• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,756 posts in this topic

Should I be going through every issue of What If from 1977 on up since imaginary stories now count as 1st appearances?

I agree, however we already received visions of future characters from what if books.

Spider-girl

Skaar

Lady thor * Foster*

What if? issues are many times basically try-out stories. If something sticks or resonates with fans it can be moved into continuity (like the other examples above ).

"Venompool" being the latest example (first appearance in the What if? story, the most sought out book from that arc being the compilation issue with the wicked Skottie Young cover ).

-J.

What others have moved to continuity? And don't say Jane Foster. That books was 35+ years old when Thor "changed".

What If the Hulk had the brain of Bruce Banner?

What If Spider-man's clone lived?

What If Elektra had lived?

What If the Thing and Beast continued to mutate?

What If Spider-man had not married Mary Jane?

What If Phoenix rose again?

Those stories weren't "moved to continuity." In most cases, those are completely different stories, with completely different outcomes, than what happened "in-continuity." They aren't scripts or outlines for what happened later, nor were they intended to be.

If all they share is a title, that's not really "moving to continuity."

The same or similar concepts/ideas/characters appeared in What if? stories first.

Just as the concept/idea/character of "Venompool" first appeared in a What if? story.

No one said they were adapted verbatim into continuity as they originally appeared in What if?, but the concepts /ideas/characters are certainly recognizable.

You are splitting hairs.

-J.

No. The ones saying that they are "tryouts" are the hair-splitters, here. It's absurd to call a story from 1981 a "tryout" for a story that eventually happened in 1994.

And you are incorrect to say "the same or similar stories appeared in What If...? first. No, the same or similar stories happened in continuity first, which LED TO the What If...? stories. Without the original clone saga from ASM #143-ish to 151 (1975), there is NO 90's clone saga, irrespective of What If...? #30.

I'm not going to get bogged down in a debate over semantics with you , but sufficeth to say, this is your opinion and you are entitled to it.

-J.

Of course. Anybody and everybody who disagrees with you is only "stating an opinion", which is just as "valid" (or not) to you as any other opinion, no matter how far-fetched. But I'm glad you won't get bogged down by such silly things as having to make a case to defend your position. ;)

As stated, What If...? stories aren't "tryouts" that were later "moved to continuity"...they have, almost universally, been springsboards off of already established in-continuity stories. If later writers mined them for ideas, that's one thing, but to suggest they were "tryouts" to "see what would work" is not at all what those series were meant to be, or in fact were, ever.

I think what really matters is when the character is complete in a lasting role....such that it can be named....

Alex summers 1st appeared in x-men 54, but became Havok in 57.... Which is worth more? 57....

It's the first full appearance of Havok....

#58...but yes, #58 is certainly the "most key" of those issues, because it's when a supporting character became a recognizable, distinct "super-hero" character in their own right.

Speaking of Venom and "moderns heating up", the Granov variant of ASM 569 has been selling well raw and hitting GPA highs in slabs for the last week+. Apart from having a sick cover it's also the first Anti-Venom.

Don't know if something is forthcoming with Anti-Venom, or if "all things Venom" are just heating up in general.

-J.

I recently got permission from the writer to post about this:

First reported on comicsheatingup was a successfull Kickstarter named

Solar flare:

http://www.solarflarecomic.com/store/

In the blog they hint at being picked up by an major indie publisher....

When I contacted him, he filled me in some more:

"Its between Creature Entertainment, Darby Pop and Red 5. I'm also

about to make a production deal with Ironklad."

It's increasingly looking like it's red 5....

I like the art, but haven't read the story yet... Seems like a no brainer to

me....

agree / disagree whatever... just letting you know... I'd rather not get some negative

rants about posting this

Speaking of Venom and "moderns heating up", the Granov variant of ASM 569 has been selling well raw and hitting GPA highs in slabs for the last week+. Apart from having a sick cover it's also the first Anti-Venom.

Don't know if something is forthcoming with Anti-Venom, or if "all things Venom" are just heating up in general.

-J.

The book has a GPA high of $200 in 9.8, it first "hit" that point in 2015.

Last sale of a 9.8 was $200.There have been 0 previous sales of a 9.8 in 2016 at $200.

"Meeting GPA highs" is more accurate.

