• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,757 posts in this topic

Should I be going through every issue of What If from 1977 on up since imaginary stories now count as 1st appearances?

Yes, please. And post the results of your research.

I prefer powerpoint reports with sound

Should I be going through every issue of What If from 1977 on up since imaginary stories now count as 1st appearances?

I agree, however we already received visions of future characters from what if books.

Spider-girl

Skaar

Lady thor * Foster*

What if? issues are many times basically try-out stories. If something sticks or resonates with fans it can be moved into continuity (like the other examples above ).

"Venompool" being the latest example (first appearance in the What if? story, the most sought out book from that arc being the compilation issue with the wicked Skottie Young cover ).

-J.

I agree, however we already received visions of future characters from what if books.

Spider-girl

Skaar

Lady thor * Foster*

What if? issues are many times basically try-out stories. If something sticks or resonates with fans it can be moved into continuity (like the other examples above ).

"Venompool" being the latest example (first appearance in the What if? story, the most sought out book from that arc being the compilation issue with the wicked Skottie Young cover ).

-J.

What others have moved to continuity? And don't say Jane Foster. That books was 35+ years old when Thor "changed".

https://comicsheatingup.net/2016/09/28/debate-debunk-cable-and-deadpool-50-first-venompool/

1. The symbiote is never called Venom. Pretty simple to do.

2. There are several symbiote covered dinosaurs in the issue. The symbiotes are of different colors at that.

3. The one that actually possesses Deadpool in this issue is grey/tan which the Venom symbiote is always portrayed as black.

4. When the symbiote possesses Deadpool, he does not refer to himself as Venom, nor speak in the third person, nor refer to himself in the plural “we”. These are all characteristics of Venom’s speech pattern for the time period. He does say “I want to eat your brain”, which was par for the coarse for that time, but not in the “We”

So there you have it. While Cable and Deadpool #50 is a desirable book for fans of Venom and Deadpool, fans of last issues in a series, or just for rare comics, it does not appear to be the first Venompool. Is it the first time Deadpool was possessed by a symbiote, sure, but not by Venom (people can argue the semantics of that however I would argue that Cletus Kasady is not possessed by Venom even though his symbiote is the “child” of Venom.) The honor of the first Venompool goes to What If Iron Man Demon in an Armor.

Spider-girl

Skaar

Lady thor * Foster*

-J.

What others have moved to continuity? And don't say Jane Foster. That books was 35+ years old when Thor "changed".

There are a ton of What If stories that eventually made it it into the finely woven tapestry of continuity that is the Marvel 616 universe :insane: you can look them up yourself here.

You may not find another one that is a "first appearance/mash-up" of two Marvel characters at least one of which must have "pool" "gwen" or "venom" in their name with a secondary speculative angle relating mainly to the fine art of ultra rare variant cover collecting.

This conversation has been mindnumbingly stupid....kudos to all participants :applause:

You may not find another one that is a "first appearance/mash-up" of two Marvel characters at least one of which must have "pool" "gwen" or "venom" in their name with a secondary speculative angle relating mainly to the fine art of ultra rare variant cover collecting.

This conversation has been mindnumbingly stupid....kudos to all participants :applause:

bad_boys_20.gif

Wow your being a jerk. Dude is not an insult

This made me laugh hysterically

I've always preferred 'bro'

Both appearances matter, but people are trying to downplay the C&D #50 likely because people were trying to say the What if would break $1k in 9.8 Blue Label. It looks like it won't because it isn't the right book, and investing into the What If book at high prices may be why those speculators would be a little upset they cannot flip it for profit.

C&D is In continuity, and the reasoning behind Deadpool's ability to control the Symbiote in that issue is now going to be explained via his new Back In Black series, and the Deadpool Secret Secret Wars #3. Venom Space Knight #12 also just supports that with Venom flat out saying it's 1st host before Spider-Man ruined his mind!

I've debated a few people on this one, but as a reader, the C&D #50 feels more natural of a 1st appearance and happened way before the what if.

#allappearancesmatter

Wow your being a jerk. Dude is not an insult

This made me laugh hysterically

I've always preferred 'bro'

I preferred manzier

well played, maestro

Spider-girl

Skaar

Lady thor * Foster*

-J.

I did this at bar with a few friends once, all of us in our late 40's and lifetime Marvel readers and we agreed that a large chunk of the What If series ended up happening; Spidey joining the FF, Hulk with the brain of Bruce Banner, Jane Foster Thor, General Ross becoming a Hulk, Bucky living, Phoenix living, Elektra living (ok everyone but Uncle Ben, Gwen and Mar-Vell living though "Gwen" still lives on kinda).

Our other favorite bar game is how many players taken in the 1st round of the 1990 NHL draft played for The Flyers (10 out of 21)