• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your TOP 5 selling regrets!

192 posts in this topic

I dont have any pictures of most of the books I have regretted to sell over the years, but sometimes I wish I did just to look at them from time to time.

1.) Flash #1 I sold this in 1988 to Fishler. I had a friend take it around the big show circuit that summer after the International Superman Expo in Cleveland in May. It didnt sell and Steve called me every week wanting me to sell him that book. If it was graded Im guessing it would have been in the 6.5-7.0 range.

2.) More Fun #9 I picked this up from another dealer in 1993(?) All I knew was that is was one of the rarest issues in the run. It had a spine split but overall it wasn't too bad. I think it would have been a 3.0-3.5. I sold it to Want List Dave A. later that year I believe for a decent profit. He was pretty happy to grab it from me.

3.) Famous Funnies #1 (Golf cover) CGC 6.0 At the time this was the highest known graded copy in 2001/2002 if my memory serves me right. I was divorced in 1999 and needed some money and I had to part with this gem. I think I had it consigned to a Sotheby's auction to sell it but Im not sure.

4.) Flash #2, #3 I sold both of these gems to the same collector from Paducah, Ky at the Superman Expo in 1988. Both came from the same collection as the #1 I had at the time. If these were graded in 1988(I'm sure they have been in the last 25 years) they would have been in the 9.2-9.4 range. They were that flawless. The #3 had a rip on the first interior page, but it was nearly perfect. The person who had tried to sell my Flash #1 had a few MH books in his possession and these were as nice, if not nicer then those books.

5.) Detective #31 CGC 3.0 This was the 2nd copy of this book that I had owned. The first being a complete beater I had picked up at a Creation Con in 1987 for $150 and had Ms. Cicconi restore way back when that was cool to do. This book was from the large Golden Age stash I picked up in 2011. It brought a nice penny on Comiclink when I parted with it, but out of all those books(including the Batman #1), I would have liked to have kept this book the most.

Better to not keep the photos IMHO. Don't look back.

We have all sold because we had a choice and either path would have come with its own regrets.

Human Torch 8: San Francisco

I bet that was pretty.

It was! Part of Overstreet's collection sold at the official opening of Geppi's Diamond Gallery.

I wish I had the wherewithal to have been collecting GA books back then instead of what turned out to be meaningless Copper Age drek.

What Copper Age books were you collecting at that time?

Venus 19 cgc 4.5

sold to a fellow boardie. The regret was so strong I re-purchased the book in the Nov Heritage auction

Venus19_zps8981402e.jpg

CSS 22 cgc 4.5

Sold this to a boardie at the Calgary Expo comic con, he re-priced it and put it up on my wall for resale. I bought it back!

CSS22.jpg

AF15 cgc 3.0

I know, it is not GA but it is in my list of regrets.

af15.jpg

#4 Famous Funnies 212 cgc 6.5

My favorite cover from this series, and I sold it at a local comic convention to a buyer for what I paid for it. I made nothing on the deal, but he was looking at buying another book that I was hoping he would take and I sold him this to "sweeten" the deal. In the end he didn't buy the other book. I really would rather have kept the FF 212 :(

fam1_1031a.jpg

#5 Multiple Hulk 181's ( Yeah more non golden aged books )

Sold all of these copies, my buyers were other show dealers which tells me I priced them to low and left money on the table. I have been trying to replace books and I notice the price on low to mid grade seems to be going up.

Hulk181.jpg

Honorable mention:

Tomb of Terror #1

This was the first golden aged book I ever purchased. I should have kept it.

RAD184C920091120_172641.jpg

Glad you got your Venus #19 back -- one day I'll add a copy to my collection! :)

I'll narrow it to these

Action 4 Fine-

Action Comics 13 VG

Catman 26a Mile High 9.6

Catman 28 Mile High NM+

Giant Comics Editions 12 Missing back cover

Marvel Mystery 29 VF/VF+ (Amazing copy)

I dont have any pictures of most of the books I have regretted to sell over the years, but sometimes I wish I did just to look at them from time to time.

1.) Flash #1 I sold this in 1988 to Fishler. I had a friend take it around the big show circuit that summer after the International Superman Expo in Cleveland in May. It didnt sell and Steve called me every week wanting me to sell him that book. If it was graded Im guessing it would have been in the 6.5-7.0 range.

2.) More Fun #9 I picked this up from another dealer in 1993(?) All I knew was that is was one of the rarest issues in the run. It had a spine split but overall it wasn't too bad. I think it would have been a 3.0-3.5. I sold it to Want List Dave A. later that year I believe for a decent profit. He was pretty happy to grab it from me.

3.) Famous Funnies #1 (Golf cover) CGC 6.0 At the time this was the highest known graded copy in 2001/2002 if my memory serves me right. I was divorced in 1999 and needed some money and I had to part with this gem. I think I had it consigned to a Sotheby's auction to sell it but Im not sure.

4.) Flash #2, #3 I sold both of these gems to the same collector from Paducah, Ky at the Superman Expo in 1988. Both came from the same collection as the #1 I had at the time. If these were graded in 1988(I'm sure they have been in the last 25 years) they would have been in the 9.2-9.4 range. They were that flawless. The #3 had a rip on the first interior page, but it was nearly perfect. The person who had tried to sell my Flash #1 had a few MH books in his possession and these were as nice, if not nicer then those books.

5.) Detective #31 CGC 3.0 This was the 2nd copy of this book that I had owned. The first being a complete beater I had picked up at a Creation Con in 1987 for $150 and had Ms. Cicconi restore way back when that was cool to do. This book was from the large Golden Age stash I picked up in 2011. It brought a nice penny on Comiclink when I parted with it, but out of all those books(including the Batman #1), I would have liked to have kept this book the most.

Better to not keep the photos IMHO. Don't look back.

We have all sold because we had a choice and either path would have come with its own regrets.

Good point, choices sometimes need to be made and the good thing is that new options are then available. I'd love to still have many of the books I've sold but unfortunately my budget hasn't yet met up with my interests.

My solution when I truly regret selling a book is to wait for a better copy to come along.

I guess the top five would include Terrific #5, Crime Does Not Pay #24, Fight Against Crime #20, Daredevil Comics #11 and Mystic Comics #2. Honorable mentions to Thrilling #38, Lawbreakers Suspense #11 and Buster Crabbe #5.

I've managed it with them all so far except for the Mystic Comics #2. but it has taken about 7 years.

Unfortunately I don't keep scans of former books as they just remind me of what I'm missing.

I don't keep scans of x-books either it would be to painful.I was caught in the North Shore drinking to many Longboards to remember where i was glad to be back in the snow on the east coast, warm weather is overated :devil:

In no particular order; sorry I don't have pix:

Captain America Comics 1 low grade unrestored (couple of years ago) to a Boardie [David]

Batman 1 CGC 8.0 Susan C. (couple of years ago) via auction

Avengers 1 signed by Kirby (about 6 years ago) to a Boardie [Ralph]

my first XMen 1 that tsp got from Nice Price after I'd left it there for a price quote (about 25 years ago, when he and I were both mere amoeba)

Amazing Fantasy 15 I traded to my LCS for $140 new comics credit ~30 years ago

I'm sure I could go on and on, but those came to mind first.