The 9.6 sales data doesn't look all that impressive i.e. last sale of a 9.6 was $55.

-J.

The book has a GPA high of $200 in 9.8, it first "hit" that point in 2015.

Last sale of a 9.8 was $200.There have been 0 previous sales of a 9.8 in 2016 at $200.

"Meeting GPA highs" is more accurate.

The 9.6 sales data doesn't look all that impressive i.e. last sale of a 9.6 was $55.

Yes that 9.6 sale does look like a good deal now with that 9.0 selling for $50 yesterday. (thumbs u

-J

Just a month or so ago, I paid $35 for a set of ASM 568-573 variants just to get the Venom variant, and I was worried I maybe paid a little too much. I still may have, but that cover is just awesome so I had to have it. The rest of the covers are cool, too, but pale in comparison to the Venom one.

Edited by BishopT

Just a month or so ago, I paid $35 for a set of ASM 568-573 variants just to get the Venom variant, and I was worried I maybe paid a little too much. I still may have, but that cover is just awesome so I had to have it. The rest of the covers are cool, too, but pale in comparison to the Venom one.

Hogwash

This Alex Ross Goblin is the bomb

2n7l541.jpg

That's probably the second coolest, to me. Followed by the Anti Venom varaint. The 568 Green Goblin variant in that set I bought was signed by Dan Slott, btw, however no COA. Still, though... the Venom cover rules, IMO of course. But yeah, that Goblin is a beaut', though.

Edited by BishopT

Does not seem to be a way of posting something like this without feeding the trolls... I shouldn't really care.... Trolls are gonna troll.... I just wince at the banality of it.

Last time I posted something like this, some made a mess load of money, and some laughed at it....

( Tephlon Funk )

I know that some of you appreciate my calling this to your attention, and some of you think I'm just selling something I invested in (never asking why I though it was a worthy investment). To me this one's a no brainer....

Does not seem to be a way of posting something like this without feeding the trolls... I shouldn't really care.... Trolls are gonna troll.... I just wince at the banality of it.

Last time I posted something like this, some made a mess load of money, and some laughed at it....

( Tephlon Funk )

I know that some of you appreciate my calling this to your attention, and some of you think I'm just selling something I invested in (never asking why I though it was a worthy investment). To me this one's a no brainer....

If you're going to post on the internet, you're going to have to develop a thicker skin, and stop blaming things on "trolls." If you don't see the oddness of saying you got somebody's permission to post information that's already public on their website, and freely available to anyone with an internet connection, then you need to consider it some more.

Does not seem a way of posting without "feeding the trolls"? Sure there is: don't say things that are weird and "troll-worthy."

The whole concept of "speculating" on brand new comic books is a serious threat to the entire industry, and that threat was realized in the 90's. Buying new comics is supposed to be about enjoying the artform, supporting creators we like...not treating new comics as if they're IPOs.

Do you not understand the incredible damage that does, not just to the entire industry, but individual creators and small publishers...? These creators may think "hey, look! We sold more books!" And that's fine, IF they're leaving the printing presses open, and printing to order...which defeats the point of speculation, which is great...but if they're not, and everything they have gets sold to SPECULATORS, rather than READERS, they may have great sales...until the speculation train leaves the station, and they're left with no one interested in their work.

It's shortsighted and destructive, and no one seems to have learned anything from the 90's.

"Shut up, RMA. Quit trying to mess with people making $$$. Who cares about comics, and creators, and art? It's all about the dolla bills, yo!!"

:(

I went to a shop on lunch that I thought I might find some goodies in. 15 copies of DSSW #1 and DSSW #4 but no 2s or 3s. There are different sections of back issues and they get less organized the deeper in you go, but I don't think issues 2 and 3 are in there. This is the store I got 7 or so Invincible Iron Mans at when RiRi was hot a few months ago.

But I did see 5-10 Convergence Superman #2s in there, both covers so I can keep that in the back of my mind should that book warm up when Super Sons comes out.

Edited by Bird

okay solar flare is a good opportunity.... but I shouldn't post about it h

( Tephlon Funk )

If you're going to post on the internet, you're going to have to develop a thicker skin, and stop blaming things on "trolls." If you don't see the oddness of saying you got somebody's permission to post information that's already public on their website, and freely available to anyone with an internet connection, then you need to consider it some more.

