• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT - Scariest Movie Moment

280 posts in this topic

I believe Full Metal Jacket is in the very short list of best movies ever made.

Another scary moment - the end of Friday the 13th, the original, when Jason comes out of the water. June 13, 1980 - that totally came out of left field. Interesting story - they tested the movie, and people loved it, but there was no way for a sequel, with the mom getting killed. The Jason scene was just tacked on at the end so there could be Part II (and III and IV and V and VI...)

Ok - I just added Ringu and Audtion to my Netflix list thumbsup2.gif

Okay... Ringu is awesome. I have nothing but nice things to say about that one.

Audition, on the other hand, is an EXCELLENT film... BUT contains the single most disturbing sequence I've ever seen. I can't explain it without spoiling it, but suffice it to say I'm no babe in the woods when it comes to graphic and exploitative cinema and this film positively horrified me. Not in a good way. In an "I wish I'd never rented that" way.

I know several people who feel the same way. I've just coaxed one of them to see another of director Miike's films, City of Lost Souls (starring the lovely Michelle Reis), by convincing him it was "safe."

So, renter beware thumbsup2.gif

Weirdest movie I ever saw was something they showed on the BBC around 1985. It was a late 60's piece called (I think) The Experiencer. I'm sure Nic Roeg was credited with some camerawork but I've never been able to find a reference to the film anywhere. It's about 3 hours long and aptly demonstrates what happens when you mix a film crew with a small budget and too much acid. I think there's only 1 character and nothing really happens, well nothing definable anyway, but I'd be intrigued to see it again just to remind myself how bizarrely [!@#%^&^] it was. Ring any bells with you?

Not at all. I'll pass the reference around.

That sounds oddly interesting.

Nic Roeg did direct one of my favorite "mood" horror pieces, Don't Look Now, so it's nice that he's been brought up here. That film definitely has it's frightening moments.

You mentioned Ringu which I've never seen, but from the reviews I've seen I must get round to it. Was this remade in the US recently or am I off track here?

Parts of Rinigu 1 and 2 were remade into the Dreamworks film, The Ring. They're working on an American sequel and a remake of the same director's Dark Water as we speak.

I jumped back so hard, I hurt myself (literally - I hit my elbow on the front end of the arm rest). I had to watch the rest of the movie in pain.

You got to learn to relax.... grin.gif

By the by, this is off topic... But I noticed that there are a good amount

of collectors on these threads from NC and I was seeing if anybody is going to the

Raleigh Comics Con this Sunday?

I think the only one I've never seen is Paths Of Glory, which many people reckon is his best. I like Kirk Douglas too, so I'll have to dig a copy out one day.

That's an excellent film. That and the equally early The Killing are amongst my favorite Kubrick movies.

I think the only one I've never seen is Paths Of Glory, which many people reckon is his best. I like Kirk Douglas too, so I'll have to dig a copy out one day.

That's an excellent film. That and the equally early The Killing are amongst my favorite Kubrick movies.

Speaking of Kirk Douglas and Stanley Kubrick

the early movie Spartacus was an awesome flick!

The ending was the saddest most gut wrenchin' of all time IMHO!

Phantasm also gave me the heebie-jeebies as a kid...something about that tall man totally screwed with my sense of good vs. evil...

Now, like Deathlok said, I wonder what the fuss was all about confused-smiley-013.gif

The Ring was probably the last movie to really give me a scare, especially the last part where she comes out of the TV on the guy....But the most startling scene is near the start of the film where the mother is remembering how she found her daughter after the 7 days were up.....

People have mentioned the Exorcist. A bunch of my friends and I went and saw the recent one, where they added scenes and re-released it...no [!@#%^&^], one of my friends was crying during the movie it freaked her out so much...

Not in the same league, but the Exorcist III , where the nurse is walking down the hall and the thing covered in black appears for a second chasing her with the hedgeclippers was unexpected...

Rip mentioned Prince of Darkness , which is one of my fave horror films of all time simply because John Carpenter is a huge Lovecraft fan and this captures HPL's 'there is something trying to breakthrough' philosophy well...also, In the Mouth of Madness.

Event Horizon really caught you off guard also, with its idea of just exactly where that ship had been for all those years.... 893whatthe.gif

27_laughing.gif Sorry! But the complete absence of any relation to the actual history is quite funny. Didn't Kubrick disown this one? If he didn't, he surely should have.

I did this one last year for a friend of mine whose a big Exorcist fan, after we heard that Paul Schrader of Taxi Driver fame would be scripting the lastest sequel....Exorcist 4......

X4poster.jpg

27_laughing.gif Sorry! But the complete absence of any relation to the actual history is quite funny. Didn't Kubrick disown this one? If he didn't, he surely should have.

I'm sure if you see it now it may seem a little campy compared to Gladiator,

but whether it is an actual historical moment or not I thought this was a classic and

I'm not alone bucko!

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/Spartacus-1019544/

Now that I've been dogged-out for liking Spartacus and The Shining...

I bet you guys would have a field day if I told you I love the early

Clint Eastwood Spagehtti Westerns too. boo.gif

Minutekev, I agree on that scene from Exorcist 3! I've described it to friends who haven't seen it. (Overall the movie was average.)

I'm not a big horror fan anymore. Growing up in the 70's, I loved the old Universal Horror movies and watching them on Sir Graves Ghastly, Sat. afternoons. (But they weren't scary.) I can't stand most "slasher" films, like Friday the 13th, etc.

I always thought the original "Alien" was scary. (I remember sneeking into the theaters to see it at age 13.) I can't say just one moment in the film did it over another. (In relation, "It, They Terror From Space" - I think that's the title from the 50's - was scary when I was little also.)

Ghost movies usually scare me. The Sixth Sense got me a couple of times. Like when the kid walks behind in the hallway.

I'll have to think of others. Good thread.

Don't worry Nerf, you are not off the mark......The Man with No Name rocks as does Spartacus! And my problems with the Shining are quite individual ones.........it has some great moments. But that scene at the bar is one of those where Nicholson chews up the scenery like a giant termite. He's just being Jack, and I never forget it for a minute. I think he ALWAYS plays Jack. He's great, he just doesn't have a lot of range. But I will always pay to see the guy!

Don't worry Nerf, you are not off the mark......The Man with No Name rocks as does Spartacus! And my problems with the Shining are quite individual ones.........it has some great moments. But that scene at the bar is one of those where Nicholson chews up the scenery like a giant termite. He's just being Jack, and I never forget it for a minute. I think he ALWAYS plays Jack. He's great, he just doesn't have a lot of range. But I will always pay to see the guy!

While I do own The Shining on DVD, and love the music, and that opening shot driving up to the Mansion .. is all classic Kubrick.

But after reading the book first, and seeing what actually made it to the movie.

I was disapointed.

And yes Red. I gotta agree.. it was a huge vehicle for Jack.. to be .. well crazy Jack..

and it was indeed either extreme overkill.. or brilliance..

But thats a fine line at best, and I cant imagine who could have done it better, cheesy or not.

And did anyone watch the made for T.V. version that came out a few years ago?

It was painfully bad.

OMG... really bad.

So it still has a place on my DVD list, but more because it was one of those films that I grew up with.

Kenny

of collectors on these threads from NC and I was seeing if anybody is going to the

I probably won't. I've got a catering job that day.

While I do own The Shining on DVD, and love the music, and that opening shot driving up to the Mansion .. is all classic Kubrick.

But after reading the book first, and seeing what actually made it to the movie.

I was disapointed.

And yes Red. I gotta agree.. it was a huge vehicle for Jack.. to be .. well crazy Jack..

and it was indeed either extreme overkill.. or brilliance..

But thats a fine line at best, and I cant imagine who could have done it better, cheesy or not.

And did anyone watch the made for T.V. version that came out a few years ago?

It was painfully bad.

OMG... really bad.

So it still has a place on my DVD list, but more because it was one of those films that I grew up with.

Kenny

Gimmee the Bat...

Wendy gimmee the bat...

Wennddddaaaay, Wennddddaaaay

Gimmee the bat so I can bash your head in in!! grin.gif

I probably won't. I've got a catering job that day.

I'll tell you what you missed. grin.gif

I'm sure if you see it now it may seem a little campy compared to Gladiator,

but whether it is an actual historical moment or not I thought this was a classic and

I'm not alone bucko!

Now that I've been dogged-out for liking Spartacus and The Shining...

I bet you guys would have a field day if I told you I love the early

Clint Eastwood Spagehtti Westerns too. boo.gif

Don't worry, I'll take Spartacus over Gladiator any day of the week!

I love Leone's movies, so no problems with Clint Eastwood. I prefer the 2 "Once Upon A Time..." films though and OUAT In America has my all time favourite opening sequence, with De Niro drifting first in and then out of an opium filled dream/recollection, whilst in the background, the intervals between the rings of a phone call (that is central to the films plot, but which only gets explained right towards the end) change to match De Niro's state of consciousness.

Hard to visualise, but amazing cinema.