• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,835 posts in this topic

[quote=nikocb

I talked to my LCS owner earlier today, he told me that SDTU #12 had a print run of 7000.

I asked if he was sure of that and he said he was.

I stil think it's a BS book.

But If I was savvy enough to get a copy graded onsite at Baltimore at 9.8, I'd put it up on ebay for at 200-300% of the last sales on GPA, I think it'd sell quickly. (Only sales so far are $100,$87 and $80).

There's a Capt Marvel 17 2nd print...a CGC 9.6...the 1st K.K. app., based on the cover alone, which is at $250+ in auction now....while there are CGC 9.8's of the non variant (which she still appears in, if I'm not mistaken, sitting at $90 BIN.

People who buy super hot book moderns are suckers.

This of course is not good for the long term health of the hobby but what can you do?

I paid something like $30 for a Ghost Rider #1 (the 90's revamp run) , back in the early 90's right when I was getting back into comics andwas suckered in by hot books....by the time I started selling shows at cons 2 years later, I had the book in my $2 boxes.

Live and learn....or sometimes, you don't.

A) No way for your LCS to have that information yet. He is just echoing something he heard online or elsewhere.

B)Plenty of people make $$$ by buying super hot moderns. If you bought Saga, Walking Dead, or many other moderns during one of the many upswings you had, then you are sitting very well.

So, the 2nd print will be hyped as the First "2nd Print" for a Scooby Doo Title...

:facepalm:

And if the 2nd print has a lower print run, it will be "First 2nd Print Scooby. Rarest Harley"

lol

I can't wait for the numbers to see if this is all hype. I think anything over 10,000 is going to be a disappointment.

Batman '66 went from 13,653 copies sold to 17,001 copies sold earlier this year when the '66 version of Harley Quinn graced the cover (all sales numbers from comichron.com).

Scooby Doo Team-Up #11 had sales of 6,809 copies. SDTU #12 had more hype and cartoon Harley, so I would guess it outdid the 3348 copy bump that Batman '66 #25 had. At least two comic book stores in Ontario, Canada went 100 copies deep on SDTU #12. So I'm fully expecting a print run over 10,000 copies. I would estimate the print run was around 12,000 copies.

A 15,000+ print run would be a disappointment to me.

I talked to my LCS owner earlier today, he told me that SDTU #12 had a print run of 7000.

I asked if he was sure of that and he said he was.

I stil think it's a BS book.

But If I was savvy enough to get a copy graded onsite at Baltimore at 9.8, I'd put it up on ebay for at 200-300% of the last sales on GPA, I think it'd sell quickly. (Only sales so far are $100,$87 and $80).

There's a Capt Marvel 17 2nd print...a CGC 9.6...the 1st K.K. app., based on the cover alone, which is at $250+ in auction now....while there are CGC 9.8's of the non variant (which she still appears in, if I'm not mistaken, sitting at $90 BIN.

People who buy super hot book moderns are suckers.

This of course is not good for the long term health of the hobby but what can you do?

I paid something like $30 for a Ghost Rider #1 (the 90's revamp run) , back in the early 90's right when I was getting back into comics andwas suckered in by hot books....by the time I started selling shows at cons 2 years later, I had the book in my $2 boxes.

Live and learn....or sometimes, you don't.

what if someone with a genius IQ had worked hard, gone to a good school, gotten a good job, worked even harder, and become very very wealthy to the point where he doesn't sweat buying the occasional $5, $50, $200, $2000, $10,000 comic that he sees and he wants. Is he a sucker too? Wouldn't he be more of a sucker to sweat a $300 comic when he makes 20M per year?

What about all the people who speculated on Saga 1 and made hundreds if not thousands of dollars? are they all suckers? Isn't it possible that every situation is different and that blanket insulting statements about wide swaths of collectors probably hurts the hobby as much as anything else, and denigrates the quality of any of your other allegedly more salient points?

It seems with moderns there are always winners and losers. The guy who sells some ultra hot variant that he bought for $10 for $200, he wins. The guy who bought book at $200 when he could wait it out and get it for $40, he loses. People can spend their money however they want, but it doesn't make it a wise decision.

It seems with moderns there are always winners and losers. The guy who sells some ultra hot variant that he bought for $10 for $200, he wins. The guy who bought book at $200 when he could wait it out and get it for $40, he loses. People can spend their money however they want, but it doesn't make it a wise decision.

What if the $200 variant is now worth $400? Or $500? Or $1000? What if he bought TMNT 1 when it came out because everyone else wanted it?

What if the $200 variant is now worth $400? Or $500? Or $1000? What if he bought TMNT 1 when it came out because everyone else wanted it?

Don't know what TMNT #1 has to do with anything, but for every 1 variant that actually goes up in price after a year, I could point out 100 that go down. By in large it is not a smart game to play.

exactly, everyone is different with different financial situations and preferences, and there's research, luck, weird market stuff, intelligence that all factor into success or loss. And no one is always right. No one has a responsibility to anyone but ourselves and our families to buy comics in the 'smartest' way possible, and we don't owe anything to the hobby or the industry as a whole, other than acting in good faith when buying and selling.

