• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,756 posts in this topic

Just now, Aweandlorder said:

Unbelievable.

A comic book based on a cartoon show/ not a first appearance with hundreds of variants and reprints by an independent publisher with no real big winners (6th gun is the only one I can think of that ever reached the 100 dollar mark), stomps almost every other hot spec book currently on the market 

Watch how all the spec'ers are gonna try and explain this now :eyeroll:

Well, it originally jumped because of the Comic Book Men TV show.

Rick & Morty fans are rabid, the show has a tremendous following. Prices make sense to me. I like the show quite a bit, but don't care about owning the comic, so I'm off the hook on this one.

23 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Well, it originally jumped because of the Comic Book Men TV show.

Regardless. The point Im trying to make is that in this market, much like other markets, you can never tell what will be the next hot thing by "speculating". You can just practice common sense, but that doesnt guarantee sh*t

I like the show a lot. Its a great show and the audience is the con audience precisely. Im not surprised at the price and I wouldn't be surprised if it goes up higher. The show will continue to be popular and just gain more and more fans. 

When I went to LA Comic Con last fall, the creators, Justin Roiland and Dan Harmon were there signing for Hot Topic. The line was huge and they cut it off quickly. 

I have a few Rick and Morty comics. I was surprised to see that they actually have some value and Ill send them in for grading soon.

Rick and Morty #1a print run was 17,610

For the popularity of the show, that is tiny. I think a lot of people didn't know it even existed until comicbookmen praised it. Nothing too weird here, just flew under the radar while the show exploded. The #16 SDCC (Last of Us) variant is a sleeper too IMO.

Edited by Hickok8AA8

2 minutes ago, Hickok8AA8 said:

For the popularity of the show, that is tiny. I think a lot of people didn't know it even existed until comicbookmen praised it. Nothing too weird here, just flew under the radar while the show exploded. The #16 SDCC (Last of Us) variant is a sleeper too IMO.

I've been trying to find a 9.8 copy for a while on that one.

1 hour ago, Hickok8AA8 said:

Rick and Morty #1a print run was 17,610

I can list you a hundred titles with name recognition to match said book (and many that are even higher) and with a print run half that size that havent exploded like this book did in the past 2 month 

This book's current value and trend is unexplainable

11 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

I can list you a hundred titles with name recognition to match said book (and many that are even higher) and with a print run half that size that havent exploded like this book did in the past 2 month 

This book's current value and trend is unexplainable

Ok, list 5 with a demographic and fan base as high as Rick and Morty.
It's really only fair to compare to other TV show/Animation based books though, the mass appeal is undeniable. It has over 600k live viewers per episode.  

Also it's easily explained, large fandom, extemely popular (mcdonalds is making szechuan sauce because of a joke they made), and it also was exposed on the ONLY comic show on cable. Easy math really. I get where you're coming from though, i'm not saying it's deserved value.

Edited by Hickok8AA8

17 minutes ago, Hickok8AA8 said:

Ok, list 5 with a demographic and fan base as high as Rick and Morty.
It's really only fair to compare to other TV show/Animation based books though, the mass appeal is undeniable. It has over 600k live viewers per episode.  

Why are there rules??? whos making rules on what a hot comic book that sells for over $100 consistently should look like or cater to? 

Look at ALL the IDW/BOOM/Dark Horse and Oni books based on much popular TV shows and movies that havent broke a $20 mark (OK Ill stop lying, they havent broke the $1 dollar mark). Most of these have total print run that is smaller than R&M, definitely some variants that arent even listed on any sales report ranks (in lower 1000s) that arent trending and never will

Does Rick & Morty even have a CGC appreciation thread????

Oh wait.. Here it is a WHOPPING 4 pages long :golfclap:

Good luck with making your case

Edited by Aweandlorder

BTW, Im not hating on the title at all. Im just making the point that a SIZZLING hot book's trend can never be predicted or explained.

Its not a print run issue, its not a 1st appearance issue (literally), its not a hot cover variant by a popular artist issue.

Take that spec'ers!

