• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your TOP 5 selling regrets!

192 posts in this topic

4. Regret #3 buyer sold off a number of killer 1940s Church copies and, while I had my chances, I kept passing until it came to this book which had a red cover. It was not cheap at the time, but the thought struck me that I might be able to indulge in a fun adventure by chasing after a pedigree copy of a red cover from from each of the DC titles of the late 40s. Have I mentioned that I like red covers? hm

Pretty much every DC title of that time period had a nifty red cover and I already had a couple and so might as well as add this issue. Unfortunately, I made no progress after that for several years. That, coupled with the rising prices driven by advent of CGC, motivated me to bring it to SD Con where a Boardie helped his brother buy the book.

No scan for the Detective 127 but here's a link to what a lesser copy looks like http://www.metropoliscomics.com/load_bookDetails.php?id=66954&enlarge=1

3. This book is from Overstreet's set of White Mountain Journey Into Mysterys. There were a number of high grade precode issues that I picked up and later sold save one I held back. It's not a particularly sought after cover/issue but there's something about the WM copy that is particularly compelling.

At the time that I had it my horror collecting was in a nascent phase and the book was an outlier, not particularly connected to the others. On a visit to see a friend's collection I saw a number of pre-hero Marvel WMs that he had that would fill some important holes in my set. He, in turn, was looking to pick up a few precode horror books so we easily concluded a mutually agreeable trade.

It was only a few years later when my horror collection had filled out that I noticed a gap in the early Atlas era that would be nicely filled by a Journey Into Mystery 3. :(

I don't think the scan of the photocopy does justice to the book but it's all I've got.

JIM3.jpg

The Windy City Marvel 1 is up there too (I remember Steve Geppi warning me not to sell it - that it was the third best copy at the time.)

Gary076_1.jpg

Gary077.jpg

DANG! Thanks for posting the pics Gary. I can tell this was a fine looking funny book. Look how white that interior cover is!! Look at that round spine!!

Was there any resto on this book?

Got to get me one of those one day and make sure it stays off the regret list...

No resto done while I owned it. Rumor had it that the cover was cleaned by the buyer so it got a bit of a bad rep. HA sold it as the White Rose copy. It got a blue label though, but I don't recall if it is a 9.0 or 8.5.

No resto done while I owned it. Rumor had it that the cover was cleaned by the buyer so it got a bit of a bad rep. HA sold it as the White Rose copy. It got a blue label though, but I don't recall if it is a 9.0 or 8.5.

The White Rose copy was a 8.5 C-OW.

Although I`ve been in selling mode for pretty much the past 5 years, I`ve actually sold very few GA books. Probably because I`ve never owned many GA books and don`t think most of them are very saleable since none are Timely or DC superhero books. The only GA books that I HAVE sold were my Ducks, so here are my top 5 in terms of selling regret, in no particular order.

1. FC 386 aka Uncle Scrooge 1. Purchased off Heritage back in 2003, the first Duck book that I ever ran into stiff competition for.

FC386.jpg

2. WDCS 140, the first Gyro Gearloose and a wonderful cover with an early cover appearance by Uncle Scrooge. Yellow covers are to me what red covers are to adamstrange. Purchased from Josh Nathanson in 2003--he cut me a "break" on the price to a princely 4X Guide because it was attached to the purchase of the Bethlehem Adventure #247. Yes, back in 2003 4X Guide for a 9.4 GA Duck book was considered to be expensive!

WDCS140.jpg

3. WDCS 41, and a favorite cover of mine because of the innocent joy of the cover. Purchased raw from Metro in 2002 during my first and only visit to their NY offices. Vinnie trotted out a bunch of very nice WDCSs and I cherrypicked this one and a WDCS 85 at what seemed like very high prices at the time, before slabbed HG Duck prices skyrocketed. I guess my real regret NOW is not buying more, but it just goes to show you that at any given moment in time, books are almost always fully priced and rarely seem cheap--only in hindsight do they look cheap. Who would`ve ever thought that Ducks, eschewed by most GA collectors, would become one of the hottest GA segments for a few years?

wdcs41.jpg

4. FC 282, the Pixilated Parrot. An unbelievably tough book to find in high grade, even after all these years with pressing and Census creep, this 9.2 copy is still at the top of the Census with the next highest graded copies at 8.5. I purchased this raw from Bill Hughes back in the 1990s, and it would`ve been a 9.6 but for apparently being dropped on its lower left corner at some point in its history.

