• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,836 posts in this topic

I think a majority of collectors who never see or don't ever know about store exclusives since they are mainly sold directly from a store website or eBay.

Does overstreet list con variants? I assume they dont do store variants.

What does that matter? That's like saying a book isn't a first appearance because it's not on a CGC label.

I collect some Dynamite and IDW series from the past which have a ton of alternate covers. There are also Dynamic Forces variants, which I struggle to decide if I need to have them or not. They are the lowest print runs, but essentially just chromium versions of the regular covers.

+1

There are a few DF ASM variants that I kinda like but still haven't gotten around to buying because I don't view them the same as I do other ASM variants (ie the "real ones" from Marvel). They just feel less "must have" and more discretionary to me.

There are also a few big money con variants that I am okay with not owning for the same reason.

I think the reason the 1 per store Venom 1 variant unexpectedly took off (or "heated up", if you will, to get the thread back on point) is because it's from Marvel and not one of the plethora of store variants, even though some of those are rarer and have much, much better art.

-J.

I think the reason the 1 per store Venom 1 variant unexpectedly took off (or "heated up", if you will, to get the thread back on point) is because it's from Marvel and not one of the plethora of store variants, even though some of those are rarer and have much, much better art.

-J.

Though I obviously object to the height of the rise on some of those (as significantly affected by speculation), I agree 100% with this assessment.

I like this discussion and where it's headed......

But why not create a new thread for it....?

What thread? You really want a thread where a couple of blowhards tell you, based on their opinions & collecting interests, what variants are real and which ones aren't???

What thread? You really want a thread where a couple of blowhards tell you, based on their opinions & collecting interests, what variants are real and which ones aren't???

You really want a thread where a bunch of people just post shilled up ebay auctions and scream at anyone who disputes anything other than "every book in the universe is on its way to passing Action Comics #1."

Agree with -J on a lot of these points.

Waited a while to get some opinions on this before opening my noob mouth.

I've been collecting since 85. I love modern variants collectability but fear we are falling into a 90's trend.

I consider as a collector, reader, and general comic lover: STORE VARIANTS ARE NOT AN OFFICIAL PART OF A PRINT.

People are buying up these (money grabs) in hopes of making a quick flip and there's nothing wrong with that. I believe in separation of business and hobby.

I also believe these overpriced manufactured collectibles will be worthless in the long run.

A Mega con variant holds more weight because it's a big venue and a "momento" to collect as a "con" is a big moment for a fan.

These are my opinions only as a collector and not investor. And that makes it a very important opinion seeing as how at the end of the day...it's the collector that keeps this whole thing going.

Edited by Juice Head

+1

I think this whole discussion of what is and what isn't a 'legitimate' variant is amusing.

All I know is years from now, it is the books that were shunned that will be the ones with value. Subsequent printings anyone?

I think this whole discussion of what is and what isn't a 'legitimate' variant is amusing.

All I know is years from now, it is the books that were shunned that will be the ones with value. Subsequent printings anyone?

It will be interesting to see, I really want to find Chuck Rozanski's article on variants he wrote like almost 10 years ago. It's a good discussion on relative rarity, and how print runs have changed over time.

People making their own comic variants though, is akin to fan fiction, even if they can work it out so the artist, the publisher and the stores make lots of money, its tough to see demand ever existing for such creations long term with collectors

Edited by CBT

+1

:whee:

http://comicbookinvest.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=546&start=70

:roflmao:

You really want a thread where a bunch of people just post shilled up ebay auctions and scream at anyone who disputes anything other than "every book in the universe is on its way to passing Action Comics #1."

There are plenty of words to describe so-called real variants, use incentive, ratio etc..etc...people with knowledge use those, people who want to tell people what they should like use words like "real".

The problem isn't stores/cons creating variants. maybe the problem is the variant collectors who deify the word "variant" to the point that they can't stand anyone misusing the word for anything other than what they feel is a "real" variant.

There are plenty of words to describe so-called real variants, use incentive, ratio etc..etc...people with knowledge use those, people who want to tell people what they should like use words like "real".

The problem isn't stores/cons creating variants. maybe the problem is the variant collectors who deify the word "variant" to the point that they can't stand anyone misusing the word for anything other than what they feel is a "real" variant.

when discussing everything as a whole, its not a lack of knowledge, but expediency, to categorize things together in a group. "Real" is a bit rhetorical for sure, to emphasize a point, but completely valid to use.

Real = from the publisher

Not Real = from "some guy"

Edited by CBT

:acclaim:

Super rare fireball eating variant post above.

Super rare fireball eating variant post above.

It's ok to just say you like and collect store variants. All opinions are allowed. Just recognize that the people who dont see them as legit variants are entitled to their opinions too.

BTW,

They are pimping Kate Bishop now, annoying cause again the spec train is looking at things I have collected for years. Expect to see some serious shilling on these books starting the day they published the article.

It will be interesting to see, I really want to find Chuck Rozanski's article on variants he wrote like almost 10 years ago. It's a good discussion on relative rarity, and how print runs have changed over time.

People making their own comic variants though, is akin to fan fiction, even if they can work it out so the artist, the publisher and the stores make lots of money, its tough to see demand ever existing for such creations long term with collectors

If there's a demand for what you label "fan fiction" and the book is rare what does it matter? Someone mentioned Dead-Pooh,

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_Auction=1&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_nkw=dead+pooh&_sop=14

These books seem to do pretty well so why are they illegitimate books?

I don't think most people care that these are sold and made by the creator. The only people who might care are the store owners who can't easily get their hands on more manufactured collectibles . I just don't see any book produced in this way as illegitimate.

BTW,

They are pimping Kate Bishop now, annoying cause again the spec train is looking at things I have collected for years. Expect to see some serious shilling on these books starting the day they published the article.

So should they credit you in the article? :baiting:

+1

:whee:

http://comicbookinvest.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=546&start=70

:roflmao:

Hey, a link to actual comics heating up. What a novel idea! Opinion and collecting interests have nothing to do with sold listings.

These books seem to do pretty well so why are they illegitimate books?

I don't think most people care that these are sold and made by the creator. The only people who might care are the store owners who can't easily get their hands on more manufactured collectibles . I just don't see any book produced in this way as illegitimate.

They arent illegitimate "books", and all variants, store or other wise "exist" clearly. But people pushing them on here need to be upfront when they are store variants or not.

Ultimately the market decides, as with any collectible, but store variants have a long track record of not being accepted in the market as equivalent to publisher produced variants.

Hence, transparency, people need to say when something is a store variant. If they can market their store variants successfully that they retain value, great.

But that's not what is happening with the ones being debated. They are being pushed on the merits of their "low print run", while the store variant nature of them is being ignored, suppressed, or out right hidden. Unacceptable.

Edited by CBT