• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,756 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

First of all R&M #1 has been selling for 20-30 for a long while. Which suggests that there are collectible attributes to the book based on comic book readers (whether they are fans of the show, spec'rs, or just comic book men pun intended is remained to be seen). Usually when that happens (usually!) there would be a larger than average discussion on the boards pertaining to the book. It STILL hasnt happened.

And youre absolutely correct, as soon as a book explodes, in come the speculators and tell you "oh, I KNEW this would happen because this that and the other".

No one knew this time (and many many other times)

I had no idea the book was going to turn into a $100+ book. I didn't even consider it to be a reality to be honest, but nevertheless that drek of a show spoiled my fun picking up copies.  

The way the book took off after that episode aired was rediculous in my opinion. Like you said, to go from $20-$30 to launch over $200 for raw copies truly is baffling. I'm not sure I can even think of another example of a book skyrocketing like that so much later than it's initial release of both the cartoon and comic book series.

The Simpsons was a pretty damned hot book off-and-on.  Probably will be again, someday.  Futurama started off slower but is showing signs of heating up.  I'd wager the same will be true with Bob's Burgers... These comics are a fun way to display some element of art/fandom without having some trashy DVD case on your shelf, so if you've got a popular series, it'll probably translate to a well-selling collectible comic book.  

The more interesting pivot here might be to find examples of comic book adaptations of popular series that aren't collectible and then try to determine why.

Capture.PNG

11 minutes ago, Hickok8AA8 said:

I wouldn't have guessed it would spike so high so fast, OR have a TV spot, BUT I can straight faced tell you that I knew it was overlooked and I have put my money on it for the past 7 months. Not a ton on census either, 38 9.8s and it's 2 years old. 

I think what you're failing to grasp is it's not that CBM raised the value, it just drew AWARENESS. None of my friends in real life that watch Rick and Morty knew there was a comic, let alone a good comic, based on the show. This is not the freak of nature you're making it out to be, are you upset you didn't stock up or what? haha

You are actually a good example of what a speculator should truly concentrate on - buying what you love. 

Thats what Ive been trying to say all along

9 minutes ago, IntoAnother said:

I had no idea the book was going to turn into a $100+ book. I didn't even consider it to be a reality to be honest, but nevertheless that drek of a show spoiled my fun picking up copies.  

The way the book took off after that episode aired was rediculous in my opinion. Like you said, to go from $20-$30 to launch over $200 for raw copies truly is baffling. I'm not sure I can even think of another example of a book skyrocketing like that so much later than it's initial release of both the cartoon and comic book series.

Exactly my point.

I cant recall a raw book selling for 150-200 consistently for over a month based on those parameters. A true Modern heating up

11 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Exactly my point.

I cant recall a raw book selling for 150-200 consistently for over a month based on those parameters. A true Modern heating up

Yup, It may have gotten to that status in a funky way but here we are. 

So, just my paltry 2 cents here;  I recently got back into collecting....and when I saw a Rick and Morty Comic, I wanted one as I love the show.  Sadly this was the time that it was on its 4th print...so I picked up a couple of those.  From talking with others, a lot of people didn't buy the book as it apparently wasn't done by the show's creators, so they thought it might or must be a dud....so clearly there is now a lot of latent demand on the comic book.  What complicates things is that the show has continued and increased its popularity and the comic book has increased theirs....it seems like a little bit of a price bump was warranted, but this much?  I'm thinking it has entered the "Conspicuous Consumption" arena.....

Great pick-up for those that bought it at cover or a touch more.....but I thought $20-30 was a bit high for what the book actually was/is;  guess I was pretty wrong on this one!

1 hour ago, the authority said:

I want to know why Bongo's The Simpsons doesn't bring more. Someone please explain the difference to me :roflmao:

Unlike R&M, the Simpsons are still not dropping F-bombs after 20 years.  (shrug)

I think the title will stay hot about as long as the series is hot. The show has a ton of room to grow though. There are still a lot of people who don't know about the show (much less the comic). Will that hurt it and its current audience (becoming mainstream)? I don't know. Similar to how Family Guy had a smaller niche audience at first before it took off (before it got cancelled then came back and exploded).

R&M fans are as passionate if not more than Simpson or Family Guy fans. I did not predict it at all, but Im not surprised at the books selling for what they are going for. Looks like the blank sketch cover is going for a lot too. I wonder if the variants will start spiking as well. I see that a retailer variant sold for a lot and I don't see any others out there. Might be an extremely limited book that would hold its value.

1 hour ago, kevhtx said:

I think the title will stay hot about as long as the series is hot. The show has a ton of room to grow though. There are still a lot of people who don't know about the show (much less the comic). Will that hurt it and its current audience (becoming mainstream)? I don't know. Similar to how Family Guy had a smaller niche audience at first before it took off (before it got cancelled then came back and exploded).

R&M fans are as passionate if not more than Simpson or Family Guy fans. I did not predict it at all, but Im not surprised at the books selling for what they are going for. Looks like the blank sketch cover is going for a lot too. I wonder if the variants will start spiking as well. I see that a retailer variant sold for a lot and I don't see any others out there. Might be an extremely limited book that would hold its value.

Shhhhh Kev. No more talk about the blanks, I'm not done buying yet for SDCC. lol  I need a Morty!

If you are referring to the Roiland variant you are right. It was a 1:50 and very difficult to track down. 

15 minutes ago, IntoAnother said:

Shhhhh Kev. No more talk about the blanks, I'm not done buying yet for SDCC. lol  I need a Morty!

If you are referring to the Roiland variant you are right. It was a 1:50 and very difficult to track down. 

Damn, I wish I would have researched harder before LA Comic Con last year. I got a few comics including a #1 first print and some variants. Good books, but I should have gotten a blank and maybe looked for the 1:50. Not sure what the price was at that time.

Justin and Dan were signing at LA Comic Con, so I took some books. I was in line with a facilitator, had my comics ready. UNFORTUNATELY, another facilitator in front of us got too many comics signed, took too much time, so Hot Topic then told everyone else that they only got one signature and it had to be on the free poster they were handing out. ARGHHHH!!!

When Seven to Eternity came out, I knew it was going to be popular. It was one of my speculation wins. I bought 6 copies of 1A cheap. I just got 3 copies of Redneck, hoping for same results. Fingers crossed.

(Im a little slow. I didn't get the pun on the name until yesterday. "OHHHHH, Redneck")

Edited by kevhtx

11 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

Damn, I wish I would have researched harder before LA Comic Con last year. I got a few comics including a #1 first print and some variants. Good books, but I should have gotten a blank and maybe looked for the 1:50. Not sure what the price was at that time.

Justin and Dan were signing at LA Comic Con, so I took some books. I was in line with a facilitator, had my comics ready. UNFORTUNATELY, another facilitator in front of us got too many comics signed, took too much time, so Hot Topic then told everyone else that they only got one signature and it had to be on the free poster they were handing out. ARGHHHH!!!

Now that's just cold. Hot Topic should have set the limit from the start. Since they didn't they definitely should have atleast let you swap out the poster for a book. 

27 minutes ago, IntoAnother said:

Now that's just cold. Hot Topic should have set the limit from the start. Since they didn't they definitely should have atleast let you swap out the poster for a book. 

Yeah, made no sense. It would have taken them just the same amount of time to sign 1 comic. I asked Justin and Dan, but the Hot Topic Nazi was standing right next to them and told me no. Justin looked at me and shrugged his shoulders. Told me he was sorry and that if they were free after their panel he would sign it. Of course, I knew they wouldn't be free. Oh well. 

16 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

when was the last time a 20-30 book sold for 150-200 because of an appearance in CBM? 

Consistently. For almost 2 months

This one, unlike almost all of their other books show, actually has some validity. It had been a $50 book. Now, my guess is that dealers, speculators and fans are pushing the value since the show. If you're up on the trends, you knew about this book going up over a year ago, but many are many not as deep into the trends.

Some of the books from the recent season were the 1st Killgrave and Dynomutt. The only one I can think of quickly that was actually a good book was the Superman vs. Ali mag. That one however was also influenced by Ali's death.

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

This one, unlike almost all of their other books show, actually has some validity. It had been a $50 book. Now, my guess is that dealers, speculators and fans are pushing the value since the show. If you're up on the trends, you knew about this book going up over a year ago, but many are many not as deep into the trends.

Some of the books from the recent season were the 1st Killgrave and Dynomutt. The only one I can think of quickly that was actually a good book was the Superman vs. Ali mag. That one however was also influenced by Ali's death.

It has been a 20-30 book just like HUNDREDS of current 20-30 books with "potential". You know that come on. There is no "trend" on this book. A trend associated with this book would be Invader Zim, Adventure Time, regular show etc etc. none of these became 100- 200$ raw books at any time before. Although Invader Zim was outperforming R&M up until recently because it was actually written by Johenan Vasquez who created the show. 

And comparing Ali's death to an appearance on CBM as a trending factor is.. is.. I ran out of material guys, come on help me here

2 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

It has been a 20-30 book just like HUNDREDS of current 20-30 books with "potential". You know that come on. There is no "trend" on this book. A trend associated with this book would be Invader Zim, Adventure Time, regular show etc etc. none of these became 100- 200$ raw books at any time before. Although Invader Zim was outperforming R&M up until recently because it was actually written by Johenan Vasquez who created the show. 

And comparing Ali's death to an appearance on CBM as a trending factor is.. is.. I ran out of material guys, come on help me here

Um, I was agreeing with you.

Like many have suggested before, I seriously doubt that CBM is the reason for it to become the HUGE book that it is now. It was certainly the spark that ignited the fire. But I doubt that it will become a 20-30 book or even a 75 book ever again. 

These things happen. They have no reason. There are things that elevate a totally random semi key book like this one into blazing hot territories. But it's not always a trend or a print run or a movie optioned character. 

A similar example that comes to mind is Henchgirl. Just a random spec book that blew up outta nowhere because of no appearant reason other than speculative talks about TV show much like the hundreds of other books that received the same spec treatment