• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,832 posts in this topic

Too early to speculate on Onslaught?

This guy didnt think so

I've grabbing copies whenever I can find them, but never ever paying that much. Maybe he or she knows something we don't know.

Really not even the right book to speculate on ? #53 would be the KEY.

Why not pick up both? I been plucking both of these books in bargain bins for years whenever I see them. I have a strong feeling this will end up the same as Man of Steel 17/18 where X-Man #15 may get a stronger price boost simply because the print run is far lower than X-Men #53.

Booth are good. but x-man #15 is just a shadow cameo.

It's the same with MOS#17 where you only see Doomsday's fists, yet it commands a much higher price than MOS#18.

Yes but Web 18 does not. hm

Can we all just agree that people want what they want?

Only if we can all agree that the market for comics isn't a reliable source for determining what is and is not a first appearance.

Michelinie and his editor(s)?

Venom may not have been fully designed then, but the important thing is that Venom is just the symbiote bonded to somebody else after being rejected by Spidey.

What next, are you going to say that Roger Stern didn't/doesn't know the true identity of the Hobgoblin?

My point is there needs to be a fine line drawn on what's considered as a cameo / first appearance. I know what you're saying but Web 18 is only a "placeholder" for a villain to be announced soon. I just can't consider that book as a first appearance when the character has not been designed or named yet. It's like somebody saying oh remember this issue ## that came out in 1964 on page so and so where you only see part of somebody's pinky toe.....oh that's Carol Danvers.....*rolls eyes*

It appears they had a clear idea of what the character was going to be capable of. Remember, web18 is not the only appearance of Venom prior to 298. The Web 18 issue is important because it is the first time Venom uses his power against his foe. That is pretty important and should make the book a significant spidey key.

This guy didnt think so

I've grabbing copies whenever I can find them, but never ever paying that much. Maybe he or she knows something we don't know.

Why not pick up both? I been plucking both of these books in bargain bins for years whenever I see them. I have a strong feeling this will end up the same as Man of Steel 17/18 where X-Man #15 may get a stronger price boost simply because the print run is far lower than X-Men #53.

Sure, but his name is right in the cover. So it's not an instance of shadow (unnamed) vs. named first appearance.

This guy didnt think so

It's the same with MOS#17 where you only see Doomsday's fists, yet it commands a much higher price than MOS#18.

Yes but Web 18 does not. hm

Can we all just agree that people want what they want?

Only if we can all agree that the market for comics isn't a reliable source for determining what is and is not a first appearance.

Of course it isn't. That's determined by the story a character first appears in.

