• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ouch - Latest CGC Submission = FAIL....

130 posts in this topic

For those that doubt...

IMG_4029.jpg

The only thing that changed was the label. Same book. Same condition.

One subbed directly, the other pre-screened at 9.8.

Same book. Same condition.

One's a $30-$40 label, the other sold for $160.

Your opinion simply doesn't matter. My opinion simply doesn't matter.

CGC's is the only one that matters.

What did it cost for the book, grading + postage both ways, pre-screen, grading + postage both ways, plus ebay/paypal fees? :shrug:

Book probably cost $10, as that's what I usually pay for these.

Initial grading was onsite, so $24, no postage.

Pre-screen is free if the book passes.

Grading and postage the second time was averaged to $20.

So.....$10+$24+20 = $54

Sold for $160

Minus $12.10 FVF fee, minus 50 cents listing fee, minus $4.94 Paypal fee = $142.46.

$142.46 - $54 = $88.46 profit.

Had I sold it as a 9.4 (as I STUPIDLY sold a Cerebus #21 9.6 and X-Men #117 9.6), I would have sold it for *about* $40 tops, which means I would have lost money even without the regrade.

So this was just a straight crack and resub from the 9.4 slab? How long had it been in the 9.4 slab? I have heard people mention sometimes that the way CGC encases these that some defects overtime may just kind of flatten themselves out being samwiched in the inside piece of plastic and then in the actual hard slab itself.

Anyone think there is any truth to this at all?

I don't know.

Now all the bases are covered.

With RMA, anything is possible. I have done straight resubs and gotten huge bumps in grade.

I have heard people mention sometimes that the way CGC encases these that some defects overtime may just kind of flatten themselves out being samwiched in the inside piece of plastic and then in the actual hard slab itself.

I doubt it.

I don't know.

With RMA, anything is possible. I have done straight resubs and gotten huge bumps in grade.

Yeah, I would expect that in mid-low grades. But there's an enormous difference between a 9.4 and 9.8, plus a PQ bump to boot? I'm hoping RMA can shed some more light on this.

For those that doubt...

IMG_4029.jpg

The only thing that changed was the label. Same book. Same condition.

One subbed directly, the other pre-screened at 9.8.

One's a $30-$40 label, the other sold for $160.

Your opinion simply doesn't matter. My opinion simply doesn't matter.

CGC's is the only one that matters.

What did it cost for the book, grading + postage both ways, pre-screen, grading + postage both ways, plus ebay/paypal fees? :shrug:

Book probably cost $10, as that's what I usually pay for these.

Initial grading was onsite, so $24, no postage.

Pre-screen is free if the book passes.

Grading and postage the second time was averaged to $20.

So.....$10+$24+20 = $54

Sold for $160

Minus $12.10 FVF fee, minus 50 cents listing fee, minus $4.94 Paypal fee = $142.46.

$142.46 - $54 = $88.46 profit.

Had I sold it as a 9.4 (as I STUPIDLY sold a Cerebus #21 9.6 and X-Men #117 9.6), I would have sold it for *about* $40 tops, which means I would have lost money even without the regrade.

So this was just a straight crack and resub from the 9.4 slab?

Yes. One of a dozen such books.

How long had it been in the 9.4 slab?

3 years, as the serial numbers indicate.

I have heard people mention sometimes that the way CGC encases these that some defects overtime may just kind of flatten themselves out being samwiched in the inside piece of plastic and then in the actual hard slab itself.

The benefit I have, of course, is that I'm a super anal picky grading freak of nature. As some members here can tell you, I can remember specific defects on books I haven't seen for months and somtimes years.

So, no, while there certainly IS significant pressure exerted within certain wells, there was no "pressable defect" on this particular book.

It was a 9.8 in March of 2008, and it was a 9.8 in May of 2011. It just got stuck in a 9.4 slab the first time by accident.

I don't know.

Yeah, I would expect that in mid-low grades. But there's an enormous difference between a 9.4 and 9.8, plus a PQ bump to boot? I'm hoping RMA can shed some more light on this.

:shrug:

What more light would you like to see? You have every detail of the situation already.

WWLA in March of 2008, onsite sub. Sat in slab until March-ish of this year, when I cracked it and sent it in for my last pre-screen.

I don't know.

:shrug:

What more light would you like to see? You have every detail of the situation already.

WWLA in March of 2008, onsite sub. Sat in slab until March-ish of this year, when I cracked it and sent it in for my last pre-screen.

I don't see any reason to doubt this.

With RMA, anything is possible.

hm

Why do you say that?

Could be fact.

Could be fiction.

Could have been a CPR to make you look good.

Could have been a straight re-sub. CGC has done this many times. This book could have been part of a 100 book 9.8 pre-screen. If the first book in the submission is closer to 10 compared to 9.8 the rest of the lot will get graded based on that touchstone. That could have been the case here.

I have had 9.0's get 9.6 on a straight resub.

Then again, I have pressed 8.5's into 9.4's.

Anything is possible.

I don't know.

It happens. I've had 2 books go from 9.4 to 9.8 on straight ss resub. And one 9.2 to 9.6.