• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,780 posts in this topic

Wow Really.

Great Googly Moogly

Scooby Team up

Scooby Team up again

Yep. The end is close near. :preach:

fixed that for ya!

What’s the difference between "close" and "near"? I believed they had more or less the same meaning. hm

when talking about distance, they are the same thing. outside of that, they go all over the place.

someone just likes making post counts go up.

Actually no, with apologies to Valliant who is truly asking for clarity, as he's Italian and it's a good question regarding the use of one word over the other. It actually relates to cartoons of days past, where the typical portrayal of the doomsayer was the old guy with the long beard walking around with a sign on a post predicting the apocalypse, with the sign saying, "The End is Nigh! (or Near!)"

I'm really surprised that deathtohemingway couldn't grasp it. . . . :grin:

Thanks, but otherwise they would have the same meaning?

I ask because in italian they both translate as "vicino", but I realize that "close" might mean "closer" than "near"?

It’s interesting when I find more english words addressing similar meanings, as italian is a very precise language with words, while english is a lot elastic (for example, "glass" which means a lot of things, and in italian we have single words for each one of them).

In general, one uses "near" when referring to time, and "close" when referring to position. :)

I should have guessed that. Like "house" and "home", while we have the same word for both.

That is very interesting, as in these, meaning-wise italian is less precise than english.

Wow Really.

Great Googly Moogly

Scooby Team up

Scooby Team up again

fixed that for ya!

What’s the difference between "close" and "near"? I believed they had more or less the same meaning. hm

when talking about distance, they are the same thing. outside of that, they go all over the place.

Actually no, with apologies to Valliant who is truly asking for clarity, as he's Italian and it's a good question regarding the use of one word over the other. It actually relates to cartoons of days past, where the typical portrayal of the doomsayer was the old guy with the long beard walking around with a sign on a post predicting the apocalypse, with the sign saying, "The End is Nigh! (or Near!)"

I ask because in italian they both translate as "vicino", but I realize that "close" might mean "closer" than "near"?

It’s interesting when I find more english words addressing similar meanings, as italian is a very precise language with words, while english is a lot elastic (for example, "glass" which means a lot of things, and in italian we have single words for each one of them).

In general, one uses "near" when referring to time, and "close" when referring to position. :)

I should have guessed that. Like "house" and "home", while we have the same word for both.

That is very interesting, as in these, meaning-wise italian is less precise than english.

Wouldn't near also relate to spacial relationship? As in the house is near the lake. The restaurant is near the bay.

My LCS swears that something changed a wile back with Diamond, and the majority of his shipments now show up damaged.

He tells me this knowing that I work for UPS, and supervise his deliveries, so I think he might just be sneak dissin', lol.

A lot of retailers brought this up at the Diamond Summit at Baltimore Comic Con

Wow Really.

Great Googly Moogly

Scooby Team up

Scooby Team up again

fixed that for ya!

Wouldn't near also relate to spacial relationship? As in the house is near the lake. The restaurant is near the bay.

Yes, but as I said, in general, and when the usage is comparative between the two terms.

Wow Really.

Great Googly Moogly

Scooby Team up

Scooby Team up again

fixed that for ya!

One of the problems with words like "near" when you are attempting to learn a second language is that it can be used for many different types of speech.

"Near" can be a verb meaning "To advance" or "To get closer to" (I know, defining the word near, with the word close) which would be closest to "avvicinare" in Italian.

"Near" or "Nearby" can also be an adverb to emphasize where an item is situated. This would be closest to "accanto" or maybe "dappresso"

"Vicina" would be the closest to the English usage of "Near" as an adjective.

So yes, complicated. But basically, just remember that when you are dealing with distance, the difference between "Near (or Nearby)" and "Close" is negligible. If you use either, your meaning will be clear.

So, the 2nd print will be hyped as the First "2nd Print" for a Scooby Doo Title...

:facepalm:

And if the 2nd print has a lower print run, it will be "First 2nd Print Scooby. Rarest Harley"

lol

I can't wait for the numbers to see if this is all hype. I think anything over 10,000 is going to be a disappointment.

So, the 2nd print will be hyped as the First "2nd Print" for a Scooby Doo Title...

:facepalm:

And if the 2nd print has a lower print run, it will be "First 2nd Print Scooby. Rarest Harley"

lol

I can't wait for the numbers to see if this is all hype. I think anything over 10,000 is going to be a disappointment.

Batman '66 went from 13,653 copies sold to 17,001 copies sold earlier this year when the '66 version of Harley Quinn graced the cover (all sales numbers from comichron.com).

Scooby Doo Team-Up #11 had sales of 6,809 copies. SDTU #12 had more hype and cartoon Harley, so I would guess it outdid the 3348 copy bump that Batman '66 #25 had. At least two comic book stores in Ontario, Canada went 100 copies deep on SDTU #12. So I'm fully expecting a print run over 10,000 copies. I would estimate the print run was around 12,000 copies.

A 15,000+ print run would be a disappointment to me.