• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,829 posts in this topic

Morning, new to the boards. Just picked up a few 2nd series Amazing Spider Man Campbell covers for less than cover. Debating getting the Caselli variant for SSM. Eventually I'd like to have all of the ASM Campbell variants when my wallet allows it. I've got the #688 only so far.

And, the SSM #20, and #22. Personally I would like an original cover instead of these old prints Marvel has been using for Campbell's variants. I.E SSM #20. I've got the J.G Jones SSM on order. I really dug his variants for the SSM so far. There seems to be quite a lot of incentive covers for SSM as of late. Oh, also someone made mention of the writers being hired for the Sinister Six flick and Venom flick; confirmed. Oh, yeah what was I here for...

This..

http://www.newsarama.com/19785-marvel-1st-looks-black-widow-marvel-knights-hulk-2-more.html

A look at the ACTUAL variant cover for the Campbell Black Widow #1 variant for the All New Marvel Now title. Looks oookay. I think topping the appeal of the SSM #20 is going to be tough!

Is this a new high for a raw copy? Walking Dead #53 - eBay

If so, holy mess.

$80 as a high, how is that shocking?

At conventions two years ago, they were going for like $55 or so.

$20-40 a month or two ago.

"Tina, come get your dinner you fat lard."

I know, it's a Llama.

Pat

So looking for everyones opinion on why Harley Quinn books are so hot.

I get they are 20 years old and everyone wants early appearances

but what has caused this spike in demand this year and record sales prices?

Does everyone think Harley Quinn should be the most valuable new character of the 1990's ?

"Tina, come get your dinner you fat lard."

I know, it's a Llama.

Pat

:roflmao:

Does everyone think Harley Quinn should be the most valuable new character of the 1990's ?

Harley Quinn by far is one of biggest cosplay outfits at cons, so I would say very popular.

its been heating up for almost two years straight, what happens is the speculator critical mass. once the greed feeding fenzy threshold is crossed, then things go nuts.

Same thing happened with Saga and PP last Jan/Feb. Both had been hot for almost a year, but then it crossed the spec frenzy threshold. In the case of BA 12 though, unlike the others, its much harder for people to get and hoard.

It wont bottom out like the Image books did, it'll probably pull back, but its now permanently jacked up, with too many people being committed to holding.

Kids who grew up in the 80s and 90s watching the Batman, X-Men, and Spider-Man cartoons on Fox are now in their 20s and 30s and have disposable income to blow on things like collecting comics.

The characters that were featured in these shows that were creations of the 80s and 90s (as opposed to the characters that had been around since the gold and silver age) have all seen an increase in demand over the past couple of years. Newer characters like Gambit were just as popular with kids back in the day as any of the original X-Men. So you have newer collectors that have strong ties (and perhaps even stronger ties) to the newer crop of characters than they do with any of the characters created decades before. Even if someone does favor someone like Cyclops over Cable, there is a good chance they cannot afford those older books anyway.

Why Harley Quinn specifically is so popular? I'm not exactly sure, she just seems to be everywhere (except on the big screen), so that likely has something to do with it. Another big part of it from what I can see is her strong female following. I've sold more Harley books over the past year (mostly non-keys btw) than anything else and I would say probably 70% of my buyers have been females. I sold a handful of BA 12s last Christmas and every one of them was purchased by a female.

Kids who grew up in the 80s and 90s watching the Batman, X-Men, and Spider-Man cartoons on Fox are now in their 20s and 30s and have disposable income to blow on things like collecting comics.

The characters that were featured in these shows that were creations of the 80s and 90s (as opposed to the characters that had been around since the gold and silver age) have all seen an increase in demand over the past couple of years. Newer characters like Gambit were just as popular with kids back in the day as any of the original X-Men. So you have newer collectors that have strong ties (and perhaps even stronger ties) to the newer crop of characters than they do with any of the characters created decades before. Even if someone does favor someone like Cyclops over Cable, there is a good chance they cannot afford those older books anyway.

Why Harley Quinn specifically is so popular? I'm not exactly sure, she just seems to be everywhere (except on the big screen), so that likely has something to do with it. Another big part of it from what I can see is her strong female following. I've sold more Harley books over the past year (mostly non-keys btw) than anything else and I would say probably 70% of my buyers have been females. I sold a handful of BA 12s last Christmas and every one of them was purchased by a female.

Speaking of the X-men cartoon, my kids loved Morph and looked at him as an original. Maybe he is next (shrug)