A bunch of strong results for Valiant variants today:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harbinger-Wars-1-1-50-Patrick-Zircher-variant-NM-1st-Gen-Zero-CGC-9-8-/201496168070?hash=item2eea1b8686%3Ag%3ARHMAAOSwys5WUQjq&nma=true&si=7gv%252FELWX0qSJxn8rNsCFgrVIBwQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harbinger-Wars-2-1-50-Stephane-Perger-variant-NM-CGC-9-8-Valiant-Comics-/201496169294?hash=item2eea1b8b4e%3Ag%3AkfwAAOSwa-dWiZ-V&nma=true&si=7gv%252FELWX0qSJxn8rNsCFgrVIBwQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harbinger-Wars-3-1-50-Patrick-Zircher-variant-NM-1st-HARD-Corps-CGC-9-8-/201496171020?hash=item2eea1b920c%3Ag%3AM6IAAOSwGotWiaCV&nma=true&si=7gv%252FELWX0qSJxn8rNsCFgrVIBwQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harbinger-Wars-4-1-50-Stephane-Perger-variant-NM-CGC-9-8-Valiant-Comics-/201496171656?hash=item2eea1b9488%3Ag%3AAnEAAOSwZG9WiaEj&nma=true&si=7gv%252FELWX0qSJxn8rNsCFgrVIBwQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shadowman-2012-1-Secret-Gold-Variant-cover-NM-RARE-Valiant-CGC-9-8-/201496174779?hash=item2eea1ba0bb%3Ag%3ATu0AAOSwo0JWI~Jm&nma=true&si=7gv%252FELWX0qSJxn8rNsCFgrVIBwQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-O-Manowar-25-1-50-Terry-Dodson-variant-NM-CGC-9-8-Valiant-Comics-/201496178613?hash=item2eea1bafb5%3Ag%3AcJ0AAOSwYIhWiaQ3&nma=true&si=7gv%252FELWX0qSJxn8rNsCFgrVIBwQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harbinger-25-1-50-Barry-Kitson-variant-NM-CGC-9-8-Valiant-Comics-/201496179238?hash=item2eea1bb226%3Ag%3AReAAAOSwZG9WiaSj&nma=true&si=7gv%252FELWX0qSJxn8rNsCFgrVIBwQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bloodshot-25-1-50-Bryan-Hitch-variant-NM-CGC-9-8-Valiant-Comics-/201496179758?hash=item2eea1bb42e%3Ag%3AChwAAOSwa-dWiaUY&nma=true&si=7gv%252FELWX0qSJxn8rNsCFgrVIBwQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Archer-Armstrong-25-1-50-Michael-Walsh-variant-NM-CGC-9-8-Valiant-Comics-/201496180265?hash=item2eea1bb629%3Ag%3AiHoAAOSwYIhWiaV-&nma=true&si=7gv%252FELWX0qSJxn8rNsCFgrVIBwQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shadowman-2012-5-1-125-Rafael-Grampa-variant-NM-1st-Doctor-Mirage-CGC-9-8-/201496185829?hash=item2eea1bcbe5%3Ag%3AYsYAAOSwKtlWiakn&nma=true&si=7gv%252FELWX0qSJxn8rNsCFgrVIBwQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shadowman-2012-13-1-50-Shane-Davis-variant-NM-1st-Punk-Mambo-CGC-9-8-/201496187816?hash=item2eea1bd3a8%3Ag%3AbzsAAOSwa-dWiaoL&nma=true&si=7gv%252FELWX0qSJxn8rNsCFgrVIBwQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Divinity-1-1-40-Lewis-LaRosa-variant-NM-1st-Divinity-CGC-9-8-Valiant-Comics-/201496192554?hash=item2eea1be62a%3Ag%3A7Z0AAOSwoydWia3G&nma=true&si=7gv%252FELWX0qSJxn8rNsCFgrVIBwQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Divinity-3-1-20-Lewis-LaRosa-variant-NM-1st-female-Divinity-CGC-9-8-Valiant-/201496193258?hash=item2eea1be8ea%3Ag%3A69cAAOSwLN5Wia4M&nma=true&si=7gv%252FELWX0qSJxn8rNsCFgrVIBwQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-O-Manowar-2012-1-Secret-Gold-Variant-cover-NM-RARE-Valiant-CGC-9-8-/201496198712?hash=item2eea1bfe38%3Ag%3AImAAAOSwLN5WibFL&nma=true&si=7gv%252FELWX0qSJxn8rNsCFgrVIBwQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Web 18 is just one of those books I refuse to accept as a key issue. The book was released like a year and a half before Venom first appeared in the ASM title. That hand is just way too generic and who knows if Venom was actually even conceptualized at the time of Web 18's release.

It can get a little silly at times, with what is actually a first appearance, but I have to ask...

Who would you then say it was that pushed Peter Parker in front of the subway train, that wouldn't have set off his spider sense?

Web 18 is just one of those books I refuse to accept as a key issue. The book was released like a year and a half before Venom first appeared in the ASM title. That hand is just way too generic and who knows if Venom was actually even conceptualized at the time of Web 18's release.

It can get a little silly at times, with what is actually a first appearance, but I have to ask...

Who would you then say it was that pushed Peter Parker in front of the subway train, that wouldn't have set off his spider sense?

Aside from the Venom symbiote, aren't there some other things that do not trigger the spider sense?

