• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,832 posts in this topic

Your comment read as an insult though it may not have been your intention. I look at a like this. A single $5 profit is no big deal but do it a 100 times a month, you have $500. Do that 12 times a year, $6000. Do that another 4 years and you have enough to pay cash for a nice car. 2c

I give anyone credit if they are making $6000 a year off moderns, heck yeah that would be nice. I just see an eerily similarity between this new breed of speculation compared to the dark days of the 90's. Of course the print runs are way different, but the buy every book in multiples regardless of content is in place.

Lots of people do much more than $6000 a year from moderns.

This is from my summary page on Ebay.

Do you hit the Paypal reporting threshold, in terms of taxes? Does that become an issue?

I have since they have been reporting. After you factor in ebay/paypal, fees, postage fees, cgc grading fees. The cost of doing business is offset quite a bit. But it's still some nice extra money to supply my silly Thanos cravings lol

Your comment read as an insult though it may not have been your intention. I look at a like this. A single $5 profit is no big deal but do it a 100 times a month, you have $500. Do that 12 times a year, $6000. Do that another 4 years and you have enough to pay cash for a nice car. 2c

I give anyone credit if they are making $6000 a year off moderns, heck yeah that would be nice. I just see an eerily similarity between this new breed of speculation compared to the dark days of the 90's. Of course the print runs are way different, but the buy every book in multiples regardless of content is in place.

Do you hit the Paypal reporting threshold, in terms of taxes? Does that become an issue?

I have since they have been reporting. After you factor in ebay/paypal, fees, postage fees, cgc grading fees. The cost of doing business is offset quite a bit. But it's still some nice extra money to supply my silly Thanos cravings lol

:applause:

I was just wondering if you had a strategy for backing off near the end of the year to stay under the magic number. Are you married? Is it feasible to have a spouse doing some of the selling, from an accounting perspective?

:applause:

I was just wondering if you had a strategy for backing off near the end of the year to stay under the magic number. Are you married? Is it feasible to have a spouse doing some of the selling, from an accounting perspective?

I do.. but when she says things like...'your comic room' you know she doesn't want any part of it lol

I give anyone credit if they are making $6000 a year off moderns, heck yeah that would be nice. I just see an eerily similarity between this new breed of speculation compared to the dark days of the 90's. Of course the print runs are way different, [b]but the buy every book in multiples regardless of content is in place. [/b]

I collect almost exclusively moderns because A) I cant afford the nice GA/SA keys, and B) it's what I was growing up with. I understand your "concern" for the market trends as by comparison to those from the 90's. However, to say that every book is boing bought out at super high print runs is over exaggeration. My LCS has a ton of books left over from various titles each week. I believe it's one of the reasons the large publishers started the buyback program where retailers can resell the books to the publishers at minimum loss.

Speculation in comics is just like speculation in anything. that is, Speculation.

I'm growing up in a generation where there won't be an Action comics #1, or Amazing Fantasy #15. Print runs are higher, comic supplies are made to boost longevity, and things like grading exist. (And yes I know there is a NEW 52 Action comics for all you smart azzes out there.) That being said, we will never see the high thousands, in some cases million dollar highs the GA/SA have hit.

I'm not going to call you a troll or say anything mean, but always be aware that when you speak/type, you are submitting your comments to mass .....wait for it...

...Speculation.

Sincerely,

Gunnz

Sunfire & The Big Hero 6 #1 $25-$30 range. It's the real 1st appearance of the team, 2 months before Alpha Flight Vol 2 #17. Disney animated movie coming in November

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUNFIRE-BIG-HERO-6-1-VF-NM-1st-Print-Appearance-1998-New-DISNEY-Movie-Six-/201034063913?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2ece906029

I think these books will continue to climb I have several I am still holding. Funny thing I can find all of these issues except issue 2 for some reason that issue is pretty tough to find when I look to make the sets.

I think Alpha Flight # 17 is getting most of the attention right now.

old news

its all about the gay alpha flight second print, holla

lol...this is a post I can get behind!!

That is just so wrong.

I give anyone credit if they are making $6000 a year off moderns, heck yeah that would be nice. I just see an eerily similarity between this new breed of speculation compared to the dark days of the 90's. Of course the print runs are way different, [b]but the buy every book in multiples regardless of content is in place. [/b]

I collect almost exclusively moderns because A) I cant afford the nice GA/SA keys, and B) it's what I was growing up with. I understand your "concern" for the market trends as by comparison to those from the 90's. However, to say that every book is boing bought out at super high print runs is over exaggeration. My LCS has a ton of books left over from various titles each week. I believe it's one of the reasons the large publishers started the buyback program where retailers can resell the books to the publishers at minimum loss.

