• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,839 posts in this topic

Why are people buying older Valiant comics all of a sudden? Why are people spending money on books that were stone cold for YEARS? It's not because the storytelling got better. It's because of the movie deal announcement. Speculation.

I always thought the storytelling in the older valiant stuff was awesome. Maybe I'm in the minority. I'm not a huge fan of comics into movies but I will throw some money at those movies because I enjoyed the stories. I mean, how could you not like immortal bada$$es??!

Why are people buying older Valiant comics all of a sudden? Why are people spending money on books that were stone cold for YEARS? It's not because the storytelling got better. It's because of the movie deal announcement. Speculation.

I always thought the storytelling in the older valiant stuff was awesome. Maybe I'm in the minority. I'm not a huge fan of comics into movies but I will throw some money at those movies because I enjoyed the stories. I mean, how could you not like immortal bada$$es??!

Missed the point? He didn't comment on whether the stories were good or bad, just that the stories did not suddenly get better in the past 4 months.

Missed the point? He didn't comment on whether the stories were good or bad, just that the stories did not suddenly get better in the past 4 months.

For sure. I read Valiant books as a teenager and enjoyed the stories. Not enough for me to keep or buy extra copies of, but the stories were different and told well. I'll see the Valiant movies also but (probably) not in the movie theaters.

If Batman and Joker keep being brought back from the dead, shouldn't they be considered immortal bada$$es as well?

^this post is worthless without a link.

Almost every seller says it's a low print run. I suspect one guy started it and everyone else thought it sounded good.

I just checked and the print run is 26,890. That doesn't seem that low. Is it low for Hulk or Deadpool?

26k is low for a Marvel book. 26k for a main character in a summer blockbuster is really low.

Simple, Introduce something popular and financially out of reach at the time. Take yourself out of the hobby for 20 years, then drop something in your hands that makes them think about the things that you had not had an opportunity to read/collect when they were younger, you will search for the nostalgia.

I am a Transformers collector. This is all too true for me because I stopped reading comics for almost 20 years and was introduced to Modern Transformers Comics by IDW. This caused me to break out my collection, and started hitting eBay and realizing the stuff that was "rare" as a kid was only that way because I had no internet. I sold a majority of my Keys....NM 98, ASM 298 361-363 Key X-books...ect ect....because I had that 90's collection, the rest of it was Dollar Fodder.

I am guilty with Valiant too, I had a lot of Valiant books I dumped when I opened up my longboxes after years, and sold them on eBay. (I got $20.00 for a Turok Lot because it had a VVSS #1!!!! lol) Harbinger was the one book I was never able to get my hands on (especially with coupons and #4 was $100 at my LCS in 92), and I managed to score #1 for $5.00 with coupon at my LCS now. The only key valiant books not in my collection are a X-O 1 and 4.

You never can tell when demand will arise on a book that was once hot/ or maybe even not at all. Collect what you like and the rest should work itself out.

Can't collect em all.

I agree! New 52 Batman pulled me back in Aug 2013 after 20 years out. Had to buy back issues, additional printings and variants. I'm about 5 variants from being caught up for a full run (except for sketch variants).

I wish nothing but prosperity for every collector and speculator. Unfortunately, that won't be the case a majority of the time. I'll continue to buy what I want to buy.

Edited by 21Pittsburgh58

I agree! New 52 Batman pulled me back in Aug 2013 after 20 years out. Had to buy back issues, additional printings and variants. I'm about 5 variants from being caught up for a full run (except for sketch variants).

I wish nothing but prosperity for every collector and speculator. Unfortunately, that won't be the case a majority of the time.

Diversify I think is the key here. Don't put all your eggs (comic books) in one basket (long box)

I got dinged on an extra $20 US for shipping a couple days ago. Does that count as "movement"? :P

So much for "$8.50 flat shipping." What makes that more of a slap in the face is that everyone got charged $8.50 for shipping, I expected Priority Mail, but the email I got saying he's shipped mine out say they are arriving via Media Mail. So, not only is he profiting off of shipping, but he isn't turning any of that profit over to help out people who bought a lot of copies and applying that towards their shipping.

