• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

DCBS and other pre-order sellers cannot guarantee they will fill variant pre-orders. I've had a handful of pre-order variants canceled over the years because of this.

Doesn't it seem odd, maybe even dishonest to sell something you can't deliver on?

DCBS and other online retailers are in a difficult position however. If they get enough orders for the regular issue to cover the variants (not store exclusive variants which are different, but the variants that are tied to percentages of regular issue orders), they are good. But if enough people order just variants, but don't order the regular covers, they are going to have a problem filling those variant orders. I know in the past year, they have raised the price of the variant covers (by a lot) probably to help cover the cost and get more variants into hands, but just doing the math, you can see it is a difficult proposition to fill every variant order month in and month out.

I'm okay with this personally. Even when I use to visit a LCS, they could not guarantee every variant I wanted I would get. At least DCBS is attempting to fulfill the orders and I get a chance at and get most variants I order. It's just a handful I haven't received over the years.

The big problem here is the way the variants are allocated in the first place. I know people on here are sick of me saying this, but if the publishers would print the variants in equal allocations, or not limit these variants and print what is ordered, then I feel the publisher would make more money. Which makes more money for the publisher, print two covers for title X and one copy is only 10% of the other copy or printing two covers for title X and both copies are allocated at 50%? I would think having two covers that are equally allocated will get more dollars because collectors will be able to pick up both covers. The problem here is the publishers are not printing these variants for the collectors, they are printing them for the sellers. They are completely an incentive for the seller to bump their orders. Hence the reason the regular issues are common as dirt and don't have any collector value and the variants get all the glory. I believe this is bad for the hobby, but I know many don't. (shrug)

My local shops never guarantee a variant for that very reason.

And no, I don't think publishers would sell more variants if they were all 1:1. Not when shops have to order 3k for one of their own variants. How many places do you think order 3k of one comic? That's why there are groups like Phantom now.

I agree with every part of that Authority. If they want to improve characters by adding (here's a new twist) a good STORY then do so. These established characters have a back story and history - its not broke so don't fix it.

So, is everyone going to rail on Avengers 2? The backstory for Ultron is going to be changed since Pym is not the creator. Nebula and Yondu in GOTG look nothing like their comic book counterparts. Groot's speech pattern was nothing like the comic counterpart. Heimdall looks nothing like his comic counterpart. Bucky and Steve Rogers were not roughly the same age as shown in the movie. Modok appearance is much, much different in the comic. Sam Wilson in the 616 universe is pretty far removed from a military man in the comic. Jarvis is a butler, not a computer. I could go on and on here. Even how the Avengers came together in the comics has nothing to do with how they were assembled by SHIELD on the big screen.

The number of liberties the movies and TV are taking with these comic characters is quite huge. Having a decent actor play the part seems to be the least offensive change IMHO.

Yea, it's like they are more worried about making money than following old comic story lines.

Anyone here speculating on any of the other Manara Variants, now that there was the huge (and ridiculous) controversy on his Spider-Woman cover???

Old ones? no

New ones? they were all cancelled

The only work of his I own is X-Women because it is hard to find.

Edited by ygogolak

So, is everyone going to rail on Avengers 2? The backstory for Ultron is going to be changed since Pym is not the creator. Nebula and Yondu in GOTG look nothing like their comic book counterparts. Groot's speech pattern was nothing like the comic counterpart. Heimdall looks nothing like his comic counterpart. Bucky and Steve Rogers were not roughly the same age as shown in the movie. Modok appearance is much, much different in the comic. Sam Wilson in the 616 universe is pretty far removed from a military man in the comic. Jarvis is a butler, not a computer. I could go on and on here. Even how the Avengers came together in the comics has nothing to do with how they were assembled by SHIELD on the big screen.

The number of liberties the movies and TV are taking with these comic characters is quite huge. Having a decent actor play the part seems to be the least offensive change IMHO.

So what was different about Groot's speech patterns?

And as for Nebula, I thought she looked close enough to her comic counterpart (shrug)

guardians-of-the-galaxy-140721-nebula.jpg

I agree with every part of that Authority. If they want to improve characters by adding (here's a new twist) a good STORY then do so. These established characters have a back story and history - its not broke so don't fix it.

All things you listed where reasons why Marvel movies are very so-so for me.

Speaking of black characters, Bishop could have been awesome in X-Men. Get your A or B list actor for him. He's an interesting character, both visually and story-wise. Don't have to try and change characters, and maybe we wouldn't be stuck with Teen Wolf Beast and the same old characters yet again. .....but, they decided not to use him. Great move, Marvel.

DCBS and other pre-order sellers cannot guarantee they will fill variant pre-orders. I've had a handful of pre-order variants canceled over the years because of this.

Doesn't it seem odd, maybe even dishonest to sell something you can't deliver on?

