• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your TOP 5 selling regrets!

192 posts in this topic

in a way i regret every book i have sold.

even if it was, as in almost all cases, to finance another book purchase.

if i have to pick 5, it would probably be the last 5 Action Comics #2's i owned...

in order from first:

action2-1.jpg

action2-2.jpg

action2-3.jpg

action2-4.jpg

action2-5.jpg

oh, and just incase you were wondering what my number 6 is, here: :insane:

action2-6.jpg

thank god i hung onto this beauty:

action2-7.jpg

:banana:

Obviously common as dirt down under!

Those are beautiful books Ryan. I know and feel your pain, especially the Detective 35. I had the Larson Tec 35, a beauty 9.2 ® with only a cleaned cover and the most beautiful registration and centering of any copy out there. Had to sell it when I got divorced. But you know the great thing about all these "regrets"? At least we had them when we needed them. They are wonderful books and great memories. But sometimes life hits you with a curveball. And we, as comic collectors, are fortunate to have these great books to fall back on if we need a few bucks (or a lot of bucks) to help with whatever situation we are in. The bonus is there are always other books out there to chase and collect to help us create new memories. As much as I miss some of the books I've sold (Mark Zaid - I hope you are taking care of that 9.0 More Fun 65!), I love the books I have now even more. Regrets, maybe a little. But in the long run, not really.

I never cease to be impressed by the lucidity of your thinking. I agree with every word!

One major change in the Internet Age is that people who would not have been given a voice by the dead tree media find themselves with a platform and a microphone.

Those who have known the Tall Texan are in no way surprised in the quality of his posts as they reflect the thoughtful and humorous observations he makes in his casual conversations.

Those are beautiful books Ryan. I know and feel your pain, especially the Detective 35. I had the Larson Tec 35, a beauty 9.2 ® with only a cleaned cover and the most beautiful registration and centering of any copy out there. Had to sell it when I got divorced. But you know the great thing about all these "regrets"? At least we had them when we needed them. They are wonderful books and great memories. But sometimes life hits you with a curveball. And we, as comic collectors, are fortunate to have these great books to fall back on if we need a few bucks (or a lot of bucks) to help with whatever situation we are in. The bonus is there are always other books out there to chase and collect to help us create new memories. As much as I miss some of the books I've sold (Mark Zaid - I hope you are taking care of that 9.0 More Fun 65!), I love the books I have now even more. Regrets, maybe a little. But in the long run, not really.

I never cease to be impressed by the lucidity of your thinking. I agree with every word!

One major change in the Internet Age is that people who would not have been given a voice by the dead tree media find themselves with a platform and a microphone.

Those who have known the Tall Texan are in no way surprised in the quality of his posts as they reflect the thoughtful and humorous observations he makes in his casual conversations.

I one day look forward to being in the same room as the pair of you!

True Mr. B ... plus I'm sure the hurt from letting go of any books was greatly softened by that incredible DETECTIVE #31!!!

I've been in the same room as Richard on several occasions; everybody looks up to him no matter what he says. :grin:

All kidding aside, he's one seriously nice dude; moreover, someone whose opinion I trust.

I've been in the same room as Richard on several occasions; everybody looks up to him no matter what he says. :grin:

All kidding aside, he's one seriously nice dude; moreover, someone whose opinion I trust.

Look at this love fest! I'm getting all kinds of warm and fuzzys just reading it all. I think you guys are all great and have really enjoyed being able to share passions and enthusiasms on the boards!

And I agree, Mr. Bedrock is an appropriate name for such a solid guy! (thumbs u

Also, although I've never met him, I'm pretty sure Straw-man is a total geek. ;)

Yeah- that just happened!

I'm sure the hurt from letting go of any books was greatly softened by that incredible DETECTIVE #31!!!

I sold it :ohnoez:

I'm sure the hurt from letting go of any books was greatly softened by that incredible DETECTIVE #31!!!

I sold it :ohnoez:

WHAT?? :o

Well, I'm sure you made a tidy profit on that one... what a great book!!

I did A-OK. One of life's curveballs. It helped me get a new house (thumbs u

These are the four books I most regret selling. Blue Beetle 1 would be the fifth(unfortunately, I don't have a scan of that one).

622528-wonderworld.jpg

569784-daredevil.jpg

lfCAXLT143.jpg

lfCA0OC2MK.jpg

The Wonder Woman and All Star ashcans are at the top of my list.

The Windy City Marvel 1 is up there too (I remember Steve Geppi warning me not to sell it - that it was the third best copy at the time.)

And two Mars Attacks paintings

GaryandSteve.jpg

Gary076_1.jpg

Gary077.jpg

Item_863_1.jpg

mars_05052208.jpg

For gold, it's probably Detective 36 and 37 and 39, plus for sentimental reasons, the Batman 21 and 30 that were the first gold comics I ever bought for my collection.

Overall, I'm sure it has to be my TMNT #1 with original envelope, that I got straight from Eastman and Laird from a mention in CBG.

The Windy City Marvel 1 is up there too (I remember Steve Geppi warning me not to sell it - that it was the third best copy at the time.)

Gary076_1.jpg

Gary077.jpg

DANG! Thanks for posting the pics Gary. I can tell this was a fine looking funny book. Look how white that interior cover is!! Look at that round spine!!

Was there any resto on this book?

Got to get me one of those one day and make sure it stays off the regret list...

True Mr. B ... plus I'm sure the hurt from letting go of any books was greatly softened by that incredible DETECTIVE #31!!!

Would love to see that book

detective31cgc.jpg

Even though I have sold comics, I have not posted any regret stories because it was hard to come up with 5 stories. I also didn't have scans as any regrets are from a long time ago. Then I remembered that I had a number of color photocopies of my books and going through those notebooks was able to find a few examples.

Save for regret #1, I can counterbalance the sadness of the sale/trade with the pleasure of the books I acquired with the proceeds. I have far more regrets for books I didn't buy than for books I sold.

Posting in reverse order:

5. This book was the first book I won at a live auction. Bill Hughes, under the Executive Collectibles banner, put on a sale in Newport Beach which was near enough for me to attend in person. I had very few early comics at that time and even fewer Church copies so was quite pleased when I won it for a reasonable price. It had the advantage of being red, with incredibly rich colors and gloss, representing the best of what you see from the Church collection.

While I like love red covers, I had the book with me the year I had the chance to purchase the Church copy of Police 25. I recounted this in another post but it's one of my favorite comics and so I concluded the deal on a Friday at SD Con and needed to come up with the money.

I approached the buyer of my Regret #3 buyer about the book but, though he loved the it,it was a bit off the beaten path for him. Jon Snyder was attending the Con to act as a purchasing agent for Steve Geppi who was buying up Church copies left and right. I ran into him and he purchased the book on the spot. Later in the show the WW8 buyer came back up to me to buy the book, cursing himself when he found I'd already sold it. The next time I had a red Church issue for sale he bought it from me. :cool:

It is still available but at a higher price than when I sold it.

http://www.metropoliscomics.com/load_bookDetails.php?id=235614&set=0

SlamBang2.jpg

detective31cgc.jpg

Holy mess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!