FC282.jpg

5. FC 328, Old California. Always broken out in the Guide for showing peyote use, but it`s so subtle I would never have even noticed it when reading the story if I hadn`t been looking for it. Also purchased raw from Bill Hughes at the same time that I bought the FC 282.

fc328.jpg

2. This next book is from Bob Overstreet's beautiful set of Allentown Lou Fine comics. It had somehow been overlooked at the original feeding frenzy of the Diamond Gallery opening and was still there months later, anachronistically out of place in a box of low grade 50s books.

A friend of mine was putting together a very nice selection of Lou Fine Fox books and had wanted my Wonderworld 8 to add his mix. I was amenable trade/cash deal but we couldn't come to agreement on value. He was willing to pay "x" which was less than what I wanted, only we didn't realize at the time that we were talking past each other. He was offering x times Guide and I was willing to sell it for total amount y. When calculated out, he was actually offering me more in total value than I would have charged him. doh! He has since found a very nice copy (the Larson) with an assist from sacentaur so he's a pretty happy camper.

Not long after the failed deal, it was time to head to SD Con and I had no money for a show that, at the time, had always been a good one for finding books. When I looked at my collection I felt that the book stood out as it was worth significantly more than most any other issue without it being a "key." Faced with the possibility of having to turn down a bevy of bargains or selling the big book, I put it in my luggage.

There was another frequent show goer who was trying to reassemble the Allentown collection, sans the Tec 27. Sure enough I met him on setup night and hand over a small roll of Benjamens, the most cash I can recall having in my hands up to that point. It was auspicious start to probably my most intense and fruitful SD Con ever. I miss the book but I still glow when I think of that show. :cloud9:

When the purchaser gave up his Allentown quest (partly for financial reasons and partly at frustration of the slow progress), I helped connect him to another Boardie. When that Boardie decided there was a Fox book he wanted more, I connected him to Mr Bedrock who owns the Wonderworld 8, now parked in a 9.4 slab.

I must apologize for the scan as the photocopy has deteriorated, giving an appearance of defects that do not exist on the comic.

WonderWorld8.jpg

1. One year I decided to do a little pruning and determined that I probably had a spare Frazetta comic. I brought my Famous Funnies 209 to SD Con where I was sharing a booth with some other collectors. While it later graded 9.6 and I would be happy to have it back, that's not what I regret selling. It's the back I sold after that.

While making conversation with a friend I mentioned the FF 209 sale. He asked if I had any other Famous Funnies and I said my FF 213 could be for sale. After a bit more conversation I told him I would sell it for my purchase price but I didn't have it with me.

When I returned home from the Con I pulled the FF 213 out of it's box and was surprised at how nice it was. Much prettier and cooler than I had remembered. There was nothing for it so out it went in the mail to its present owner, a super nice guy who definitely appreciates the book.

All experiences are opportunities to learn and the lesson I took away that time is to never sell a book "blind." Ever since then I have not sold a book without looking at it first to confirm that I actually am ready to part with.

FamousFunnies213.jpg

I must apologize for the scan as the photocopy has deteriorated, giving an appearance of defects that do not exist on the comic.

WonderWorld8.jpg

Wow ... no need for apologies, you can still see the roundness of the spine and the colors. What a great copy of a classic cover book!!

WonderWorld8.jpg

Wow ... no need for apologies, you can still see the roundness of the spine and the colors. What a great copy of a classic cover book!!