Does not seem a way of posting without "feeding the trolls"? Sure there is: don't say things that are weird and "troll-worthy."

The whole concept of "speculating" on brand new comic books is a serious threat to the entire industry, and that threat was realized in the 90's. Buying new comics is supposed to be about enjoying the artform, supporting creators we like...not treating new comics as if they're IPOs.

Do you not understand the incredible damage that does, not just to the entire industry, but individual creators and small publishers...? These creators may think "hey, look! We sold more books!" And that's fine, IF they're leaving the printing presses open, and printing to order...which defeats the point of speculation, which is great...but if they're not, and everything they have gets sold to SPECULATORS, rather than READERS, they may have great sales...until the speculation train leaves the station, and they're left with no one interested in their work.

It's shortsighted and destructive, and no one seems to have learned anything from the 90's.

"Shut up, RMA. Quit trying to mess with people making $$$. Who cares about comics, and creators, and art? It's all about the dolla bills, yo!!"

Uhm so you're saying speculating on comics is evil, in this thread... this is a self published book, not a new book... I'm not trying to sell my back issues that I bought in a dollar bin, trying to convince people that they are really really valuable...

The 90s bubble burst wasn't cause of individual speculators, the whole industry was complicit from the million plus print runs, the 'collector's item' printed on man of steel #1...

I AM giving you new info... the website hinted at a publisher, I gave you details, AND that it is probably going to be animated as well... At first I was to keep this under my hat, but then the writer though it could help him....i.e. 'permission'.

I have never lost money on these kickstarters picked up by publishers; I even made good money on 'the humans'. Cause the print runs are tiny compared... I get thanked for my tips, but this thread I always need to brace for some off comment... It's like you don't want anyone contributing but you, Probably cause you got back issues to pump and dump

Uhm so you're saying speculating on comics is evil, in this thread... this is a self published book, not a new book... I'm not trying to sell my back issues that I bought in a dollar bin, trying to convince people that they are really really valuable...

The 90s bubble burst wasn't cause of individual speculators, the whole industry was complicit from the million plus print runs, the 'collector's item' printed on man of steel #1...

I AM giving you new info... the website hinted at a publisher, I gave you details, AND that it is probably going to be animated as well... At first I was to keep this under my hat, but then the writer though it could help him....i.e. 'permission'.

I have never lost money on these kickstarters picked up by publishers; I even made good money on 'the humans'. Cause the print runs are tiny compared... I get thanked for my tips, but this thread I always need to brace for some off comment... It's like you don't want anyone contributing but you, Probably cause you got back issues to pump and dump

The existing eye-rolling emoticon does not roll its eyes enough to accurately portray my feelings regarding this post.

The existing eye-rolling emoticon does not roll its eyes enough to accurately portray my feelings regarding this post.

I am sure there is something in some online Troll reference website....

okay solar flare is a good opportunity.... but I shouldn't post about it h

( Tephlon Funk )

Uhm so you're saying speculating on comics is evil, in this thread...

Evil...? Maybe, maybe not. Shortsighted? Yes. Destructive? Oh yes.

this is a self published book, not a new book...

Not sure what one has to do with the other, BUT...if they're not new books, and everyone's had a shot at them who wants one, great. Speculation on back issues, or "back issues", is fantastic.

I'm not trying to sell my back issues that I bought in a dollar bin, trying to convince people that they are really really valuable...

Who do you think made up the "whole industry"...? Right, those individual speculators, buying cases and cases of books, convincing the idjit publishers to print more and more until it all collapsed.

I wish I had someone to tell me that buying 20 copies of Silver Sable #1 was a bad idea. I probably wouldn't have listened, but it would sure have been nice to have had the opportunity.

...which is still silly, and reeks of hucksterism, even if it's completely legitimate. You can't go around saying things like "I've got permission to post this here", as if you're giving everyone "inside information", whether it's true or not, without getting some kind of backlash. Just say what you need to say, and be done with it. Complaining about "trolls" is being a victim, and the more you do that, the more you're going to get it.

Again...it's childish, inaccurate comments like that that get you the reaction you complain about. What was the "off comment"? Someone posting a " zzz " emoticon...? That's what set you off...?

Be a big boy, put on your big boy pants, post what you want to post, and don't worry about what others think or say. Simple.