DCBS and other online retailers are in a difficult position however. If they get enough orders for the regular issue to cover the variants (not store exclusive variants which are different, but the variants that are tied to percentages of regular issue orders), they are good. But if enough people order just variants, but don't order the regular covers, they are going to have a problem filling those variant orders. I know in the past year, they have raised the price of the variant covers (by a lot) probably to help cover the cost and get more variants into hands, but just doing the math, you can see it is a difficult proposition to fill every variant order month in and month out.

I'm okay with this personally. Even when I use to visit a LCS, they could not guarantee every variant I wanted I would get. At least DCBS is attempting to fulfill the orders and I get a chance at and get most variants I order. It's just a handful I haven't received over the years.

The big problem here is the way the variants are allocated in the first place. I know people on here are sick of me saying this, but if the publishers would print the variants in equal allocations, or not limit these variants and print what is ordered, then I feel the publisher would make more money. Which makes more money for the publisher, print two covers for title X and one copy is only 10% of the other copy or printing two covers for title X and both copies are allocated at 50%? I would think having two covers that are equally allocated will get more dollars because collectors will be able to pick up both covers. The problem here is the publishers are not printing these variants for the collectors, they are printing them for the sellers. They are completely an incentive for the seller to bump their orders. Hence the reason the regular issues are common as dirt and don't have any collector value and the variants get all the glory. I believe this is bad for the hobby, but I know many don't. (shrug)

My local shops never guarantee a variant for that very reason.

And no, I don't think publishers would sell more variants if they were all 1:1. Not when shops have to order 3k for one of their own variants. How many places do you think order 3k of one comic? That's why there are groups like Phantom now.

Yea, it's like they are more worried about making money than following old comic story lines.

So you think the movies are better than the comics ? Captain America has been in roughly 7500-8000 comics and they couldn't find enough material for 3 movies ? You think Samuel Jackson is causing people to show up in droves to the Marvel movies ? He was probably why Star Wars did so well. ;)

To each their own. I think writers like Stan Lee just had a lot more vision than the current group of movie people making these shows. There are almost none that I would pay to see twice. (shrug)

Speaking of black characters, Bishop could have been awesome in X-Men. Get your A or B list actor for him. He's an interesting character, both visually and story-wise. Don't have to try and change characters, and maybe we wouldn't be stuck with Teen Wolf Beast and the same old characters yet again. .....but, they decided not to use him. Great move, Marvel.

I agree. Hillbilly Yondu ? What, Jar Jar Binks wasn't available ? :facepalm:

So you think the movies are better than the comics ? Captain America has been in roughly 7500-8000 comics and they couldn't find enough material for 3 movies ? You think Samuel Jackson is causing people to show up in droves to the Marvel movies ? He was probably why Star Wars did so well. ;)

To each their own. I think writers like Stan Lee just had a lot more vision than the current group of movie people making these shows. There are almost none that I would pay to see twice. (shrug)

They also had 70 years of Cap material and they chose a storyline from 2005.

I think you can't get too caught up in a movie being like a comic or book. There are tons of movies based off books that are inconsistent. There is a difference translating from reading to viewing.

Edited by ygogolak

Yes.

Midtown still has this book ( $21.25 ) so I don't understand why DCBS wouldn't. They're both pretty big internet sellers. (shrug)

Midtown doesn't sell on an ebay account. :)

(thumbs u

(thumbs u

oh no wait I meant... :facepalm:

http://www.ebay.com/usr/midtowncomics

Yes.

Midtown still has this book ( $21.25 ) so I don't understand why DCBS wouldn't. They're both pretty big internet sellers. (shrug)

Midtown doesn't sell on an ebay account. :)

(thumbs u

(thumbs u

oh no wait I meant... :facepalm:

http://www.ebay.com/usr/midtowncomics

:roflmao:

They also had 70 years of Cap material and they chose a storyline from 2005.

I think you can't get too caught up in a movie being like a comic or book. There are tons of movies based off books that are inconsistent. There is a difference translating from reading to viewing.

I get your point and I don't lose sleep over the movies one way or another. In fact, I'm sure Marvel could care less what I think because I'm not a big subscriber anymore. It wasn't very long ago that i bought over 40 of their titles per month. I might buy 1 or 2 now if there is a writer or artist I really like but short of that, I'm buying over 80% Image books. It seemed to me that they let the movies dictate the overall direction of the comics and they may prove to be a smart move but I was more of a comic fan.

I get your point and I don't lose sleep over the movies one way or another. In fact, I'm sure Marvel could care less what I think because I'm not a big subscriber anymore. It wasn't very long ago that i bought over 40 of their titles per month. I might buy 1 or 2 now if there is a writer or artist I really like but short of that, I'm buying over 80% Image books. It seemed to me that they let the movies dictate the overall direction of the comics and they may prove to be a smart move but I was more of a comic fan.

New_X-Men_Vol_1_114_Textless.jpg

-slym

It was Fox, but regardless, Bishop had no business being in DoFP. Ditto for Blink and Quicksilver, but he was a highlight. I hear you though. Sometimes it's a step from page to screen. Other times it's a leap.