• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,829 posts in this topic

I agree, claiming a book is a 9.9 or a 10.0 is an immediate red flag for me. I don't think I've even been brazen enough to sell raws and claim they are 9.8 candidates.

How would you recognize a 9.9 from a 10, BTW? ;)

10 is an ideal grade, earthly perfection does not exist, let alone on a delicate paper item as a comic book.

My guess is once you rule out any physical imperfections you start inspecting the richness of the color and paper brightness.

I agree, claiming a book is a 9.9 or a 10.0 is an immediate red flag for me. I don't think I've even been brazen enough to sell raws and claim they are 9.8 candidates.

10 is an ideal grade, earthly perfection does not exist, let alone on a delicate paper item as a comic book.

My guess is once you rule out any physical imperfections you start inspecting the richness of the color and paper brightness.

Honestly, you can’t have a "perfect" object – there will be always some flaws, even invisible to the eye.

My point is that 10 is an ideal grade, as much as a table without dust settled on it, or a controlled scientific environment: not "perfect" regardless.

I am more than happy with a NM/NM+, otherwise it’s more a worry than the happiness of having a great copy "as new", which of course I like. :)

Me personally? I don't. lol I've popped 4 9.9s after a year of submitting, and I never expected any of them to be above 9.8. Never even crossed my mind.

I see what you mean though in regards to 9.9s/10.0

You're reminding me of my data structures and algorithms professor that never gave 100% on anything :makepoint:

As a vote? :D

Well, if they have a 1-10 scale, votes are another matter, they should give 1 as well as 10. ;)

He never gave perfect marks on any assignment no matter how good it was, because he would often say, there is always a flaw, we've just failed to find it.

You're reminding me of my data structures and algorithms professor that never gave 100% on anything :makepoint:

As a vote? :D

Well, if they have a 1-10 scale, votes are another matter, they should give 1 as well as 10. ;)

He never gave perfect marks on any assignment no matter how good it was, because he would often say, there is always a flaw, we've just failed to find it.

I had a very similar professor my senior year of college. He said telling a student they had done "perfectly" on an assignment was tantamount to saying they didn't need his class at all. :blahblah: I understand the idea he was trying to get across. But he was really just a pompous :censored:

Honestly, you can’t have a "perfect" object – there will be always some flaws, even invisible to the eye.

My point is that 10 is an ideal grade, as much as a table without dust settled on it, or a controlled scientific environment: not "perfect" regardless.

I am more than happy with a NM/NM+, otherwise it’s more a worry than the happiness of having a great copy "as new", which of course I like. :)

Tables in space don't have dust on them.

I usually list my books in the 9.8-11.0 range. I feel like if you are gullible enough to fall for it, I deserve your money more than you do.

I also take candy from babies and feed rice to birds. :devil:

Inversely, I think they should have never "invented" grades like 9.8/9.9/10 – especially the last two, are "ideal" grades. The maximum grade should tend to 10, but more or less should be treated the same way. Most 9.6-9.8 would satisfy any desire of a "perfect" copy, IMO.

100% agree with this. It seems like splitting hairs the way it is set up. The thing is, its already started so I see no way of changing it now. 2c

9.6 is it for me no matter what.

That's the most I've ever stated as well IIRC. Typically I just say NM-/NM or better. People are usually pleasantly surprised.

I will say "at least 9.6" at the most, although one time I did say "if there was ever a 9.8 candidate, this comic is it" - because it really was an easy 9.8.

I do wonder what it takes to get 9.9s... I have had a couple of absolutely immaculate comics come back as 9.8s. I am pretty good at grading the UHG stuff because IMHO, those are the easiest to grade. But a couple were, literally, immaculate. Corners sharp enough to draw blood with, no creases, no colour-breaking anything... the only thing is possibly something showing up under UV light. But I have yet to get a 9.9. I think CGC is a little protective of that and the 10 grade.

-slym

9.6 is it for me no matter what.

That's the most I've ever stated as well IIRC. Typically I just say NM-/NM or better. People are usually pleasantly surprised.

I will say "at least 9.6" at the most, although one time I did say "if there was ever a 9.8 candidate, this comic is it" - because it really was an easy 9.8.

