• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,836 posts in this topic

I tried to read this, I mean really tried to read it, but I just couldn't. I love the weird and ridiculous, but this was just bad. They tried way too hard.

Ditto. Had it been a labor of love crafted over time instead of a marketing gimmick for a sappy TV commercial of a show it may have had potential, but 6 pages in I had to keep myself for throwing up due to sheer horribleness.

Ghosted on the otherhand is rock solid. LOVE that book.

Lazarus is good too, but much slower paced and complicated than Ghosted.

Another GREAT book people are missing out on is Six Gun Gorilla. That tale is wicked and fresh and FUN!

Agree with the Ghosted and Lazarus comments. I love SGG. I think the reason its not selling is because of the mini series stigma but not every book has to be an investment. This is a fantastic story that people should read in TPB form if nothing else is available to them.

you all see the crytozoic man #1?

It was an interesting read, but the prose got a little dense...some are gonna love it and some are gonna hate it...but what interests me is that it's sure to get promoted on TV ( it's by the comic book men )...and history shows that that makes a great value bump...

right now it seems to be sleeping selling under cover...

I tried to read this, I mean really tried to read it, but I just couldn't. I love the weird and ridiculous, but this was just bad. They tried way too hard. Shame too, because Flannigan is pretty damn talented.

However, I would agree with you that this book might get some heat from TV pushing, but probably wont last long. I just cant see this building steady readership.

Sorry but Flannigan is awful. Read The Widening Gyre....It's to bad because I love the villain Onomatopoeia.

you all see the crytozoic man #1?

It was an interesting read, but the prose got a little dense...some are gonna love it and some are gonna hate it...but what interests me is that it's sure to get promoted on TV ( it's by the comic book men )...and history shows that that makes a great value bump...

right now it seems to be sleeping selling under cover...

I tried to read this, I mean really tried to read it, but I just couldn't. I love the weird and ridiculous, but this was just bad. They tried way too hard. Shame too, because Flannigan is pretty damn talented.

However, I would agree with you that this book might get some heat from TV pushing, but probably wont last long. I just cant see this building steady readership.

Sorry but Flannigan is awful. Read The Widening Gyre....It's to bad because I love the villain Onomatopoeia.

I did read Widening Gyre, and Cacophany, and I didn't think Flannigan was that bad actually. Obviously not my favorite artist, but he held his own.

The art from Cryptozoic Man is very detailed, and probably took him forever, its just too bad the story sucked. It would be cool to see Flannigan do the art for something that wasnt written by one of his buddies.

Only books I really saw this week that I read or liked were the following. Overall disappointing week for me.

Rocket Girl - Very refreshing and bright art. Amy Reeder I think. The story I need to read again, but unsure if it will hook readers. This book might not be a hit, but the art was just popped paged to page.

Three - I just like the back drop of the story so far.

Forever Evil - Things are shaping up well in this mini so far.

Coffin Hill - I need another issue to tell on this book. It didnt pull me in, but left me curious for next issue.

Forever Evil Arkham War - Love Scott Eaton his art is sorely missed from his Thor days. Too much on Bane in first issue so I need another 2 or 3 to see if this has promise or not.

Fastball, was Afterlife With Archie not your cup of tea?

I havent had a chance to read a copy yet.(All grab a copy at a show this weekend and read it.)

That being said I tend to stay away from books that everyone is posting pics about saying look what I got. Not saying there is not a good spec purchase there, I just try not to run with the herd.

I havent had a chance to read a copy yet.(All grab a copy at a show this weekend and read it.)

That being said I tend to stay away from books that everyone is posting pics about saying look what I got. Not saying there is not a good spec purchase there, I just try not to run with the herd.

It's a good strategy. If box breaks and shots are happening in the same place, that should be a heavy handed hint.

Gotcha. I love Archie books as it is, though I recognize it might not be everyone's thing. Hope you get a copy and enjoy it! :popcorn:

It's a good strategy. If box breaks and shots are happening in the same place, that should be a heavy handed hint.

This brings up a good point, what's the purpose of the BSD photos of your comic stash? Nothing kills a book faster than killing the illusion of scarcity.

This brings up a good point, what's the purpose of the BSD photos of your comic stash? Nothing kills a book faster than killing the illusion of scarcity.

Too many people don't realize that simple fact. Kind of like how people were saying Joker's Daughter 3-D was "rare" when dealers had stacks of them that weren't selling at some of the comic shows. lol

Some dealers had stacks...the simple fact is that with a 30,ooo print run....there are more people that want them then to supply....

If you want to talk about the illusion of scarcity....how many people know that debeers keeps diamond prices high, and just don't care....

Try asking someone to marry you without a diamond in your pocket?

JD was a good buy. It is still bringing multiples of cost. Supply and demand, not rarity drives prices.
In this equation are supply and rarity not the same thing? Doesn't perception of scarcity at times drive demand and perception of surplus stifle it?

JD was a good buy. It is still bringing multiples of cost. Supply and demand, not rarity drives prices.

If you bought it at cover price maybe, (and flipped it fast) but many people who bought it the first week paid $50-$90.00. Now it goes for roughly $13-$25 on E-bay and dropping to new lows almost daily.

To some a quick buck, to others a hot potato that burned em badly.

Edited by Rip

In this equation are supply and rarity not the same thing? Doesn't perception of scarcity at times drive demand and perception of surplus stifle it?

To me a rare book for example would be the Five Ghosts SDCC set in which they number to fifty. Batman 1 isn't rare to me as over 150,000 were produced and I would venture to say that most are in NM condition or at least in that ballpark. Batman 1 still brings a huge premium and was a great buy in spite of its production due to demand.

I completely agree that perception rules over and replaces reality in many cases. I remember buying Spawn 1 at $8 to $10 per in the early 90s which is an example your point. I don't consider that book rare but it did have a perceived scarcity at that time. 2c

If you bought it at cover price maybe, (and flipped it fast) but many people who bought it the first week paid $50-$90.00. Now it goes for roughly $13-$25 on E-bay and dropping to new lows almost daily.

To some a quick buck, to others a hot potato that burned em badly.

Yes, I meant at cover. I don't think a lot of people on this site are paying $25 for a book that came out this month although I could be wrong. It has happened before lol

To me a rare book for example would be the Five Ghosts SDCC set in which they number to fifty. Batman 1 isn't rare to me as over 150,000 were produced and I would venture to say that most are in NM condition or at least in that ballpark. Batman 1 still brings a huge premium and was a great buy in spite of its production due to demand.

I completely agree that perception rules over and replaces reality in many cases. I remember buying Spawn 1 at $8 to $10 per in the early 90s which is an example your point. I don't consider that book rare but it did have a perceived scarcity at that time. 2c

I think I misunderstood your first post, I thought you were saying that rarity is not a factor in pricing, but I think you were saying that rarity alone does not control pricing. I think we agree that supply and demand dictate price and rarity is a factor that can limit the supply and perception of rarity can fuel demand.