They're comics, enjoy yours how you want until its not fun anymore, and maybe worry less about other people have fun with theirs. I'm not so sure why I'd care if the guy next to me is enjoying his comics appropriately relative to the price he paid. Who has that kind of time to sitting around judging people like that?

Don't know what TMNT #1 has to do with anything, but for every 1 variant that actually goes up in price after a year, I could point out 100 that go down. By in large it is not a smart game to play.

I don't know what to tell you. I just mean it seems that everyone here is acting like every book is a loser and buying anything when it is hot is a stupid idea. It also seems to paint a rather bleak picture and is portraying the end user as an insufficiently_thoughtful_person that is not capable of understanding what they are doing or buying. Are variants, in broad generalities, not good investments the week of release? Probably. Do books dry up and get hotter once they are all stashed away in personal collections? Sometimes.

[

what if someone with a genius IQ had worked hard, gone to a good school, gotten a good job, worked even harder, and become very very wealthy to the point where he doesn't sweat buying the occasional $5, $50, $200, $2000, $10,000 comic that he sees and he wants. Is he a sucker too? Wouldn't he be more of a sucker to sweat a $300 comic when he makes 20M per year?

What about all the people who speculated on Saga 1 and made hundreds if not thousands of dollars? are they all suckers? Isn't it possible that every situation is different and that blanket insulting statements about wide swaths of collectors probably hurts the hobby as much as anything else, and denigrates the quality of any of your other allegedly more salient points?

Not that I agree with CAK at all, but . . .

Yes X4

And, No. lol

This. :sumo:

(Us agreeing? A rarity, I know.) :grin:

I don't know what to tell you. I just mean it seems that everyone here is acting like every book is a loser and buying anything when it is hot is a stupid idea. It also seems to paint a rather bleak picture and is portraying the end user as an insufficiently_thoughtful_person that is not capable of understanding what they are doing or buying. Are variants, in broad generalities, not good investments the week of release? Probably. Do books dry up and get hotter once they are all stashed away in personal collections? Sometimes.

A much smarter play is to wait 5 years (or more) and buy these collections when they are a nickel apiece . . . :grin:

WTTB

lol

A much smarter play is to wait 5 years (or more) and buy these collections when they are a nickel apiece . . . :grin:

+1

Just wait it out. It may not be dirt cheap but at least you're not paying ebay-gouge price. If you really like the book, it should not matter if you own it a month or a year from now.

it always depends. i thought i was hitting a homerum when i unloaded 10 copies of Saga 1 here in a bulk deal for $300 that i had scored for cover price

turned out it was more like a pop up out when the guy who bought them was selling them for $80-$100+ here 2 or 3 weeks later.

Do you guys think batman 666 will start to heat up a bit?

is there something happening with it?

I wish something would happen with Batman '66.

Something did. It got cancelled.

Yea and it's unfortunate, decent series, great covers and Luchador Bane.

Do you guys think batman 666 will start to heat up a bit?

is there something happening with it?

I wish something would happen with Batman '66.

Something did. It got cancelled.

Yea and it's unfortunate, decent series, great covers and Luchador Bane.

not a bad series at all, but I don't think anyone thought it would go on forever.

Is this correct that Justice League 1 New 52 came out before Batman 1 New 52.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131612101535?rmvSB=true

In that case THIS is the 1st New 52 book.. ?

previews first 5 pages of JLA #1 dated 7/8/11

IMG_6938.jpg

IMG_6940.jpg

IMG_6942.jpg

I had been under the impression it was the FCBD book that year.

He would have had to have waited a longggg time to see that one pan out.

At the height of the B&W craze, TMNT #1 was a $150-$300 book.

That was 1986.

By 1999, the book was $50-$100...if you could find a buyer.

It's only been in the last 10 or so years that you would have seen much of a return on that "top price paid" in 1986.

And, something a lot of people don't count on is death. People die. People die waiting to buy that one item that they really wanted, and they never get a chance to. Life is short, and unpredictable. Not everyone has the luxury of sitting on something for 10, 15, 20, 30 years to see some sort of profit if they bought at the height of a particular market.

it always depends. i thought i was hitting a homerum when i unloaded 10 copies of Saga 1 here in a bulk deal for $300 that i had scored for cover price

turned out it was more like a pop up out when the guy who bought them was selling them for $80-$100+ here 2 or 3 weeks later.

I still think you can sip a little homerum for a good sale. You turned $30 into $300, a pretty nice profit for the money risked. The buyer had to risk more capital and turned a much lower profit on a percentage basis. I think you did just fine taking the profit you did, especially when you consider that for all anyone knew then Saga could have been a $5 book three weeks later. If you made 9x your money that's nothing to sneeze at.

Or unwise. If having it now -- and evading the anxiety of waiting it out (not knowing whether that'll lead to ownership or not) -- is worth the extra money to them, then it seems like a wise decision. Especially if the money differential is meaningless to them.