• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,832 posts in this topic

Early Deadpool appearances hold value, why should Rocket be any different? Look if Disney can make a buck off Figment who knows how high the ceiling is for Rocket.

------------

How so? NM 98 is worth some coin, but after that the next __ of appearances are still worthless (not that i don't pick them up if cheap). His mini is now worth something (although someone here was just selling them for $5 a copy, so not so much i guess) and the books from the 1990s series are good back issues, with the two punisher books bringing real coin, but for the most part we're talking about $5-$15 books, which is great, but this is $100 for RRs roughly 18th appearance. that's what i'm saying. a raw copy of wolverine's 18th appearance isn't worth that much.

Not saying it should be in the quarter box. Not saying it shouldn't be a $25-$40ish book raw. Not saying it shouldn't even be $100 as a 9.8 slab.

Print runs man. There's like half a million copies of X-Force #2 compared to 50K or so of GOTG #1, and it's the 1st appearance of the current team. You know, the one the movie is based on

Deadpool regular series had low print runs. Is #1 now even a $25 book yet (raw)? (I'm asking, when I sold a few of these a little while back it was not)

Yes, current team, but any new characters?

I'm blanking here, but is there any mainstream, non-variant, marvel (or even DC) from the last 10 years that is at $100 a pop like that? Batman 1 New 52 I guess is/was flirting with $70 in some sales?

I'll dig through my boxes. I might have a copy. If so, that price is TOTALLY justified and whoever is questioning it is a frigging insufficiently_thoughtful_person, myself included.

I suppose if Preacher 1 is a $100+ raw book, then anything makes sense as I assume Preacher had a healthy six figure print-run. A year ago I could have gone to a big show and come back with a box of Preacher 1s and likely not paid more than $10 each, perhaps even $5 or even $2. GOTG 1 might have been a $1-$2 box book, but good luck actually finding it in such a box. (Of course, I guess copies were on ebay...)

Information only:

Preacher did not have a healthy six figure print-run for #1. In Feb1995, it only managed a 28.2 index (approx 31020 to 33840 sales)

where is that coming from? does that data capture all the various distributors? by then the vertigo line was pretty well established and a new #1 one would think would have sold some copies. i find that very surprising. i know print-runs had already started to fall by then, but 35K numbers then were cancellation figures.

According to Mile High chuck's website capital and diamond had almost the same market share at the time (this was before marvel dumped them and things went nuts), comichron only has data for one of them, so, in theory, multiply that number by 1.8-2X to get both diamond's and capital city's sales. so, not a 100K sales book, but maybe 65-70K.

Deadpool regular series had low print runs. Is #1 now even a $25 book yet (raw)? (I'm asking, when I sold a few of these a little while back it was not)

I'm blanking here, but is there any mainstream, non-variant, marvel (or even DC) from the last 10 years that is at $100 a pop like that? Batman 1 New 52 I guess is/was flirting with $70 in some sales?

Deadpool's first Solo series (Circle Chase) #1 sells for $15 raw (9.4-9.6) and $65+ CGC 9.8.

To the best of my memory, the Marvel/DC 2013/2014 books with the most immediate pop are Deadpool 27, Catwoman 23, Harley Quinn #0 and Forever Evil #1 3D.

RMA should chime in because he does a lot of research on this stuff, although maybe late 1994/early 1995 is outside of his happy zone, I don't know.

There is nothing outside RMA's "happy zone". Nothing. :sumo:

I guess it is smack dab in the middle of his happy zone:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7789576

That'll pay for a day at the spa for him and one for his doggies as well, or whatever it is that people in L.A. do for relaxation. Where I live it is apparently dodging beer bottles in the middle of the night.

Edited by the blob

Early Deadpool appearances hold value, why should Rocket be any different? Look if Disney can make a buck off Figment who knows how high the ceiling is for Rocket.

------------

How so? NM 98 is worth some coin, but after that the next __ of appearances are still worthless (not that i don't pick them up if cheap). His mini is now worth something (although someone here was just selling them for $5 a copy, so not so much i guess) and the books from the 1990s series are good back issues, with the two punisher books bringing real coin, but for the most part we're talking about $5-$15 books, which is great, but this is $100 for RRs roughly 18th appearance. that's what i'm saying. a raw copy of wolverine's 18th appearance isn't worth that much.

Not saying it should be in the quarter box. Not saying it shouldn't be a $25-$40ish book raw. Not saying it shouldn't even be $100 as a 9.8 slab.

Print runs man. There's like half a million copies of X-Force #2 compared to 50K or so of GOTG #1, and it's the 1st appearance of the current team. You know, the one the movie is based on

But even with a 50,000 print run there is still a huge supply of them in high grade. There aren't 50,000 buyers out there clamoring for a copy. There are a couple of hundred speculators/hoarders trying to flip it.

I'll buy the print run argument for a book like Walking Dead 1 where the demand might really exceed the total run. For most other books, the supply is still pretty big. GOTG 1 isn't a 1st or close to a 1st for any of those characters (is it a 2nd Groot? I admit I don't know). I guess you could try to argue this is the modern equivalent of Defenders 1, but I don't think it's anything more than temporary movie hype. That GOTG book had its fans, but was and is a near nonentity in the Marvel Universe.

------------

But even with a 50,000 print run there is still a huge supply of them in high grade. There aren't 50,000 buyers out there clamoring for a copy. There are a couple of hundred speculators/hoarders trying to flip it.

I'll buy the print run argument for a book like Walking Dead 1 where the demand might really exceed the total run. For most other books, the supply is still pretty big. GOTG 1 isn't a 1st or close to a 1st for any of those characters (is it a 2nd Groot? I admit I don't know). I guess you could try to argue this is the modern equivalent of Defenders 1, but I don't think it's anything more than temporary movie hype. That GOTG book had its fans, but was and is a near nonentity in the Marvel Universe.

Avengers #1 isn't the first appearance of any of those characters... Don't you think a big blockbuster movie could make the GOTG an entity in the Marvel Universe hm

Edited by Mr. Solo Dolo

------------

Avengers #1 isn't the first appearance of any of those characters... Don't you think a big blockbuster movie could make the GOTG an entity in the Marvel Universe hm

Collectors shouldn't discount the importance of Annihilation Conquest 6 either.

------------

I find it hard to believe. But then again when I saw the GOTG trailer, I thought "Good lord, this is the end of Marvel. This is going to make people pine for Battlefield Earth." And then people started acting like it actually looked good so, hey, anything's possible.

But even if it's a hit, I don't really think a movie makes for much of a change in the comic book world. Blade was a hit franchise and... nada. He was never going to have much to do with the broader Marvel Universe. GOTG seem like they are best suited to stick to their own little corner - they wouldn't work if they got spread out through half the titles like the Avengers.

I disagree.

The world of comics was way different in the time of the Blade trilogy.

I also think Rockeet is gonna be a rock star after the first weekend in August.

Guess we'll see.

I dunno, smart money seems to be on a dud . . . (shrug)

(Notice I said "smart" and not "my" . . . :grin: )

I disagree.

Guess we'll see.

What smart money would this be exactly?

I disagree.

Guess we'll see.

What smart money would this be exactly?

The real question would be, "What's your money on?" :grin: