• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your TOP 5 selling regrets!

192 posts in this topic

Human Torch 8: San Francisco

I bet that was pretty.

It was! Part of Overstreet's collection sold at the official opening of Geppi's Diamond Gallery.

Hmm Regrets,

AF 15 - Had two that went to Brulato and graded 9.4.

Detective 35: Nova Scotia, and Larson copies

More Fun 54: Larson, Nova Scotia, and an 8.5

More fun 65: 9.0

WonderWorld 7 - Allentown

Detective 31 - 5.5 wp

Fantastic 3: sold a nice fn to Fishler

Flash: 7 - 9.6 Nova Scotia, 14. 9.4, 33 (both 9.6 Frisco & church), 35, 37 (both 9.6 Frisco)

All American 21 PA copy

Dwight

Holy moly. The thought of losing those makes me sick. I imagine you got some excellent stuff in exchange?

Here are my top 5

This one is probably my biggest regret. Sold it on ebay for about what I paid for it. Saw it back up on Clink as a 9.0 upgrade highest on the census. It went for 5x what I originally sold if for. :frustrated:

Before

Cap27.jpg

After

Cap27b.jpg

6.5 to 9.0 :facepalm:

Here are my top 5

RL3fc_zpse98c819c.jpg

323.jpg

This one is probably my biggest regret. Sold it on ebay for about what I paid for it. Saw it back up on Clink as a 9.0 upgrade highest on the census. It went for 5x what I originally sold if for. :frustrated:

Before

Cap27.jpg

After

Cap27b.jpg

cap28.jpg

and finally

cap74fc2.jpg

What's the grade on the Cap 74. Noticed the PQ went up on the 27 as well.

Here are my top 5

Before

Cap27.jpg

After

Cap27b.jpg

That - is - insane.

To secure a minimum of grading quality one should hope that CGC-procedure prescribes that the individual graded book is tied to A RESPONSIBLE (i.e. can be identified) senior grader.

6.5 => 9.0 on such a book. That is directly embarassing. Something like this should cause a premature departure form the CGC family for the involved grader(s).

Yep,

It was the first book I grabbed on display as myself, Steve Fishler, and Joe V., were the first ones up the elevator onto the floor were the books were displayed.

I know who has it now, but I will keep it to myself.

Dwight

I know where the SF HT #8 is also. The owner got it upgraded from 9.6 to 9.8! :o

Here are my top 5

Before

Cap27.jpg

After

Cap27b.jpg

That - is - insane.

To secure a minimum of grading quality one should hope that CGC-procedure prescribes that the individual graded book is tied to A RESPONSIBLE (i.e. can be identified) senior grader.

6.5 => 9.0 on such a book. That is directly embarassing. Something like this should cause a premature departure form the CGC family for the involved grader(s).

I've also had a 6.5 go to 9.0 on a press/regrade. Sometimes a book has just the right defects to make a big upgrade possible.

Here are my top 5

RL3fc_zpse98c819c.jpg

323.jpg

Before

Cap27.jpg

After

Cap27b.jpg

cap28.jpg

and finally

cap74fc2.jpg

What's the grade on the Cap 74. Noticed the PQ went up on the 27 as well.

Cap 74 was a 6.0 :sorry:

I bet that was pretty.

It was! Part of Overstreet's collection sold at the official opening of Geppi's Diamond Gallery.

I wish I had the wherewithal to have been collecting GA books back then instead of what turned out to be meaningless Copper Age drek.

Like MrBedrock, I find it hard to regret selling things because I needed the money at the time for something important. However, leaving that aside, I have an endless list of things I wish I'd kept (hindsight being 20/20).

Probably at the top of the list, for sentimental reasons: In 1975, I attended my first-ever comic convention in Orlando Florida. One of the main guests was Harvey Kurtzman. I was collecting Mad at the time. I bought a Mad 1 in fine for about $60 and got HK to autograph it. I also bought a Mad 7 and did the same. In 1983, I had to come up with $400 or so to pay off my college tuition debt so that I could receive my degree. I sold the two HK autographed books for about $500. At the time, I thought I could get a better copy of Mad 1 later and still get HK's autograph on it at a future convention.

The person who ended up with those two books told me for decades that if he ever decided to sell them, he would give me first shot (at today's market price, of course). However, about a year ago, his house got burglarized and they stole his safe with the books in it. I feel certain that those books are lost for good.

Like the "King of Comics" and a number of you on this board, I have been involved in the hobby for decades (started collecting in 1967, started buying and selling in about 1972). I have yet to see prices on truly rare or high grade items go down. They only continue to go up. I made the decision about 15 years ago to start "holding" rather than "selling" my premium items. I only wish I had made that decision sooner.

I had a 6.0 cap 2 press to an 8.5... a boardie just bought it at heritage this past auction (I sold it long ago, though)

[font:Times New Roman]Ah-ha! Thought so! Matt's the best, but the tell-tale tooth marks & gator drool stains are still detectible![/font] smiley-char156.gif

I bet that was pretty.

I wish I had the wherewithal to have been collecting GA books back then instead of what turned out to be meaningless Copper Age drek.

Me too. I didn't pick up any GA books. :(

I did manage to pick up a few prehero Marvels. :cloud9:

Like MrBedrock, I find it hard to regret selling things because I needed the money at the time for something important. However, leaving that aside, I have an endless list of things I wish I'd kept (hindsight being 20/20).

