• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,835 posts in this topic

New X-Men #31. first appearance of Kimura, was a $10 book, now cooking.

Credit to CBSI on that one (shrug)

Why is anyone deserving of credit other than the creators? (shrug)

Sorry I'll fix it...

Credit to CBSI for recognizing that this book might see increased interest on the back issue market based on the contents. This is a forum about comics that get hot and sell at auction no? (shrug)

I'm sure the creators got plenty of Kudos from fans and coworkers when the book came out.

I personally didn't feel your post needed to be fixed. It just strikes me as odd to see speculators take or give credit in regards to a certain book or character. To me any work deserving of credit was done by the creators, not some speculator who stated some early or first appearance may heat up soon. That's like shooting fish in a barrel nowadays.

I don't visit any spec sites so I can't comment on who said what and have zero favoritisms in regards to any spec sites or groups. As Awe has pointed out the said credit may be fitting for a thread such as this though. Just seams weird to me is all.

Hey man can't a kid be a speculator and a collector? I just don't like seeing someone post something here as if they were the first to mention it. Don't deny that many, many people who frequent these types of communities love to be the first to mention a book. There's nothing wrong with it and I don't think we need to give specific credit to a person or page just don't act like you discovered something when the info was clearly gleaned from another source.

New X-Men #31. first appearance of Kimura, was a $10 book, now cooking.

Credit to CBSI on that one (shrug)

Why is anyone deserving of credit other than the creators? (shrug)

Sorry I'll fix it...

Credit to CBSI for recognizing that this book might see increased interest on the back issue market based on the contents. This is a forum about comics that get hot and sell at auction no? (shrug)

I'm sure the creators got plenty of Kudos from fans and coworkers when the book came out.

I personally didn't feel your post needed to be fixed. It just strikes me as odd to see speculators take or give credit in regards to a certain book or character. To me any work deserving of credit was done by the creators, not some speculator who stated some early or first appearance may heat up soon. That's like shooting fish in a barrel nowadays.

I don't visit any spec sites so I can't comment on who said what and have zero favoritisms in regards to any spec sites or groups. As Awe has pointed out the said credit may be fitting for a thread such as this though. Just seams weird to me is all.

Hey man can't a kid be a speculator and a collector? I just don't like seeing someone post something here as if they were the first to mention it. Don't deny that many, many people who frequent these types of communities love to be the first to mention a book. There's nothing wrong with it and I don't think we need to give specific credit to a person or page just don't act like you discovered something when the info was clearly gleaned from another source.

(thumbs u

You know what really makes this thread suck :preach: It's when people have butthurt and feuds from other websites and use this as the forum to air their grievances. The petty bickering over who should be credited with (re)discovering a book, who is a pumper and dumper, who used to be a baseball card dealer, and who gave whose mom crabs is ridiculous. This thread was fun when everyone identified as CGC board members not members from other sites that come over here just to in someone's Cheerios. This place has become a hotbed of insecurity and fragile egos.

No, what really makes this thread suck is when people post information and then they get upset when someone A) disagrees with what they have written or B) challenges the validity of the information provided. It also sucks when this is viewed as petty bickering and butthurt instead of a simple interest in getting it right. Perhaps when you get a bad tip and take it in the shorts you'll feel differently.

I think we are talking about two different things.

So let me ask a general question while we are on this topic, how would one go about telling others that there may be a book that you should consider buying now because there is relevance to a future story or character? It seems if you do that and then it actually goes up in value you are consider on this board a "pumper and dumper"?

How about an honest assessment more then a few sentences with some thought out logic?

Yes, this board has been infested by speculators just like every other part of the hobby, but that doesn't mean this place runs on speculation. Some posters sure do and it's pretty easy to tell who they are, even without looking at the date they joined (which is almost certainly within the past few years).

--------

Most of us are just reacting to what the market is saying. But yes, it's nice to make a profit. More money for comics, our kids, paying the water bill, being able to afford lunch, whatever.

Boy you are on fire today

+1

You know what really makes this thread suck :preach: It's when people have butthurt and feuds from other websites and use this as the forum to air their grievances. The petty bickering over who should be credited with (re)discovering a book, who is a pumper and dumper, who used to be a baseball card dealer, and who gave whose mom crabs is ridiculous. This thread was fun when everyone identified as CGC board members not members from other sites that come over here just to in someone's Cheerios. This place has become a hotbed of insecurity and fragile egos.

