• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

Obviously, its grown extremely fast. Not sure if its fastest ever, but it has jumped tremendously. The fact that CGC is getting more and more behind and trying to hire people is one sign (and its not just having added trading cards).

I've heard multiple people (on YouTube channels, not sure about these boards) complaining about CGC's turnaround times and then ALSO complaining about price increases. While I know its simplistic, CGC growing (and yes raising prices) is good for our hobby long term.

5 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

I've heard multiple people (on YouTube channels, not sure about these boards) complaining about CGC's turnaround times and then ALSO complaining about price increases. While I know its simplistic, CGC growing (and yes raising prices) is good for our hobby long term.

2 hours ago, HeroOfTheBeach said:kinda long; you can try this

I don’t know that I can get behind the methodology of this article. Feels very “Ok, Boomer” worthy

Third-party grading protects people that are viewing their collectibles as potential liquid investments. If you are just a reader or just a PC collector, then that’s not really relevant to you. The money piling into ALL hobbies right now gives defense to diversifying your investments and grading your stuff. I have PC AND investment stuff in both Comics and Cards. Buying graded protects me from having to trust Johnny Jagoff telling me their VF+ raw book is “CGC 9.8?” 

I believe people should buy and collect what they like, and shouldn’t complain about the natural ebbs and flows of the markets. But to be fair, I wouldn’t care about a guy like me’s opinion.

3 hours ago, HeroOfTheBeach said:

I made it three paragraphs in and bailed. 

If it's an old guy complaining about the escalating prices of comics, there's plenty of that whining to be found here on the boards. 

9 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

I made it three paragraphs in and bailed. 

If it's an old guy complaining about the escalating prices of comics, there's plenty of that whining to be found here on the boards. 

I made it to one

1 minute ago, jsilverjanet said:

I refuse to read anything that starts like this

I remember being able to go into a comic book store and coming out with a copy of Star Wars #1 (specifically a first printing from 1977 in an 8.0) for 12 bucks. Honest. Imagine that for a second. Me walking out of the shop in slow motion, plastic bag with my raw un-boarded Star Wars inside swinging IN SLOW MOTION to a phat hip hop beat, me putting on shades and the sunlight glinting off of them with lots of lens flare IN SLOW MOTION, and the comic shop blowing up behind me in a vertical plume of SLOW MOTION FIRE and me not even turning around.

Reminds me of all the b***ing with signature series about how artists should sign comics for free. "How dare anyone try to make a dime on the hobby that I love!!"

5 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I feel like you are setting me up. hm
I wont take the bait.

I'm not.

Whether you are aware or not, what you say in this thread (whether I agree or disagree) carries some weight far more than others. I think it's fair for some of us to question what you meant by that. It's evident you have an opinion so I would like to know what it is. 

especially in a forum that is about grading comics

And I'm not the only one who questioned. @Ryan. did also. Did you think we are in a secret pm, finding ways to bait you? hm 

18 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

I'm not.

Whether you are aware or not, what you say in this thread (whether I agree or disagree) carries some weight far more than others. I think it's fair for some of us to question what you meant by that. It's evident you have an opinion so I would like to know what it is. 

especially in a forum that is about grading comics

And I'm not the only one who questioned. @Ryan. did also. Did you think we are in a secret pm, finding ways to bait you? hm 

Thats funny. lol I  think you need more important sellers then me. 

I think its a fair statement to say money is flowing into grading companies right now at a level never seen before. Would anyone disagree so far? Didn't think so.

That's not a bad thing for awhile. Then you have a mountain of submissions at grading companies. Currently
like some already said FB is full of people complaining about it. Now you can tell who has submitted books and whohasn't by how they complain. Then add CGC raised prices and you have a "firestorm". Not really

Now, I still don't think this is a big deal yet. Company sees volume increase has only moderate competition so its time to cash in.That's what everyone else is doing right? So how is that volume going to effect the market? That's the real question. Is there a  volume of buyers for all these books coming? I don't have that answer.