There are no rules, I was just putting it into it's category/genre. All the other mega-low print books your talking about (which ones??), nobody cares about and have no relevance in pop culture and 0 demand. It's no mystery at all friend, supply < demand.

I saw this book coming a mile away though, it had all my boxes checked (plus I'm a huge fan myself). I don't disagree with your logic in general, but on this book I do. In my humble opinion, the heat is justified. I bet it will be a $50 book forever at minimum.

Edited by Hickok8AA8

1 minute ago, Hickok8AA8 said:

There are no rules, I was just putting it into it's category/genre. All the other mega-low print books your talking about (which ones??), nobody cares about and have no relevance in pop culture and 0 demand. It's no mystery at all friend, supply < demand.

I saw this book coming a mile away though, it had all my boxes checked (plus I'm a huge fan myself). I don't disagree with your logic in general, but on this book I do.

No one cared about this book THIS MUCH up until a couple of months either :gossip:

2 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Why are there rules??? whos making rules on what a hot comic book that sells for over $100 consistently should look like or cater to? 

Look at ALL the IDW/BOOM/Dark Horse and Oni books based on much popular TV shows and movies that havent broke a $20 mark (OK Ill stop lying, they havent broke the $1 dollar mark). Most of these have total print run that is smaller than R&M, definitely some variants that arent even listed on any sales report ranks (in lower 1000s) that arent trending and never will

Does Rick & Morty even has a CGC appreciation thread????

Oh wait.. Here it is a WHOPPING 4 pages long :golfclap:

Good luck with making your case

That thread has absolutely nothing to do with the fan base. I own every Rick and Morty Cover they've made and I wasn't even aware that thread existed.

Similar to many of the appreciation threads on here, they pop up when a series begins to heat up. Just as the RAM thread did via a bump recently when Comic Book Men added some very unwanted (by me lol) attention on the series. 

The series is a great series, and if you love the show you'll more than likely greatly appreciate the added material in the comics. I do however suspect a price correction is coming. Hopefully on the blanks!

1 minute ago, IntoAnother said:

That thread has absolutely nothing to do with the fan base. I own every Rick and Morty Cover they've made and I wasn't even aware that thread existed.

Similar to many of the appreciation threads on here, they pop up when a series begins to heat up. Just as the RAM thread did via a bump recently when Comic Book Men added some very unwanted (by me lol) attention on the series. 

The series is a great series, and if you love the show you'll more than likely greatly appreciate the added material in the comics. I do however suspect a price correction is coming. Hopefully on the blanks!

First of all R&M #1 has been selling for 20-30 for a long while. Which suggests that there are collectible attributes to the book based on comic book readers (whether they are fans of the show, spec'rs, or just comic book men pun intended is remained to be seen). Usually when that happens (usually!) there would be a larger than average discussion on the boards pertaining to the book. It STILL hasnt happened.

And youre absolutely correct, as soon as a book explodes, in come the speculators and tell you "oh, I KNEW this would happen because this that and the other".

No one knew this time (and many many other times)

Could the R&M bump not be due to the fact that everyone knew the television series was coming back sometime in the Spring? 

My recollection is that a few months back it started appearing more and more frequently on the front page of reddit as people talked more and more about when the new season would drop. Those type of 'when is it coming back' conversations could lead people to look around for other formats to get their R&M fix? And then the first episode of the new season dropped unexpectedly on April Fools day, so attention is in full swing right now I'd say.

Anyway, just a thought, sometimes these things have no right answers.

11 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Can anyone here tell me with a straight face "oh I knew that because of the low print, the popularity of the show and the appearance in CBM that cover A of R&M will be a 200 book" lol

I wouldn't have guessed it would spike so high so fast, OR have a TV spot, BUT I can straight faced tell you that I knew it was overlooked and I have put my money on it for the past 7 months. Not a ton on census either, 38 9.8s and it's 2 years old. 

I think what you're failing to grasp is it's not that CBM raised the value, it just drew AWARENESS. None of my friends in real life that watch Rick and Morty knew there was a comic, let alone a good comic, based on the show. This is not the freak of nature you're making it out to be, are you upset you didn't stock up or what? haha

Edited by Hickok8AA8