Probably at the top of the list, for sentimental reasons: In 1975, I attended my first-ever comic convention in Orlando Florida. One of the main guests was Harvey Kurtzman. I was collecting Mad at the time. I bought a Mad 1 in fine for about $60 and got HK to autograph it. I also bought a Mad 7 and did the same. In 1983, I had to come up with $400 or so to pay off my college tuition debt so that I could receive my degree. I sold the two HK autographed books for about $500. At the time, I thought I could get a better copy of Mad 1 later and still get HK's autograph on it at a future convention.

The person who ended up with those two books told me for decades that if he ever decided to sell them, he would give me first shot (at today's market price, of course). However, about a year ago, his house got burglarized and they stole his safe with the books in it. I feel certain that those books are lost for good.

Like the "King of Comics" and a number of you on this board, I have been involved in the hobby for decades (started collecting in 1967, started buying and selling in about 1972). I have yet to see prices on truly rare or high grade items go down. They only continue to go up. I made the decision about 15 years ago to start "holding" rather than "selling" my premium items. I only wish I had made that decision sooner.

[font:Times New Roman]Great story, plasticman! You should post to this board more often. [/font] :hi:

[font:Times New Roman]Great story, plasticman! You should post to this board more often. [/font] :hi:

I wish he would too. Ken is a longtime buddy of mine, and only rarely has let me talk him into selling me some of his amazing collection. It has been a while though. Once in a while he will show some pity and let me buy one of his many multiple copies of a particular key book

:)

Here are my top 5

Before

Cap27.jpg

After

Cap27b.jpg

That - is - insane.

I've also had a 6.5 go to 9.0 on a press/regrade. Sometimes a book has just the right defects to make a big upgrade possible.

True enough. Having the PQ on this one go from LT-OW to CR-OW has to have resulted in a significant jolt to its value.

Here are my top 5

Before

Cap27.jpg

After

Cap27b.jpg

That - is - insane.

True enough. Having the PQ on this one go from LT-OW to CR-OW has to have resulted in a significant jolt to its value.

Funny how as the books get older the pages get better.

Venus 19 cgc 4.5

sold to a fellow boardie. The regret was so strong I re-purchased the book in the Nov Heritage auction

Venus19_zps8981402e.jpg

CSS 22 cgc 4.5

Sold this to a boardie at the Calgary Expo comic con, he re-priced it and put it up on my wall for resale. I bought it back!

CSS22.jpg

AF15 cgc 3.0

I know, it is not GA but it is in my list of regrets.

af15.jpg

#4 Famous Funnies 212 cgc 6.5

My favorite cover from this series, and I sold it at a local comic convention to a buyer for what I paid for it. I made nothing on the deal, but he was looking at buying another book that I was hoping he would take and I sold him this to "sweeten" the deal. In the end he didn't buy the other book. I really would rather have kept the FF 212 :(

fam1_1031a.jpg

#5 Multiple Hulk 181's ( Yeah more non golden aged books )

Sold all of these copies, my buyers were other show dealers which tells me I priced them to low and left money on the table. I have been trying to replace books and I notice the price on low to mid grade seems to be going up.

Hulk181.jpg

Honorable mention:

Tomb of Terror #1

This was the first golden aged book I ever purchased. I should have kept it.

RAD184C920091120_172641.jpg

I dont have any pictures of most of the books I have regretted to sell over the years, but sometimes I wish I did just to look at them from time to time.

1.) Flash #1 I sold this in 1988 to Fishler. I had a friend take it around the big show circuit that summer after the International Superman Expo in Cleveland in May. It didnt sell and Steve called me every week wanting me to sell him that book. If it was graded Im guessing it would have been in the 6.5-7.0 range.

2.) More Fun #9 I picked this up from another dealer in 1993(?) All I knew was that is was one of the rarest issues in the run. It had a spine split but overall it wasn't too bad. I think it would have been a 3.0-3.5. I sold it to Want List Dave A. later that year I believe for a decent profit. He was pretty happy to grab it from me.

3.) Famous Funnies #1 (Golf cover) CGC 6.0 At the time this was the highest known graded copy in 2001/2002 if my memory serves me right. I was divorced in 1999 and needed some money and I had to part with this gem. I think I had it consigned to a Sotheby's auction to sell it but Im not sure.

4.) Flash #2, #3 I sold both of these gems to the same collector from Paducah, Ky at the Superman Expo in 1988. Both came from the same collection as the #1 I had at the time. If these were graded in 1988(I'm sure they have been in the last 25 years) they would have been in the 9.2-9.4 range. They were that flawless. The #3 had a rip on the first interior page, but it was nearly perfect. The person who had tried to sell my Flash #1 had a few MH books in his possession and these were as nice, if not nicer then those books.

5.) Detective #31 CGC 3.0 This was the 2nd copy of this book that I had owned. The first being a complete beater I had picked up at a Creation Con in 1987 for $150 and had Ms. Cicconi restore way back when that was cool to do. This book was from the large Golden Age stash I picked up in 2011. It brought a nice penny on Comiclink when I parted with it, but out of all those books(including the Batman #1), I would have liked to have kept this book the most.