• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

If Ben Afleck can be batman, anyone can be captain america.

Still not sure what the whole issue is with this? Why is he a bad pick? He's a good actor who's been in multiple oscar calibre movies. Only thing I can think of is his gigantic head and face.

There's a back issue Pokemon card market?!?

Not here buddy,

I was simply taunting.( I do that sometimes )

On a recent Marvel conference call it was cited that a tight synergy between the comics & movie universe was in the works.

Falcon is Cap in the comics.

I'm speculating he'll be Cap in the movies too...

Or something...

And I would counter-speculate that for better or worse, it would not make financial sense for Marvel to make Captain America black in a movie, unless its Denzel or Will Smith.

Carl Weathers.

(thumbs u :headbang::golfclap:

the shops in my local area didn't get but 1 copy each and they were gone pretty fast... They had a poop ton of the Halloween cover though...

So I did a few BIN on ebay for $15 shipped.

Anyone else notice the Marvel 75th Anniversary Deadpool covers this week being pretty hard to grab? The 3 shops I hit at 11:30am were all sold out...

The Human Torch cover is the money one (in terms of art and homage factor)!

Grabbed that for $20 today, and the Connors Harley variant for $20 as well at a shop.

DCBS and other pre-order sellers cannot guarantee they will fill variant pre-orders. I've had a handful of pre-order variants canceled over the years because of this.

Doesn't it seem odd, maybe even dishonest to sell something you can't deliver on?

(thumbs u

Not here buddy,

On a recent Marvel conference call it was cited that a tight synergy between the comics & movie universe was in the works.

Or something...

And I would counter-speculate that for better or worse, it would not make financial sense for Marvel to make Captain America black in a movie, unless its Denzel or Will Smith.

Yeah...Marvel would NEVER do that!

Does Samuel L Jackson count...?!?

If you think that changing the race of Nick Fury or even Human Torch is even remotely the same as changing race of Captain America from a movie marketing persepective...well you're wrong. Too iconic, too many people would be against it (although not me!), too many people value 'whiteness' as integral to the representation of 'America' (and that character), both domestically and internationally. I just don't have as much faith in America, or the world market at large. There would be a large financial dip, to the point where it just wouldn't be worth it to risk it, UNLESS the star power of the actor were great enough to overcome those perceptions.

Very different from Fantastic Four, which is far less well known INTERNATIONALLY to begin with, and the core of the book is about science and family, not "America", and the Human Torch spends most of his time ON FIRE.

1 - I don't think it would affect movie goers. They're going to see the movies no matter what. ( I mean, they've made bigger, more pointless, bafling changes to characters, and people still see them, and really don't care).

2-What's the point of changeing a character's skin colour in the movies??? If you want diversity, then use characters with the desired skin colour. Simple as that.

well, there is a paucity of recognizable characters.

plus we're not talking about many characters here.

sometimes the actor makes it happen. sam jackson is a much more fun nick fury than david hasselhoff who certainly looked the part.

michael clark duncan made a great kingpin in an otherwise terrible movie.

DCBS and other pre-order sellers cannot guarantee they will fill variant pre-orders. I've had a handful of pre-order variants canceled over the years because of this.

Doesn't it seem odd, maybe even dishonest to sell something you can't deliver on?

DCBS and other online retailers are in a difficult position however. If they get enough orders for the regular issue to cover the variants (not store exclusive variants which are different, but the variants that are tied to percentages of regular issue orders), they are good. But if enough people order just variants, but don't order the regular covers, they are going to have a problem filling those variant orders. I know in the past year, they have raised the price of the variant covers (by a lot) probably to help cover the cost and get more variants into hands, but just doing the math, you can see it is a difficult proposition to fill every variant order month in and month out.

I'm okay with this personally. Even when I use to visit a LCS, they could not guarantee every variant I wanted I would get. At least DCBS is attempting to fulfill the orders and I get a chance at and get most variants I order. It's just a handful I haven't received over the years.

The big problem here is the way the variants are allocated in the first place. I know people on here are sick of me saying this, but if the publishers would print the variants in equal allocations, or not limit these variants and print what is ordered, then I feel the publisher would make more money. Which makes more money for the publisher, print two covers for title X and one copy is only 10% of the other copy or printing two covers for title X and both copies are allocated at 50%? I would think having two covers that are equally allocated will get more dollars because collectors will be able to pick up both covers. The problem here is the publishers are not printing these variants for the collectors, they are printing them for the sellers. They are completely an incentive for the seller to bump their orders. Hence the reason the regular issues are common as dirt and don't have any collector value and the variants get all the glory. I believe this is bad for the hobby, but I know many don't. (shrug)

Edited by rjrjr

the shops in my local area didn't get but 1 copy each and they were gone pretty fast... They had a poop ton of the Halloween cover though...

