• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, the blob said:

WHy do I feel like a bad person if I run to the shop now?

So I ran to the shop and I must be going blind because I paid cover price for the danged Deathstroke 35 variant, not the 36 (which they did not have), at least I got the right Wonder WOman variant.

So I will break even... stupid

And then I waddled over to midtown to find more and it seems they never got any delivered, I guess all their non-subscription copies were sent over to their NYCC booth because Mattina is signing there (not sure what happened to the WOnderwoman book)

So at least an hour of hunting and waddling will produce about $1 profit...

This is why I need to stay out of the modern flipping market. I am not good at it unless it is a dumb luck type thing of 20 copies of Saga 1 on the shelf.

4 minutes ago, the blob said:

So I ran to the shop and I must be going blind because I paid cover price for the danged Deathstroke 35 variant, not the 36 (which they did not have), at least I got the right Wonder WOman variant.

So I will break even... stupid

And then I waddled over to midtown to find more and it seems they never got any delivered, I guess all their non-subscription copies were sent over to their NYCC booth because Mattina is signing there (not sure what happened to the WOnderwoman book)

So at least an hour of hunting and waddling will produce about $1 profit...

This is why I need to stay out of the modern flipping market. I am not good at it unless it is a dumb luck type thing of 20 copies of Saga 1 on the shelf.

There was something weird going on with that Deathstroke 36 Mattina.  It's pretty rare that he'll surprise the market now and there are usually copies aplenty to be had for days.  It is an outstanding cover, but still....for this to surprise the market surprises me.  The WW JLD Witching Hour Variant is a pretty sharp book and I could see that being under-ordered due to the amount of books released as well as the $4.99 price tag on a multi-title storyline.  

It almost seems that you have to be in line when the store opens to have a copy or two of the very warm or hot books---just being an hour or two late means that there is nothing....

1 minute ago, Mapleleafvann said:

There was something weird going on with that Deathstroke 36 Mattina.  It's pretty rare that he'll surprise the market now and there are usually copies aplenty to be had for days.  It is an outstanding cover, but still....for this to surprise the market surprises me.  The WW JLD Witching Hour Variant is a pretty sharp book and I could see that being under-ordered due to the amount of books released as well as the $4.99 price tag on a multi-title storyline.  

It almost seems that you have to be in line when the store opens to have a copy or two of the very warm or hot books---just being an hour or two late means that there is nothing....

The guy at Midtown (downtown branch) was saying people showed up and 8 a.m. and were screaming about them not having any rack copies. It is not as if they had it behind the register at $20, they had no copies other than file customers.

Actually, probably a net loss of about $13 as I got hungry on my waddle back from midtown comics and wound up getting a roast beef sub and milkshake from potbelly samich shop on a day I was planning to skip lunch and just drink a lot of coffee in the office.

2 minutes ago, the blob said:

The guy at Midtown (downtown branch) was saying people showed up and 8 a.m. and were screaming about them not having any rack copies. It is not as if they had it behind the register at $20, they had no copies other than file customers.

Yeah, there's been a lot of people scrambling for this cover over the past few days and most shops were really light on ordering them.  At a guess, Mattina's output is one of the problems---he does like 3+ covers (not counting exclusives) per month...every month.  Perhaps people just thought there would be lots of copies of this book available ---hence you were able to pick up the previous Mattina variant from last month, just sitting there.

1 minute ago, BishopT said:

So, what's with today's Deadpool #5 selling for $20 ish or more right now? I get that it's a Garbage Pail Kids homage, but is there something more to it?

Very under-ordered....especially for a Deadpool book.  This one snuck up on folks right up until a couple of hours ago.  Online shops even had a good chunk of inventory available for cover...MCS shows that they are still available for $10 right now.

AHHHG, my LCS still had copies of that Deadpool, but as nobody said anything about it here I did not buy it! wahhhhh! it's all your fault!  (I should have bought it, I looked at it and thought it looked cool. I liked garbage pail kids. it was a skottie young cover too, right? I like him. seriously, why didn't I go for it?)

addendum: went back, they were all sold out, but in the interim they had dumped some good stuff in the dollar box, so it was not a total loss

7 minutes ago, the blob said:

AHHHG, my LCS still had copies of that Deadpool, but as nobody said anything about it here I did not buy it! wahhhhh! it's all your fault!  (I should have bought it, I looked at it and thought it looked cool. I liked garbage pail kids. it was a skottie young cover too, right? I like him. seriously, why didn't I go for it?)

addendum: went back, they were all sold out, but in the interim they had dumped some good stuff in the dollar box, so it was not a total loss

Did you perchance enjoy another sammie on the way home?  HA!

8 minutes ago, Mapleleafvann said:

Did you perchance enjoy another sammie on the way home?  HA!

No, I am still full from it and feel guilty because I promised my wife I would get back on my diet. A biggie roast beef and a shake do not qualify.

17 minutes ago, the blob said:

No, I am still full from it and feel guilty because I promised my wife I would get back on my diet. A biggie roast beef and a shake do not qualify.

Well, you have to subtract the calories you burned going to and from the store.....twice

1 hour ago, Mapleleafvann said:

Very under-ordered....especially for a Deadpool book.  This one snuck up on folks right up until a couple of hours ago.  Online shops even had a good chunk of inventory available for cover...MCS shows that they are still available for $10 right now.

What makes this one so interesting though? Can’t just be under-ordered. Great story, new character, great art?

20 minutes ago, rogue14 said:

What makes this one so interesting though? Can’t just be under-ordered. Great story, new character, great art?

Honestly, other than the cover art, I have no idea.  What I can tell you is that although the art for the cover was released before FOC, the trade dress format was not....so at the time of FOC, no one knew it was to be a GPK reference.