Aside from the Venom symbiote, aren't there some other things that do not trigger the spider sense?

There's been a gas created, and they've written inconsistent ideas for certain villains that didn't set it off, but... what I'm asking is, WHO was it that did that and didn't set it off? Was it ever written, that it was someone else?

There's been a gas created, and they've written inconsistent ideas for certain villains that didn't set it off, but... what I'm asking is, WHO was it that did that and didn't set it off? Was it ever written, that it was someone else?

Spider-Man's foot is grabbed in issue 24 and no spider-sense is triggered. Who did that? I think it is safe to assume that the person responsible also knows Spider-Man identity ( which Venom does ) as there are two incidents within a 5 issue span.

Edited by MrWeen

Web 18 is just one of those books I refuse to accept as a key issue. The book was released like a year and a half before Venom first appeared in the ASM title. That hand is just way too generic and who knows if Venom was actually even conceptualized at the time of Web 18's release. This is one of those books where I'll actually roll my eyes if someone tells me it's Venom's first appearance or cameo. At least in MOS#17, you can actually tell those are Doomsday's fists.

100% Spot on.

Its just not that far of a stretch from MOS 17 to Web 18. Its just not for me. I can understand other taking the other side, but when you read Web 18 and then they introduce Venom(Later) how many of you didn't go back and look at Web 18.

Why? Everyone knows the answer even haters. I get the disagreement there just isn't enough evidence for me to come over to that side. I have enjoyed the back and forth.

Edited by Fastballspecial

Its just not that far of a stretch from MOS 17 to Web 18. Its just not for me. I can understand other taking the other side, but when you read Web 18 and then they introduce Venom(Later) how many of you didn't go back and look at Web 18.

Why? Everyone knows the answer even haters. I get the disagreement there just isn't enough evidence for me to come over to that side. I have enjoyed the back and forth.

Again the big difference is in MOS 17, there's really no arguing that those were not Doomsday fists. However, in Web 18, those hands are just too ordinary looking and there's no other supporting evidence that they belong to Eddie Brock / Venom. I know what you mean that it would make sense that they should belong to Venom, but what's stopping a writer from making a new villain tomorrow that knows Spider-Man's secret identity and can evade his spider sense? If that writer decides to reference back to Web 18 stating that this character has always been stalking or trying to kill him, that will throw a wrench to all the folks that bought the book thinking it was Venom. I'm not saying its not Eddie's Brocks hands nor can anyone officially say it belongs to him. It's just too vague to be considered a key.

Again the big difference is in MOS 17, there's really no arguing that those were not Doomsday fists. However, in Web 18, those hands are just too ordinary looking and there's no other supporting evidence that they belong to Eddie Brock / Venom. I know what you mean that it would make sense that they should belong to Venom, but what's stopping a writer from making a new villain tomorrow that knows Spider-Man's secret identity and can evade his spider sense? If that writer decides to reference back to Web 18 stating that this character has always been stalking or trying to kill him, that will throw a wrench to all the folks that bought the book thinking it was Venom. I'm not saying its not Eddie's Brocks hands nor can anyone officially say it belongs to him. It's just too vague to be considered a key.

Not even Marvel?

VenomProof.jpg

Not even Marvel?

VenomProof.jpg

That's fine, but show me some evidence that Marvel had Venom designed and named like character sketches dated in 1986. Otherwise, as I originally said, this book is nothing else but a placeholder for a future villain. They can create any villain and tie that issue to it.

Not even Marvel?

VenomProof.jpg

WOW. That's some direct evidence if I have ever seen it. The only reason the market won't relfect this is because the knowledge isn't well known. Here is some more:

In this image Peter's leg is grabbed by what appears to be venom.

page_9_zps1tlxme5j.jpg

and then Pete connects the events from issue 18 to 24.

page_10_zpsykcxvcgd.jpg

So if the argument for MOS 17 over Web 18 is simply that the hand isn't Venom then issue 24 appears to take care of that.