:doh:

-slym

Simple, Introduce something popular and financially out of reach at the time. Take yourself out of the hobby for 20 years, then drop something in your hands that makes them think about the things that you had not had an opportunity to read/collect when they were younger, you will search for the nostalgia.

I am a Transformers collector. This is all too true for me because I stopped reading comics for almost 20 years and was introduced to Modern Transformers Comics by IDW. This caused me to break out my collection, and started hitting eBay and realizing the stuff that was "rare" as a kid was only that way because I had no internet. I sold a majority of my Keys....NM 98, ASM 298 361-363 Key X-books...ect ect....because I had that 90's collection, the rest of it was Dollar Fodder.

I am guilty with Valiant too, I had a lot of Valiant books I dumped when I opened up my longboxes after years, and sold them on eBay. (I got $20.00 for a Turok Lot because it had a VVSS #1!!!! lol) Harbinger was the one book I was never able to get my hands on (especially with coupons and #4 was $100 at my LCS in 92), and I managed to score #1 for $5.00 with coupon at my LCS now. The only key valiant books not in my collection are a X-O 1 and 4.

You never can tell when demand will arise on a book that was once hot/ or maybe even not at all. Collect what you like and the rest should work itself out.

Can't collect em all.

Funny, Harbinger #4 was the one book that I missed when it was released as well, and at the time it was believed to have the lowest print run, so was going for over $100 in my area. I managed to trade one other "hot" books at the time to my LCS for one. (Those other books were probably early Image books that Wizard was saying were all the rage, but I guess people were looking for them.

A few years ago I picked up a lot of 5 copies of Harby #4 for probably about $20.

(also the bags and boards he used are too big and will only help damage the book in transit)

Not if they are packed correctly. Which I am going to assume they aren't.

A tight cardboard "sandwich" will restrict lateral movement in the bag. That's how I do it (& I use SA-sized bags & boards) and I think that's how everyone should pack their comics. Of course, to prove me wrong, I just got an eBay win in today, comic was in a B&B, and then slid into a photo/document mailer. That's it. Somehow, it arrived damage-free, but I consider such things to be the exception, not the rule.

-slym

(also the bags and boards he used are too big and will only help damage the book in transit)

A tight cardboard "sandwich" will restrict lateral movement in the bag. That's how I do it (& I use SA-sized bags & boards) and I think that's how everyone should pack their comics. Of course, to prove me wrong, I just got an eBay win in today, comic was in a B&B, and then slid into a photo/document mailer. That's it. Somehow, it arrived damage-free, but I consider such things to be the exception, not the rule.

-slym

Photo Mailer. lol Don't people know that Priority boxes and envelopes make the greatest comic reinforcements and they are free?

Photo Mailer. lol Don't people know that Priority boxes and envelopes make the greatest comic reinforcements and they are free?

Well, the auction had 1st Class shipping as the only option for postage. But I can get two comics (maybe three) in between two pieces of corrugated cardboard or plastic & wrapped with bubble-wrap into a manila envelope and still keep it at or under 13 ounces. Hell, I'd have liked to see at least the cardboard "sandwich" for a $40 book. Nope, no protection other than the mailer, and it wasn't even insured.

Anyone that wants this seller's name, feel free to PM me. I am certainly not buying anything from him again.

-slym

Unless you are shipping Priority, it's illegal to use their material.

which is why all the stuff I get has chopped up Priority boxes used as cardboard support.

Probably the same seller I got my Shadowman #1 and 2 from, 2 books at least bagged/boarded, in a priority envelope. And they made it! I take pictures of things that I open, and I take video of things that I box up should I ever need to make buyer/seller protection.

I advise you all to do the same because had the Shadowmans arrived damaged, they would have been free.

Unless you are shipping Priority, it's illegal to use their material.

With the amount I've misused and repurposed over the last 20 years, I should probably be on death row.