One of my fav books

1. One year I decided to do a little pruning and determined that I probably had a spare Frazetta comic. I brought my Famous Funnies 209 to SD Con where I was sharing a booth with some other collectors. While it later graded 9.6 and I would be happy to have it back, that's not what I regret selling. It's the back I sold after that.

While making conversation with a friend I mentioned the FF 209 sale. He asked if I had any other Famous Funnies and I said my FF 213 could be for sale. After a bit more conversation I told him I would sell it for my purchase price but I didn't have it with me.

When I returned home from the Con I pulled the FF 213 out of it's box and was surprised at how nice it was. Much prettier and cooler than I had remembered. There was nothing for it so out it went in the mail to its present owner, a super nice guy who definitely appreciates the book.

All experiences are opportunities to learn and the lesson I took away that time is to never sell a book "blind." Ever since then I have not sold a book without looking at it first to confirm that I actually am ready to part with.

FamousFunnies213.jpg

D-o-o-h-h-h!

Absolutely wonderful regret books, as might be expected, and great background stories. :applause:

2. This next book is from Bob Overstreet's beautiful set of Allentown Lou Fine comics. It had somehow been overlooked at the original feeding frenzy of the Diamond Gallery opening and was still there months later, anachronistically out of place in a box of low grade 50s books.

A friend of mine was putting together a very nice selection of Lou Fine Fox books and had wanted my Wonderworld 8 to add his mix. I was amenable trade/cash deal but we couldn't come to agreement on value. He was willing to pay "x" which was less than what I wanted, only we didn't realize at the time that we were talking past each other. He was offering x times Guide and I was willing to sell it for total amount y. When calculated out, he was actually offering me more in total value than I would have charged him. doh! He has since found a very nice copy (the Larson) with an assist from sacentaur so he's a pretty happy camper.

Not long after the failed deal, it was time to head to SD Con and I had no money for a show that, at the time, had always been a good one for finding books. When I looked at my collection I felt that the book stood out as it was worth significantly more than most any other issue without it being a "key." Faced with the possibility of having to turn down a bevy of bargains or selling the big book, I put it in my luggage.

There was another frequent show goer who was trying to reassemble the Allentown collection, sans the Tec 27. Sure enough I met him on setup night and hand over a small roll of Benjamens, the most cash I can recall having in my hands up to that point. It was auspicious start to probably my most intense and fruitful SD Con ever. I miss the book but I still glow when I think of that show. :cloud9:

When the purchaser gave up his Allentown quest (partly for financial reasons and partly at frustration of the slow progress), I helped connect him to another Boardie. When that Boardie decided there was a Fox book he wanted more, I connected him to Mr Bedrock who owns the Wonderworld 8, now parked in a 9.4 slab.

WonderWorld8.jpg

wonderworld8.jpg

WonderWorld8.jpg

wonderworld8.jpg

Holy Carp! (To both of you!)

WonderWorld8.jpg

One of my fav books

It's a great book! I failed to mention that by the time I sold it I had managed to pick up Wonderworld 7 and 11 so selling it did not result in an empty cupboard. If it had, I would still own the book.

Holy Carp! (To both of you!)

There's been a dramatic change in the way that nice books come to market in the 21st Century given the prevalence of auctions. I so seldom had the opportunity to buy the "cool stuff" that seeing the book in the shortbox at Diamond Galleries was akin to winning the lottery.

WonderWorld8.jpg

One of my fav books

It's a great book! I failed to mention that by the time I sold it I had managed to pick up Wonderworld 7 and 11 so selling it did result in an empty cupboard. If it had, I would still own the book.

:applause:

None of my books compare to the amazing Pedigrees and high grade examples in this thread, but I found the scans to a few others that I regret selling.

I have another one of these, but it's a little rattier than this one.

scan0006-2.jpg

I haven't seen another copy of this Lugosi cover since I sold this one.

scan0008-1.jpg

This is such a pretty copy. I have another one, but not as nice.

scan0002-1.jpg