My concern here is we are getting priced out of our own market. Keys I would like to have a personal collection are now beyond what I would ever spend and be rational. I am not the only one with this viewpoint. I am okay with this too because as someone will point out I am part of the problem. 

On a side note one of my LCSs just got into slabs the past few months. They started with 5 or 10 nice slabs well  graded then all of sudden they have 200. Dozens of poor grades of 8.5 to 9.0 on modern books Their semi keys in the 70s/80s are all 6 to 8.0s. I keep asking myself who are they going to sell these too?

The rise in mail fraud and deception is another large concern for sellers, buyer manipulation of slabs,(I saw 5 of these the past year a slab seller showed me 2 he caught.) OCD when they get the slab, restoration(and what changes for restoration funny how money changes that),theft, among others makes selling slabs really hard on now for some. This didn't used to be the case.
Now I am no different I sell a few dozen slabs a year and make good profit from it, but its only like 10% of my business on purpose I like diversity. 

On a side bar of this I am curious to see how many mistakes, over grades and damaged books come from this oversupply of admissions. Its stands to be a decent thought that as volume increases so will mistakes I think.

I think if you have keys you have had slabbed previously you are fine in this market in fact I think you are the right end especially in high grade. I would tell many to sell and put their money safely somewhere else, but I doubt they will listen. As Brad put earlier this does protect investments and he is right. 

Unlike many others I don't see this growth as good for the slab hobby I see it as a saturation. On the high end this is great for long time owners. Every else not so much. I mean when they are selling people on fractional purchases I never thought I would see that.

Only time will tell. But as a Buyer/Seller I am fascinated to see what happens over next 6 months to a year in this part of the hobby. I am a numbers person so increases in volume have to show me large increase in purchasing. Maybe someone else can answer that.

I am just glad its only 10% of my business. Just my two cents.

Edited by fastballspecial

Does anyone else have shops in their area that sell incentive variants at cover price? I have a shop near me that does this pretty much at random. They'll just mix in the incentive variants with the other issues, usually a week or more after it has been released. I got a bunch of the Batman 1:25 variants at cover price this way and today I got a few of the BRZRKR ratio variants. The Barmejo 1:25 and 2 of the Grampa 1:25 brown smoke variant. They had a copy of Unikorn too, makes me wish I would've checked them out after NCBD last week I probably could've snagged more than one copy

1159275472_Xe43lQ3-Imgur.thumb.jpg.d33309f25cfb7f876217a4fbc6c2ca18.jpg

$20 well spent IMO

They actually had two more of the brown smoke variants sitting out but they had dinged corners so I didn't grab them. Might go back for them hm

2 hours ago, BoogieWoogie said:

Does anyone else have shops in their area that sell incentive variants at cover price? I have a shop near me that does this pretty much at random. They'll just mix in the incentive variants with the other issues, usually a week or more after it has been released. I got a bunch of the Batman 1:25 variants at cover price this way and today I got a few of the BRZRKR ratio variants. The Barmejo 1:25 and 2 of the Grampa 1:25 brown smoke variant. They had a copy of Unikorn too, makes me wish I would've checked them out after NCBD last week I probably could've snagged more than one copy

1159275472_Xe43lQ3-Imgur.thumb.jpg.d33309f25cfb7f876217a4fbc6c2ca18.jpg

$20 well spent IMO

They actually had two more of the brown smoke variants sitting out but they had dinged corners so I didn't grab them. Might go back for them hm

can you still order all the copies of unicorn you want directly from the publisher for $1.99 each?

16 minutes ago, BoogieWoogie said:

Will those also be first prints? Or is it unlimited 2nd prints like Bad Idea is doing?

First prints. I'm sure the publisher has a pile of these for the time being. Oni Press had quite a few Sixth Gun back in the day when it got hot. That's how I was able to get a bunch of my copies. Always a good idea to check a publisher's website for some of these small press books.