^^

as long as I am not one lolmeh

Edited by Fastballspecial

Darkstar, please use multi-quote and pm me if you want to discuss the conversation further. Stop spamming the thread, unless you want to dispute validity with everone who notices a book selling well in eBay that posts here.

I'm not spamming the thread. We are discussing moderns that are heating up on eBay. You chose to post that info here in this thread and as a result it will be discussed publicly. If you didn't get that info from somewhere else and volunteer to repost it here, then we wouldn't be discussing it here. Do not introduce information into this thread where money is involved and then get upset when someone asks you to defend your position.

Nods

:popcorn:

So let me ask a general question while we are on this topic, how would one go about telling others that there may be a book that you should consider buying now because there is relevance to a future story or character? It seems if you do that and then it actually goes up in value you are consider on this board a "pumper and dumper"?

How about an honest assessment more then a few sentences with some thought out logic?

Sure, how about even a few paragraphs? Nope, that's considered "pump/dump".

I'm sure this is only a vocal minority who think this though.

Not at all, and I know a shill when I see one. Lots of people here do it.

You know one of your favorite sources of information is a card collector who got into comics because of DC's 3D cover marketing gimmick, right?

There is a difference between noticing an existing market trend and creating a market trend by selling the internet on a book through blog posts that may or may not use accurate information as a reason to "invest" in a book.

Got any examples of this from CBSI?

Monstress. That book was out a month and found for cover price on eBay before a posting on CBSI got people interested.

Edited by rjrjr

You know one of your favorite sources of information is a card collector who got into comics because of DC's 3D cover marketing gimmick, right?

There is a difference between noticing an existing market trend and creating a market trend by selling the internet on a book through blog posts that may or may not use accurate information as a reason to "invest" in a book.

Monstress. That book was out a month and found for cover price on eBay before a posting on CBSI got people interested.

So are you saying that CBSI inflated Monstress or was it good writing, art and a modest print run? Did CBSI use inaccurate info to trick a lot of people into buying into Monstress?

There's a big difference between identifying a winner and hyping Black Acre.

I told your mom I was sorry.

I'm not familiar with what specifically (if anything) lead to Monstress heating up. Yet it did pick up rather suddenly weeks after release which is not typical of a book that slowly heats up due to a growing fan base.

I will admit I am not very familiar with CBSI but I have heard stories about CBSI members, as well as other speculation sites manipulating the market. One story stands out to me that may be very easy to verify or dismiss by someone who knows who's who or possesses search capabilities greater than my own.

An individual told me that the We Can Never Go Home SDCC variant that had a limited print run of 50 copies (if I'm not mistaken) was mostly purchased by a few CBSI members. It was said that they quickly placed a few copies in auction and bid them up by one another with no real purchaser of the early copies placed in auction in order to create a market price they wanted.

To be very clear, I do not know if this story is true. I wanted to share it as examples were asked for. Yet again, I am sure with the limited print run of the WCNGH SDCC variant it very well may be easy to either verify or dismiss.

You would have to have access to all the bidders names, which you don't. Possibly need their real life names. Sounds easy, right? Then cross reference them with their real or fake name in the said group.

Why would you even repeat this as there's obviously no way you could verify such a story. Real or not.

We started talking about Monstress here in December just a few weeks after it came out. We talked about the great art and story, I personally am not surprised it has done well. Its not TWD or Saga but this is a definitely a great book.

besides it has a really really really low print run......

You would have to have access to all the bidders names, which you don't. Possibly need their real life names. Sounds easy, right? Then cross reference them with their real or fake name in the said group.

Why would you even repeat this as there's obviously no way you could verify such a story. Real or not.

Why not. Everyone says whatever they want around here. Doesn't matter if it's true or not anymore.

I am well aware you are a Trey/CBSI groupie. This isn't about playing favorites or picking sides, it's about helping protect the hobby. I have zero reason to communicate with you as you will defend that site no matter what is staring you in the face.

Why not. Everyone says whatever they want around here. Doesn't matter if it's true or not anymore.

There's a difference between a know-it-all constantly barking at everybody about how they shouldn't ever attempt to estimate a book's print run, and someone repeating unfounded rumours that are potentially libelous.

-J.