• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,833 posts in this topic

If it looks like a duck...

It would seem that Marvel is terrible at predicting demand or they actually are using the 2nd prints to boost sales. Capitalism rocks so no qualms here. It just doesn't make sense to change covers and pay for the additional art other than to sell to the same group of people who bought the 1st printing. Star Wars #1 is on a 7th printing with a butt ugly background relative to the 1st printings. They had as many printings for Ms. Marvel #1 and nearly as many for Edge of Spider-verse. Who miscalculated 6 times ( more than once ) and still has a job ? lol

Not picking a side just pointing out the obvious extra expense for each cover change versus just adding the 2nd print notation ? 2c

Marvel sells out at distribution on almost all of their books.

But the difference between Hulk #14 selling out at distribution and Star Wars #3 selling out at distribution is that demand is still there for Star Wars #3 due to under ordering by the RETAILERS combined with greater demand by the public.

If retailers order more - Marvel prints more.

It's really that simple. There's no nerfarious plan to make a 2nd print and manipulate the market into thinking something is hotter than it is. Star Wars #3 (as an example) DID sell out at RETAIL in many markets, and demand dictated that another print was needed.

If it had sold out at distribution, but a ton of it was still available on the retail level (i.e. no demand), they wouldn't have printed another run.

In other words: additional printings are primarily based upon demand after sell through at the retail level, which they would obviously have no idea of when actually printing the book.

Marvel would PREFER that retailers (somehow) know the amount of copies they need over a 12 month period for every book they publish - but most retailers order for what they need in a much, much smaller window than that.

In the Direct Market, set up to the benefit of the publishers, they publish close to the vest on most everything - based upon what retailers order.

And Marvel's additional art for the Star Wars books has been a change of background color or a color overlay. No big added expense there.

The one big publisher that over publishes - DC Comics - was down heavily this year.

Marvel chose a business model that is more cost efficient, not as a way to manipulate the market.

That occurs in advertising and promotion, not publishing.

It's not just one big publisher

Marvel choose to let Diamond clear out their overstock at heavily discounted prices (and they have lots of it),

DC don't, even DCs clearance stuff is not priced to shift

Even if that's what I was talking abut it's not true - DC has clearance sales through Diamond.

What I'm talking about is available reorders on current and somewhat current product.

I can still order Starfire #3 through Diamond (released 8/12)

Age of Apocalypse #5 which came out three weeks ago is sold out at Diamond.

I can still order Batman back through #41 (which came out in June), but nothing is available of the regular Amazing Spider-man and only Renew Your Vows #5 (on Low) is left.

This is common.

Yep, I mentioned DCs clearance stuff, maybe you get better offers in the US?

guess this is a US vs UK thing,

I've got these coming next week at 25p each

10 x 01909297 2 APR140682 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #1.2 FERRY VAR 0.25

10 x 01909297 2 JAN150779 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #16 0.25

10 x 01909297 2 MAR150700 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #18 0.25

10 x 01909297 2 APR150878 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #19.1 0.25

As for Age of Apocalypse #5, no I can't order those either but #1,2,3 & 4 are in stock.

Agree or disagree with this ?

Is a Flashback a first appearance ?

Alias 26

Rule of 1st appearances, keep it simple stupid. If you make this argument, I could claim the 1st appearance of just about any character is before their first appearance. What character does not have a flashback story at some point?

Agree or disagree with this ?

Is a Flashback a first appearance ?

Alias 26

Rule of 1st appearances, keep it simple stupid. If you make this argument, I could claim the 1st appearance of just about any character is before their first appearance. What character does not have a flashback story at some point?

In this case, none of the issues are first appearances . . . :grin:

So do we have counselors standing by for the almost inevitable crash of this particular book?

This book is going to hurt a lot of people.

Doubt it, fans, actual gwenpool fans are buying this book, that means the book is going to stay in PC's so the book won't be recycled and relisted from buyer to buyer. She's only just getting started, same was said for spider gwen and both EoS2 and the Land variant maintained their value, they drop a bit but they aren't dollar books like people thought they were going to be.

I bet she gets her solo series early next year, too much money for marvel to not take advantage of it.

Edited by Santos208

So do we have counselors standing by for the almost inevitable crash of this particular book?

Doubt it, fans, actual gwenpool fans are buying this book, that means the book is going to stay in PC's so the book won't be recycled and relisted from buyer to buyer. She's only just getting started, same was said for spider gwen and both EoS2 and the Land variant maintained their value, they drop a bit but they aren't dollar books like people thought they were going to be.

I bet she gets her solo series early next year, too much money for marvel to not take advantage of it.

Sure, Spider Gwen has real fans now. I met a ton of them at NYCC. I even asked one girl (she was doing a Spider Gwen cosplay, and a good one) was this a temporary thing. She just said I love the character and will stick with her no matter what. SG has now had two series and a large number of appearances in a short time in other books. Gwenpool has had one gimmick variant cover, how does that make a lasting fan base? Yes the character could last, but there is nothing to base that on yet.

Sure, Spider Gwen has real fans now. I met a ton of them at NYCC. I even asked one girl (she was doing a Spider Gwen cosplay, and a good one) was this a temporary thing. She just said I love the character and will stick with her no matter what. SG has now had two series and a large number of appearances in a short time in other books. Gwenpool has had one gimmick variant cover, how does that make a lasting fan base? Yes the character could last, but there is nothing to base that on yet.

They are both stupid bastardizations of a character.

The only difference is, one "came out of nowhere" and ended up being popular.

While the other is a parody of a parody of a parody that is being heavily speculated on since Day One.

However I would not bank heavily on the long term viability of either character much beyond the cosplay set.

-J.