• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

Yea, if you preorder books for 35-50% off via like DCBS, even with shipping to you plus a bag and board from them, you can clear almost $10 a pop on that.  If you ordered 20 of these or something you'd be having a pretty good day.  If you are a retailer with a Diamond account and you ordered 100 of these just do the math.  If that ain't good profit then.....???

What we are seeing now is what you see at conventions - the retail modern buyers overpaying for books they need to have. It never ceases to amaze me what books will sell for at shows relative to other venues. Instead of paying cover for a new release at the LCS down the road, they will pay $10 - $20 for it at the show. 

1 hour ago, kimik said:

What we are seeing now is what you see at conventions - the retail modern buyers overpaying for books they need to have. It never ceases to amaze me what books will sell for at shows relative to other venues. Instead of paying cover for a new release at the LCS down the road, they will pay $10 - $20 for it at the show. 

Ah FOMO! 

On 6/24/2020 at 6:01 AM, manetteska said:
On 6/23/2020 at 10:49 PM, divad said:

I know this is in the context of Moderns, but there are a significant number of Moebius covers that put this one to shame. :whistle:

Not for single issue comics.

Define please? hm

52 minutes ago, bellrules said:

Ah FOMO! 

For anyone who had FOMO 25-30 years ago for Spawn 1, X-Men 1, Spider-Man 1.... there's been many opportunities to snag those books cheap at yard sales, comic shops, cons at affordable prices... even for a book like Seven to Eternity 1 it's an ample time to buy.... I understand FOMO if you only have one week to live 

Edited by littledoom

11 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Profit is profit.

No argument there. But time is time. Is 5 bucks worth it to drive to shop and check out or order it online, open box. Take photos, create listing, print label, pack it. Much rather buy a bigger book and make hundreds or thousands. It heated up for sure. Just not my thing.

10 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

$10 plus $5 for shipping or $15 free shipping are same exact thing. Either way people pay $15 for it. 

But many were paying $15 plus shipping. So like $3 on the book (if your shop or source is good about discounts) would make about $12 profit before fees.

Edited by BishopT

23 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:
11 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Profit is profit.

No argument there. But time is time. Is 5 bucks worth it to drive to shop and check out or order it online, open box. Take photos, create listing, print label, pack it. Much rather buy a bigger book and make hundreds or thousands. It heated up for sure. Just not my thing.

Understandable, I don't know anybody going to the shop for one book. I might be looking
for 1 and find 10. 

Customer acquisition helps as well. Guy buys $10 book from me then $100 book next. 
Buyers test a seller first, no on buys $1000 from a new seller. 

I have been flipping $1 books for almost $20 years now. I am perfectly fine with other sellers passing
them by. $5 to $10 profit is easy if you know how to do it right. Those buyers come back alot.

Edited by fastballspecial

1 minute ago, BishopT said:

But many were paying $15 plus shipping.

That's better, long as you didn't buy a ton of these, you were in at just the right time, and you are the right seller who is known and has a following or just lucky. Even $10 doesn't move the needle for me. I thought $15 sounded ok until I thought about it and decided it wasn't worth it for me personally. If it was something I already owned that heated up to $15 or $20 I would be in. But to order it with Hope's of it being hot no. Glad you guys are making $ though. Hope it goes up more. Money is money. I will keep reporting on books and hopefully people have them. 

7 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

That's better, long as you didn't buy a ton of these, you were in at just the right time, and you are the right seller who is known and has a following or just lucky. Even $10 doesn't move the needle for me. I thought $15 sounded ok until I thought about it and decided it wasn't worth it for me personally. If it was something I already owned that heated up to $15 or $20 I would be in. But to order it with Hope's of it being hot no. Glad you guys are making $ though. Hope it goes up more. Money is money. I will keep reporting on books and hopefully people have them. 

As long as you pay attention to what is coming out, it is not hard to selectively speculate on books. You have to pick and choose the 1st apps and hot covers carefully, but it can be done very profitably.

Edited by kimik

10 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Understandable, I don't know anybody going to the shop for one book. I might be looking
for 1 and find 10. 

Customer acquisition helps as well. Guy buys $10 book from me then $100 book next. 
Buyers test a seller first, no on buys $1000 from a new seller. 

I have been flipping $1 books for almost $20 years now. I am perfectly fine with other sellers passing
them by. $5 to $10 profit is easy if you know how to do it right. Those buyers come back alot.

Its not you it's me. My 3 closest shops are closed so not convenient to go to a shop anymore. Shops that are half hour to hour out don't seem to ever buy collections so no honey holes. Will have to spend a day checking in on them again. I figured the book would sell for $15. Figure the same thing about ironcat. I am lazy. Dont want to pack a book for 5 or 10 bucks. And if for some reason I am wrong I don't want to ship to break even or be stuck with a worthless book. 

1 hour ago, divad said:
On 6/24/2020 at 8:01 AM, manetteska said:
On 6/24/2020 at 12:49 AM, divad said:

I know this is in the context of Moderns, but there are a significant number of Moebius covers that put this one to shame. :whistle:

Not for single issue comics.

Define please? hm

There are several (many?) Moebius books from the copper age over $100 dollars but those are all graphic novels, TPBs, etc. Not a one-issue comic as part of a series.

Unless I am missing one....

14 minutes ago, kimik said:

As long as you pay attention to what is coming out, it is not hard to selectively speculate on books. You have to pick and choose the 1st apps and hot covers carefully, but it can be done very profitably.

Yeah I done it in the past. Just now getting back into it. I guess dcbs now charges market value for variants? I don't like the sound of that.

28 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

Yeah I done it in the past. Just now getting back into it. I guess dcbs now charges market value for variants? I don't like the sound of that.

You should be able to get DCBS discounts on bulk orders through your file LCS. Just talk to the manager/owner and they should be willing to set it up since it may help them qualify for a better Diamond/DC rate, or get a better ratio variant (which you will likely get first shot at as well). I changed my bulk deal to a new store a couple of years back to a closer LCS, but it is the same discount I had at my original one. And, if you are doing the bulk order, you should get all of the ratio variants at cover or the discount you work out with the store, not market value.

Edited by kimik

And a tip on speculating that I learned from a collector turned new store owner a few years back at the 2015 Calgary Expo - don't overthink it and go big on sure things. This individual was just coming off big wins with 1000 copies of Amazing Spider-Man #4 (Silk), EoSV #2 (Spider-Gwen), and then the newly released Darth Vader #3 (Dr. Aphra). We had a nice chat and then he sold us the remaining EoSV 2s he had on hand at the show that morning for $20 apiece, plus the ASM #4 1:10 and EoSV #2 1:25 variants for cheap. He parlayed his comic speculating wins from 2010 to 2014 into a building that he set up a LCS in. (thumbsu