I do wonder what it takes to get 9.9s... I have had a couple of absolutely immaculate comics come back as 9.8s. I am pretty good at grading the UHG stuff because IMHO, those are the easiest to grade. But a couple were, literally, immaculate. Corners sharp enough to draw blood with, no creases, no colour-breaking anything... the only thing is possibly something showing up under UV light. But I have yet to get a 9.9. I think CGC is a little protective of that and the 10 grade.

-slym

I will state "9.6/9.8" on certain books I list on eBay if there are no visible flaws on a book, especially if it comes from a batch/hoard of books I purchased all at the same time where I've previously submitted books for grading and have received only 9.6s and 9.8s back. But I would never state anything as a 9.9 or 10 unless it was a graded book.

I have a hard enough time saying 9.6 even on stuff I know will get a 9.8

And that's how it should be. You should look at the book and go "Man this book is absolutely perfect. Its at least a 9.6". You have done all your checks and you can't find a damn thing wrong and you looked hard. And you have the right I think to also tag on a slight premium in my opinion.

Its what I tell slabbers when they are looking at buying a 9.6 from me raw. Yeah all guarantee that grade, but I wont guarantee anything higher.

At that point the buyer has to make an informed decision based on what they can see and what information I can provide them. Personally I think slabbers struggle to buy raw online, but I guess in some cases they don't have a choice if they live in remote areas.

Between the OCD and guessing at buying raws to slab its got to be agonizing. :insane:

Edited by Fastballspecial

I'd take a guess you could resubmit a 9.6 and a 9.8 copy of the same book and keep sending it in to CGC. I'd almost guess each time it'll flip flop between grades. Its just your best guess, pick out the best ones and take the gamble. 2c

I have only submitted about 12 books to CGC in my day, and 2 were 9.9's as I had called them. I would never claim to say a book is a 9.9 if selling it raw, no way.

That being said, I currently have some books on the bay I know are 9.8's , and have no problem saying so in the auction. They are cardstock covers, and not hard to nail down a 9.8 on. I do not guarantee a grade and I usually do just play it safe and say 9.6/9.8, or 9.6+ on most books I think are up there.

Has anyone got the Spider-Gwen variants in from Conquest Comics? 8 issues in one bag and board via Media Mail. Great service for spending $200!

Boy, does this ever sound familiar.....

:popcorn:

I have not received mine yet, but know I am getting nervous.

No need to worry my friend...we are working daily to get these out and should have everything out by Friday. We lost 2 days of shipping due to having Adam Hughes in the shop for the signing event, but are shipping as many as we can daily. Should have everything out in the next 2-3 days so if you have not gotten a tracking number yet, it will arrive shortly.

The reason we put multiple issues in is to simply save time guys. We are trying to get as many out as we can in a day for your guys. They are ALL packed well and secure. No need to worry or let certain folks rile you up. Everyone will get their books safe and sound and ALL will be out in the next few days.

Thanks. Now off to sleep so I can wake up early, to box up more...Night all...

Just got mine today (2 sets of the 3 variants) and while they did come in a box, the issues were 3 in a bag with 1 board instead so each having their own bag and board. Additionally all books were damaged with either some color breaking spine creases or creases in the same spot. So whoever packed them bent them while all three were in the bag. I'll take pix and reach out to Conquest and see what they can do and update the thread. I was really looking forward to some nice copies.

I came here to post the same thing. I am disappointed that all three books were in the same bag and board. They cost enough, that I think having their own board and bag is not an unreasonable request. The middle book is color rubbed along the entire spine cover, and the book that was on top was bent as it shifted down in the bag while the other two did not creating a little ramp. Between this and my last order of ASM-4, I think this will be my last order from them :(

I came here to post the same thing. I am disappointed that all three books were in the same bag and board. They cost enough, that I think having their own board and bag is not an unreasonable request. The middle book is color rubbed along the entire spine cover, and the book that was on top was bent as it shifted down in the bag while the other two did not creating a little ramp. Between this and my last order of ASM-4, I think this will be my last order from them :(
It doesn't make you feel better to know they shipped them like that so they could get them out faster? :insane: