• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,839 posts in this topic

its been heating up for almost two years straight, what happens is the speculator critical mass. once the greed feeding fenzy threshold is crossed, then things go nuts.

Same thing happened with Saga and PP last Jan/Feb. Both had been hot for almost a year, but then it crossed the spec frenzy threshold. In the case of BA 12 though, unlike the others, its much harder for people to get and hoard.

It wont bottom out like the Image books did, it'll probably pull back, but its now permanently jacked up, with too many people being committed to holding.

So is it going to be Eastt of West this Jan/Feb?

its been heating up for almost two years straight, what happens is the speculator critical mass. once the greed feeding fenzy threshold is crossed, then things go nuts.

Same thing happened with Saga and PP last Jan/Feb. Both had been hot for almost a year, but then it crossed the spec frenzy threshold. In the case of BA 12 though, unlike the others, its much harder for people to get and hoard.

It wont bottom out like the Image books did, it'll probably pull back, but its now permanently jacked up, with too many people being committed to holding.

It will happen with EoW eventually, it will just take a bit more time for #1s to get spread around. You still have people who have multiple copies who are happy selling for under $10. Once those thin out you will see the climbing take place.

It will happen with EoW eventually, it will just take a bit more time for #1s to get spread around. You still have people who have multiple copies who are happy selling for under $10. Once those thin out you will see the climbing take place.

I'm still thinking these will go up in February, at least the sets and maybe #1s. The good news is it won't take long now to find out :grin:

So looking for everyones opinion on why Harley Quinn books are so hot.

I get they are 20 years old and everyone wants early appearances

but what has caused this spike in demand this year and record sales prices?

Does everyone think Harley Quinn should be the most valuable new character of the 1990's ?

Kids who grew up in the 80s and 90s watching the Batman, X-Men, and Spider-Man cartoons on Fox are now in their 20s and 30s and have disposable income to blow on things like collecting comics.

The characters that were featured in these shows that were creations of the 80s and 90s (as opposed to the characters that had been around since the gold and silver age) have all seen an increase in demand over the past couple of years. Newer characters like Gambit were just as popular with kids back in the day as any of the original X-Men. So you have newer collectors that have strong ties (and perhaps even stronger ties) to the newer crop of characters than they do with any of the characters created decades before. Even if someone does favor someone like Cyclops over Cable, there is a good chance they cannot afford those older books anyway.

Why Harley Quinn specifically is so popular? I'm not exactly sure, she just seems to be everywhere (except on the big screen), so that likely has something to do with it. Another big part of it from what I can see is her strong female following. I've sold more Harley books over the past year (mostly non-keys btw) than anything else and I would say probably 70% of my buyers have been females. I sold a handful of BA 12s last Christmas and every one of them was purchased by a female.

Yep, and women aren't cheap like you tightwads. lol They tend to know what they want and get it. :sumo:

Does everyone think Harley Quinn should be the most valuable new character of the 1990's ?

Kids who grew up in the 80s and 90s watching the Batman, X-Men, and Spider-Man cartoons on Fox are now in their 20s and 30s and have disposable income to blow on things like collecting comics.

The characters that were featured in these shows that were creations of the 80s and 90s (as opposed to the characters that had been around since the gold and silver age) have all seen an increase in demand over the past couple of years. Newer characters like Gambit were just as popular with kids back in the day as any of the original X-Men. So you have newer collectors that have strong ties (and perhaps even stronger ties) to the newer crop of characters than they do with any of the characters created decades before. Even if someone does favor someone like Cyclops over Cable, there is a good chance they cannot afford those older books anyway.

Why Harley Quinn specifically is so popular? I'm not exactly sure, she just seems to be everywhere (except on the big screen), so that likely has something to do with it. Another big part of it from what I can see is her strong female following. I've sold more Harley books over the past year (mostly non-keys btw) than anything else and I would say probably 70% of my buyers have been females. I sold a handful of BA 12s last Christmas and every one of them was purchased by a female.

Yep, and women aren't cheap like you tightwads. lol They tend to know what they want and get it. :sumo:

Im selling Harley's all over the world now to women and men. Just sold a set of one shots and mini's to a buyer in Saudia Arabia.

What's nice is they seem to buying to collect everything and I mean everything. I think BA 12 is going to plateau soon, but there is a lot of movement available for some of her one shots, minis and the original series.

So are all of these listings basically 'going price' or are they 'heating up'?

I think the Batman 1 is bringing a little more than it has been recently but no clue about the others.

Batman #1 was around $100 in the late summer. The others that I post are ones where I see the book is doing well.

Edited by jackhartmann

Im selling Harley's all over the world now to women and men. Just sold a set of one shots and mini's to a buyer in Saudia Arabia.

What's nice is they seem to buying to collect everything and I mean everything. I think BA 12 is going to plateau soon, but there is a lot of movement available for some of her one shots, minis and the original series.

I am experiencing the same kind of demand (thumbs u

Anybody catch the upcoming Black Widow (Campbell) variant? For a Campbell variant, it is somewhat lacking (compared to SUP SPM 20). Thoughts?

Meck

Where can i see an image?

I think this might be it.

blackwidow1campbellsketch.jpg

source: Newsarama

Backtracking a bit to the IDW TMNT; I've found that any Cover A from the first 7 or so sell very quickly; followed by the RI Cover. For some reason, Cover B doesn't move at all.

On #5A, that's the first cover by Mateus Santolouco, and appears to be relatively hard to find.