Speculation in comics is just like speculation in anything. that is, Speculation.

I'm growing up in a generation where there won't be an Action comics #1, or Amazing Fantasy #15. Print runs are higher, comic supplies are made to boost longevity, and things like grading exist. (And yes I know there is a NEW 52 Action comics for all you smart azzes out there.) That being said, we will never see the high thousands, in some cases million dollar highs the GA/SA have hit.

I'm not going to call you a troll or say anything mean, but always be aware that when you speak/type, you are submitting your comments to mass .....wait for it...

...Speculation.

Sincerely,

Gunnz

Print runs today are actually much lower than than they were in every other age of comics. The main reason those books are rare is that they were disposable (and many golden age books were either burned or recycled during the paper drives). As long as comic collectors exist, collectible books will pop up, it just won't be the books that everyone thinks, and you are right they will never reach the height of the golden age keys, but that's ok. I don't think anyone's thinking they will put their kids through college with their modern hoard like in the early 90's.

Sunfire & The Big Hero 6 #1 $25-$30 range. It's the real 1st appearance of the team, 2 months before Alpha Flight Vol 2 #17. Disney animated movie coming in November

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUNFIRE-BIG-HERO-6-1-VF-NM-1st-Print-Appearance-1998-New-DISNEY-Movie-Six-/201034063913?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2ece906029

I think these books will continue to climb I have several I am still holding. Funny thing I can find all of these issues except issue 2 for some reason that issue is pretty tough to find when I look to make the sets.

I think Alpha Flight # 17 is getting most of the attention right now.

old news

its all about the gay alpha flight second print, holla

lol...this is a post I can get behind!!

doh!:jokealert:

...Speculation.

Sincerely,

Gunnz

Print runs today are actually much lower than than they were in every other age of comics. The main reason those books are rare is that they were disposable (and many golden age books were either burned or recycled during the paper drives). As long as comic collectors exist, collectible books will pop up, it just won't be the books that everyone thinks, and you are right they will never reach the height of the golden age keys, but that's ok. I don't think anyone's thinking they will put their kids through college with their modern hoard like in the early 90's.

+1

That says it all.

Disney Big Hero 6 first look intro.

The animation looks good, it doesn't show much. Is this going to be released in theaters or a direct to DVD release like all of the DC animated movies?

This is Marvel. Theatrical release.

I just put my Manifest Destiny 1-3 + Ottley #1 variant on eBay, BIN for $100.

Yes, that is an aggressive price. I might be leaving $ on the table by not getting them graded, though.

No, I don't expect it to sell right away. Maybe not at all. Fine by me either way.

:D

-slym

Good luck with that, I just sold a 1-3 regular for 55...and I'm pretty sure I could have gotten 60....sold in a couple of hours

Okay I'm in regular contact with a couple of my LCSs and they are telling me that their Tales of Honor covers are all bad....I went to the big one around and found a few good ones...but cover D seems to be generally bad....

This comic has Hawkins, a video game, a movie, seems pretty small print runs judging by my LCSs....and it's very cheap still....I didn't buy a lot cause the story seemed a little dull, but first issue you know....

Yes, that is an aggressive price. I might be leaving $ on the table by not getting them graded, though.

No, I don't expect it to sell right away. Maybe not at all. Fine by me either way.

-slym

lol that's my problem need a possible 9.8 canadite on the ottley without loosing my shirt. :pullhair:

...Speculation.

Sincerely,

Gunnz

Depends on whether they hoarded the right books or not. As crazy as it may be, based on current prices a small stack of #1s from the past decade like WD #1, Saga #1, New 52 Batman #1 etc. could do it. As long as you buy multiples of the right books for cover or just above, it could be possible. All it would take is the right long box or two of storage space. (shrug)

I am starting to finally sort through my Copper and Modern boxes and it amazes me at how much some of the early issues in runs like Saga, New 52 Batman and associated titles, mid to late 00s Marvels with movie tie-ins, etc. are going for. A long box of the right 200 - 250 books bagged and boarded can be worth $2000 - $5000 (or more) and sell readily here or on the boards, but the cost of picking them up would only be $500 or so with file discounts.

On the flip side, I am finding a ton of SA and BA common books in lower to mid grades from collection purchases that do not move at 50% of guide. :tonofbricks:

Edited by kimik

-slym

Not that aggressive. I had mine listed for $80 OBO and it sold in minute for $75. And this was on like Tuesday or Wednesday.