring' for 'not-understood' in a few posts on here. Stick with it. It draws you in very quickly.

Now add a comic with only 4814 copies printed (so knock off 1000 as gone forever), and add a thriving readership, add a motion comic starring Wood and Perlman - who have been in hit after hit.

The comic will attract publicity from that and a confirmed BBC television series, add the fact that PP will be ongoing further than 25 issues and you have a highly desirable product on your hands.

Hate if you want but to label WW2 as 'uninteresting' is quite frankly insulting.

I have explained why.

Perhaps haters could expand their argument for the 'nay' so I and others can understand and not think its just pissy sour grapes because you are not in possession of one.

I own 10 copies of #1 (6 of them slabbed), have been reading the series since day 1, and bought the first TPB for my daughter when it came out so she could enjoy it as well - but because I think it's insane to believe this series is going to be bigger than TWD, I'm a hater? :shrug:

The motion comic means nothing - I know you want it to be a huge deal, I believe you referred to it as a "volcano" earlier on, but the sad truth is that nobody cares about motion comics. It doesn't matter who directs them, it doesn't matter who voices them, it doesn't matter how "motion-y" they are - they don't pull in non-comic-book people, they don't generate excitement and they're ignored by anyone who isn't already a die-hard fan. The motion comic trailer that came out back in May was linked on a single national website in their Comics section - it didn't even register on the radar of any mainstream media outlet.

When Buffy - which is arguably one of the most popular teen TV shows of all time - can't generate any traction whatsoever for their motion comic, what makes you think that an unknown property like PP will succeed in that regard?

As for the "confirmed BBC television series", well, I'm still looking for a link to a press release (or anything, really) that actually confirms that the BBC has committed to a full season of PP like you mentioned earlier - even though Wiebe himself said a week ago that no casting or production had happened on the live action show. The only thing I've been able to find, however, is the press release from October of last year. Even in the Image Expo interview you reference above, the "a live-action series in development at the BBC" bit links to that same year-old press release. Care to share the source for your info?

Lastly ... Dr. Who is arguably, to your average slightly-nerdy American, the best known of the current BBC TV crop. Series 7 premiered to 1.5 million viewers in September of last year which was the highest ratings in BBC America history. In comparison, TWD delivered 12 million viewers for the season 3 finale.

PP may very well end up airing on BBC who, as you so rightly point out, are terrific at historical dramas. It may even end up being a great show, well cast & beautifully produced (and, *spoon*, I hope that does end up being the case - I would love to see this series on TV). But it's never going to rival the TWD phenomenon. Ever.

It can't be stressed enough how TWD has been the perfect storm when it comes to value on the secondary market. A critically-acclaimed comic book series that built up a fanatical following over almost a decade. Slow & steady growth in the market which allowed latecomers to get in on the action (and not be priced out immediately due to pre-TV show hype). And a fantastic TV show perfectly timed to coincide with the world's current fascination with zombies.

If anyone thinks there's ANY current comic book that's ever going to mirror the ascent of TWD, they're fooling themselves.

This is spot on. No one will EVER care about a motion comic.... EVER.

I've noticed nobody talks about RIPD anymore, a comic that got a big budget film treatment and big name actors attached to it. How're those books doing on the secondary market? Were they the pure gold many thought they'd be? Where is all the Cowboys and Aliens riches?

I understand some people just don't like the art or storyline. I do.

But I highly encourage those same people keep reading through the 2nd arc. Just borrow someone else's TPB if you must.

It picks up, and turns into an amazing read. I've had friends who voiced the same negative opinions that are in this thread, let them borrow my books, and now they are hooked.

Just give it one more chance. Or don't. But you are missing out.

BTW, I don't think it has a chance in hell to match WD in popularity. I just really enjoy the book.

I've noticed nobody talks about RIPD anymore, a comic that got a big budget film treatment and big name actors attached to it. How're those books doing on the secondary market? Were they the pure gold many thought they'd be? Where is all the Cowboys and Aliens riches?

Type

RIPD Summer Biggest Bomb

into google. Apparently bombed so hard you didn't get to hear about it.

Type

RIPD Summer Biggest Bomb

But... It had a movie made... It had big name stars attached... You mean this doesn't automatically mean that a book that crosses over into other media will make people instantly wealthy? :kidaround:

Type

RIPD Summer Biggest Bomb

But... It had a movie made... It had big name stars attached... You mean this doesn't automatically mean that a book that crosses over into other media will make people instantly wealthy? :kidaround:

hehe

The first RIPD series is still tough to find but the film tanked. When that happens the value of the comics should suffer on the market. The same will happen to PP and others. I'm surprised WD keys haven't seen value decreases based on weak seasons.