So I did a few BIN on ebay for $15 shipped.

Anyone else notice the Marvel 75th Anniversary Deadpool covers this week being pretty hard to grab? The 3 shops I hit at 11:30am were all sold out...

The Human Torch cover is the money one (in terms of art and homage factor)!

Grabbed that for $20 today, and the Connors Harley variant for $20 as well at a shop.

Totally agree, I got both today too. $15 each though, I got an extra HQ if anyone needs one.

Not here buddy,

Or something...

Yeah...Marvel would NEVER do that!

Does Samuel L Jackson count...?!?

If you think that changing the race of Nick Fury or even Human Torch is even remotely the same as changing race of Captain America from a movie marketing persepective...well you're wrong. Too iconic, too many people would be against it (although not me!), too many people value 'whiteness' as integral to the representation of 'America' (and that character), both domestically and internationally. I just don't have as much faith in America, or the world market at large. There would be a large financial dip, to the point where it just wouldn't be worth it to risk it, UNLESS the star power of the actor were great enough to overcome those perceptions.

Very different from Fantastic Four, which is far less well known INTERNATIONALLY to begin with, and the core of the book is about science and family, not "America", and the Human Torch spends most of his time ON FIRE.

1 - I don't think it would affect movie goers. They're going to see the movies no matter what. ( I mean, they've made bigger, more pointless, bafling changes to characters, and people still see them, and really don't care).

2-What's the point of changeing a character's skin colour in the movies??? If you want diversity, then use characters with the desired skin colour. Simple as that.

well, there is a paucity of recognizable characters.

plus we're not talking about many characters here.

sometimes the actor makes it happen. sam jackson is a much more fun nick fury than david hasselhoff who certainly looked the part.

michael clark duncan made a great kingpin in an otherwise terrible movie.

I'm with the crowd that says create a character instead of changing an old one. I don't want George Takei as Captain Kirk and wisely, Star Trek made him Captain Sulu, Admiral Sulu, etc. I don't want a blonde haired Barbie playing Gamora. I don't want an American Wolverine or Colossus. Canadian and Russian work just fine for me. I don't wan't an Asian Preacher or a real tanned and buffed up Sandman. I don't want a male Black Widow or a skinny white guy named Luke Cage. I didn't care for either the Red or Blue Superman or the long haired guy either. I like my Nightcrawler being blue without 4 fingers and a thumb. Give me big, bad Sentinels, not nanites. Did anybody like gaseous Galactus ?

Try what Stan Lee tried, try being creative.... rantrant

I agree with every part of that Authority. If they want to improve characters by adding (here's a new twist) a good STORY then do so. These established characters have a back story and history - its not broke so don't fix it.

So, is everyone going to rail on Avengers 2? The backstory for Ultron is going to be changed since Pym is not the creator. Nebula and Yondu in GOTG look nothing like their comic book counterparts. Groot's speech pattern was nothing like the comic counterpart. Heimdall looks nothing like his comic counterpart. Bucky and Steve Rogers were not roughly the same age as shown in the movie. Modok appearance is much, much different in the comic. Sam Wilson in the 616 universe is pretty far removed from a military man in the comic. Jarvis is a butler, not a computer. I could go on and on here. Even how the Avengers came together in the comics has nothing to do with how they were assembled by SHIELD on the big screen.

The number of liberties the movies and TV are taking with these comic characters is quite huge. Having a decent actor play the part seems to be the least offensive change IMHO.

Edited by rjrjr

I agree with every part of that Authority. If they want to improve characters by adding (here's a new twist) a good STORY then do so. These established characters have a back story and history - its not broke so don't fix it.

So, is everyone going to rail on Avengers 2? The backstory for Ultron is going to be changed since Pym is not the creator. Nebula and Yondu in GOTG look nothing like their comic book counterparts. Groot's speech pattern was nothing like the comic counterpart. Heimdall looks nothing like his comic counterpart. Bucky and Steve Rogers were not roughly the same age as shown in the movie. Modok appearance is much, much different in the comic. Sam Wilson in the 616 universe is pretty far removed from a military man in the comic. Jarvis is a butler, not a computer. I could go on and on here. Even how the Avengers came together in the comics has nothing to do with how they were assembled by SHIELD on the big screen.

The number of liberties the movies and TV are taking with these comic characters is quite huge. Having a decent actor play the part seems to be the least offensive change IMHO.

I forgot Mandarin. That one was just a :facepalm: