• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,756 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, ygogolak said:

American Gods premiered on Sunday. There have been a large number of sales over the past week but it looks like the only one with any decent margin is the ECCC exclusive.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Comics/63/i.html?LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_from=R40&_nkw=american+gods

dagnibbit, i meant to DVR that

Edited by the blob

9 hours ago, ygogolak said:

American Gods premiered on Sunday. There have been a large number of sales over the past week but it looks like the only one with any decent margin is the ECCC exclusive.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Comics/63/i.html?LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_from=R40&_nkw=american+gods

For a comic based on a book because there's a show? I should see what I can get for my signed first edition of the novel.

On 4/27/2017 at 4:57 PM, divad said:

True "ashcans" haven't existed for over three decades - what they call ashcans now are just variants. Do the homework . . . :grin:

#umactually

Probably a lot longer than that. (Of course, "over three decades" is a huge range of time.) Initially ashcans didn't have any original content except for a new title (http://www.recalledcomics.com/GoldenAgeAshcans.php). Then around the late-80s early 90s the term was attached to small preview comics. And now they seem to be applied to full-size previews.

On 4/16/2017 at 7:17 PM, sonicdan said:

There's been some serious action on the Valiant / Acclaim Quantum & Woody retailer review book since news of a Russo brothers show being in the works:

Quantum & Woody #1 High Grade NM/MT Priest Bright Retailers Preview Acclaim $150.89

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quantum-Woody-1-High-Grade-NM-MT-Priest-Bright-Retailers-Preview-Acclaim-/391748277370?hash=item5b3604547a:g:rpIAAOSwmgJY57AM

Quantum & Woody #1 Priest Bright Retailer Preview Review Variant Acclaim Valiant $135.99

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quantum-Woody-1-Priest-Bright-Retailer-Preview-Review-Variant-Acclaim-Valiant-/361954320022?hash=item5446289e96:g:jRwAAOSwls5Y8F5q

I just went through a few dozen pages of this thread since I've barely been on the boards since December. I'm surprised that this didn't get more of a mention. (Maybe cuz it's 20 years old and a lot of them are consolidated in the hands of Valiant collectors?) The retailer review is doing well, but the regular comics have lit up as well. I sold a NM-ish copy of the A cover for over $40, a clearly mid-grade copy for over $20, and have another mid-grade auction that has a bid for $20. When we get some real news on the show, I think this is really going to light up.

35 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I just went through a few dozen pages of this thread since I've barely been on the boards since December. I'm surprised that this didn't get more of a mention. (Maybe cuz it's 20 years old and a lot of them are consolidated in the hands of Valiant collectors?) The retailer review is doing well, but the regular comics have lit up as well. I sold a NM-ish copy of the A cover for over $40, a clearly mid-grade copy for over $20, and have another mid-grade auction that has a bid for $20. When we get some real news on the show, I think this is really going to light up.

Wow, I just looked at your auction.  $20 bid for that copy is damn good.  I said earlier in this thread I have a bunch of the retailer reviews except this one.  As a matter of fact, I never really even looked at this series when I used to really buy up Valiant stuff in cheapo bins.  I'm sure they can still be had if I dig deep enough in the near future.:wishluck:

3 minutes ago, gradejunky said:

Wow, I just looked at your auction.  $20 bid for that copy is damn good.  I said earlier in this thread I have a bunch of the retailer reviews except this one.  As a matter of fact, I never really even looked at this series when I used to really buy up Valiant stuff in cheapo bins.  I'm sure they can still be had if I dig deep enough in the near future.:wishluck:

And this is the completed auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152495642090?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1561.l2649

12 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

For a comic based on a book because there's a show? I should see what I can get for my signed first edition of the novel.

The Stain was a comic based on a book.

57 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

The Stain was a comic based on a book.

The Strain :shy:

And CGC 9.8 copies of #1 are going for about $50 now.

The people getting into American Gods based on the TV show want the book, not the comics.

9 minutes ago, mschmidt said:

The people getting into American Gods based on the TV show want the book, not the comics.

I agree 100%. You can get a raw set of Strain #1's for like $30. Wasn't the variant in 9.8 going for about $200?

In general, there are very few comics that have a huge spike and maintain that after a TV or movie release.

Edited by ygogolak

I sold my 1st ed HC back when the show was originally announced/greenlit. Probably not my smartest move.

10 hours ago, mschmidt said:

My thoughts too I am going to get the book to read as I love all Mythology. I got my comic book fix with Jupiter's legacy currently.

10 hours ago, ygogolak said:

I agree 100%. You can get a raw set of Strain #1's for like $30. Wasn't the variant in 9.8 going for about $200?

In general, there are very few comics that have a huge spike and maintain that after a TV or movie release.

The Strain has been interesting. They are changing the book to fit a TV show better and its working great. That bloodbank commercial is perfect. The Strain helds its value much longer then I expected.

2 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

My thoughts too I am going to get the book to read as I love all Mythology. I got my comic book fix with Jupiter's legacy currently.

The book is absolutely fantastic - one of Gaiman's best.

50 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Letter to Marvel,
Please stop pushing the Inhumans. Really please just stop.

Evidence

Wow. Ugly, inaccurate, wat the heck off all the way around imo. Not excited and not expecting a lot. The again, other than the Jenkins/Lee run, I've never been a huge fan of them. Every once in a while they'll have a decent story but few that stand out. The X-men are Marvel's premier team and due to movie rights and some forced storylines, this generation may never know it. 2c

12 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Letter to Marvel,
Please stop pushing the Inhumans. Really please just stop.

Evidence

I said the same thing and when I saw the official pic I thought it was a parody of some sort