Edited by MrWeen

The first RIPD series is still tough to find but the film tanked. When that happens the value of the comics should suffer on the market. The same will happen to PP and others. I'm surprised WD keys haven't seen value decreases based on weak seasons.

Which Walking Dead seson(s) tanked? lol

You may think some of them were weak (and I agree to an extent), but the general public certainly didn't. WD's ratings are the cable TV equivalent of Titanic's box office gross at this point.

I think if and when PP gets made into a live action show, it'll attract alot of attention from older generation viewers that know little or nothing about the comic book. If you're in your 50s or 60s or older and you've got a woody for WWII, you also remember Peter Pan fondly. It was a bedtime story and tale you were familiar with because generations before you had revered it.

Maybe these folks are the same ones that watch WWII colorized on the History Channel and buy all those Time Life behind the scenes documentaries on DVD.

I think BBC gets less attention in the US and markedly more attention everywhere else.

To compare it to TWD is a hugely unfair comparison because it has nothing to do with science gone wrong or apocalypses or the undead.

The story is firmly rooted in 'reality' that some folks may find unfamiliar, yet interesting in it's retelling of history with a new twist.

If they happen to score some big talent for the show that's recognizable to fans of all ages that'll improve the viewership and include many younger folks.

As far as motion comics are concerned: they don't move the world and nobody expected that they would. They DO however serve as a good preliminary step to better exposure. Don't kid yourself that R. Perlman, E. Wood and S. Glau have not given this title and won't continue to give this title a lift when attached in any capacity.

Which Walking Dead seson(s) tanked? lol

You may think some of them were weak (and I agree to an extent), but the general public certainly didn't. WD's ratings are the cable TV equivalent of Titanic's box office gross at this point.

rating are great for now but any more growth in terms of value for the wd series it going to depend in part on the quality of the show and the show has been pretty weak. what do i know tho, i like Defiance.

Perlman, E. Wood and S. Glau are no where close to being big celeberties.

If the three of them made a movie together it would most likely go straight to video.

Agree. The fact that it uses WWII as a backdrop for telling a story is more influential than anything.

Plus I would have much rather seen it be actual animation than stop motion.

Oh I do.

I bombed on this big time.

Win some, lose some.

This was a loss. Actually a massacre - I'm giving mine away as doorstops for Xmas.. yup, its that bad. :facepalm:

I have explained why.

Is this book aimed at kids?

Most kids don't give a damn about Peter Pan. Do yours?

I've owned 2 #1's and sold one for $220 and another for $265 and I bought them because of speculation from yourself Andy so I thank you for that... But I've never thought that PP was anything special. I read the first 4 issues and found it tough to get past the artwork and unappealing story line.

WW2 is not uninteresting.

WW2 + Peter Pan in comic book form is uninteresting IMO

Not everyone who disagrees is a hater or someone who has never owned one. Just the same as not everyone who defends it has multiple copies or stands to get financial gain such as yourself.

Just my opinion :)

And It's welcome James (nice to see you back after quite a while).... hater was a general term, it wasn't aimed at you, Michael or anyone else.

It was just a counter position, which I, personally still feel is valid.

I'm not a guru - see RIPD for that, but I have a lot of faith in this book.

2c

No hype or anything....but I did notice something anomalous when checking out Spawn #1 in CGC 9.9:

The 2011 avg. for it was: $255

The 2012 avg. for it was: $300

The 12 mnth avg. for it was: $442

The 90 day avg. for it was: $850

Someone know something that I don't? Is Spawn about to come back in some big way? I know there've been rumors for awhile but nothing I'm aware of that's solidified yet. Is this tail end Angela & GOTG impact?

No hype or anything....but I did notice something anomalous when checking out Spawn #1 in CGC 9.9:

Someone know something that I don't? Is Spawn about to come back in some big way? I know there've been rumors for awhile but nothing I'm aware of that's solidified yet. Is this tail end Angela & GOTG impact?

Jamie Foxx wants to do another Spawn Movie.

i would rather see a sequel to stealth

i would rather see a sequel to stealth

I'd prefer more performances like this

And just him talking about his desire is enough to almost double the price?

Must be something more tangible than that. Anyone in the market for a 9.9 knows there are about 60 of them on the census....they come up for sale periodically...(a few a year). So if you wait long enough you'd get one for the average price. Unless someone was totally unaware of that or had really deep pockets and an unquenchable hunger for Spawn......then all bets are off.

Methinks something wicked this way comes :wink: