• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic people on Frank Miller's rant

606 posts in this topic

Shakespeare, if he really wrote anything.

doh!

I heard he did not do the intitial writing, some one named Infantino and Giordano did all the outlines for the books. He came in later and added some of that English wording to give it pep.

Irreverent jackanape.

Wait, did I mix analogies?

Sorry, carry on.

Where were we?

Moore finds it amusing to behead people? or are bankers not people?

hm

It's known as Juvenalian satire. PC be damned. :sumo:

Kill everybody! :banana:

Fascinating that Maher, Letterman and Stewart can say some of the most wretched things about other people and then hold up the flag of humor.

Funny stuff indeed.

Stan Lee is still writing a pretty good Spider-man comic strip the last time I looked in the papers,and I loved Kirby and Ditko`s latter work. Same can`t be said for Steranko and Neal Adams. When was their last known exceptional work? hm

When Richard Nixon was the President. That`s kind of a long streak of mediocrity don`t you think? If your wondering why I am singling out Adams,Steranko and Miller it`s because they are suppose to be the gods of this medium. Well these gods haven`t done much in a long,long time. :cloud9:

We can continue to reminiscence all about Steranko`s Cap covers and how groundbreaking Dark Knight was in 1986 or we can start to promote new more relevant artists and writers who actually give a damn. Everytime I see Adams or Steranko they are sitting there trying to get some fan to pay $50 bucks for their autographs,maybe Steranko should come back to drawing comic books, and show us why he is considered a god. I think fans would respect that more than him trying to hawk money for autographs.

Frankly, I like this spirit. I agree that we should do our best to look to the present & the future.

Reference cannot be anchored in the future.

I’m referentially adrift.

I didn’t say I agreed with him point by point. I said I liked his spirit.

I’m adopting it as my new zeitgeist du jour. Live in the moment.

:banana:

Then throw away all of your books mister Present.

:baiting:

Stan Lee is still writing a pretty good Spider-man comic strip the last time I looked in the papers,and I loved Kirby and Ditko`s latter work. Same can`t be said for Steranko and Neal Adams. When was their last known exceptional work? hm

When Richard Nixon was the President. That`s kind of a long streak of mediocrity don`t you think? If your wondering why I am singling out Adams,Steranko and Miller it`s because they are suppose to be the gods of this medium. Well these gods haven`t done much in a long,long time. :cloud9:

We can continue to reminiscence all about Steranko`s Cap covers and how groundbreaking Dark Knight was in 1986 or we can start to promote new more relevant artists and writers who actually give a damn. Everytime I see Adams or Steranko they are sitting there trying to get some fan to pay $50 bucks for their autographs,maybe Steranko should come back to drawing comic books, and show us why he is considered a god. I think fans would respect that more than him trying to hawk money for autographs.

Frankly, I like this spirit. I agree that we should do our best to look to the present & the future.

Reference cannot be anchored in the future.

I’m referentially adrift.

I didn’t say I agreed with him point by point. I said I liked his spirit.

I’m adopting it as my new zeitgeist du jour. Live in the moment.

Then throw away all of your books mister Present.

:baiting:

My moments are enfolded & have little bits of connective tissue.

You can do that without denigrating what's come before....well, some of us can ;)

Adams and Steranko sign for free as far as I'm aware. Yes, Steranko will personalize it. Maybe there are charges for a sig series?

Oh, and Byrne can go in the used to be good now resting on laurels category as well.

Steranko's sig is my absolute fav.....it's art on itself

Adams and Steranko sign for free as far as I'm aware. Yes, Steranko will personalize it. Maybe there are charges for a sig series?

Oh, and Byrne can go in the used to be good now resting on laurels category as well.

I've never seen Steranko charge for his, but they've always been personalized.

Wrightson sits alone, unbothered by the cluster of fans. He rests, on his laurels and his time.

When was their last known exceptional work? hm

Everyone's opinion is relative - I don't think one has to create exceptional work every single time they set off to do something. They were groundbreaking in their work, and that gave them fame - but I do agree that more new artists have to be singled out for their work. And I believe they are. I don't consider Steranko or Miller to be the greatest illustrators in the history of pen and ink (that belongs to Kirby), but I do like most of their stuff and can appreciate the work. Maybe not the attitudes, but I can definitely appreciate the work.

As for asking for money for an autograph - if I'm not mistaken, I think that's an integral part of comic book collecting. :o

There's a great deal of weird sadism in superhero comics in general.

We're talking about grown men and women dressed in tights, prancing around the city and beating the out of each other.

Maybe professional wrestling is a bigger threat to comics than even video games.

What this all has to do with Salvador Dali is beyond me.

He is the poster boy for artists who achieve greatness early on in their career than fizzle into mediocrity the rest of the way.Kinda like Jim Steranko,Neal Adams and Frank Miller have.

1. What current work of Steranko's do you see as substandard? I realize it isn't held in as high esteem by comic nerds, but his quality of craftmanship doesn't appear to be diminished.

Is it because he chooses to not work exclusively in comics, a profession known for underpaying it's talent?

2. I always liked Frank Miller's art style on Sin City. I never saw it as a 'fizzle into mediocrity'. I know it's not 'Batman' or whatever, but I don't see how that equates to great vs mediocre.

And, are we talking mainstream acceptance/success/greatness? They did make movies of Sin City and 300, his own creator owned work... that's pretty successful...

Though not AS great to fanboys....

3. Is Adams art not as great because it's bad or because it can't live up to a perception of the past? Can any artist return to comics and live up to a perception of the past?

4. No wonder Ditko wants nothing to do with us....

Stan Lee is still writing a pretty good Spider-man comic strip the last time I looked in the papers,and I loved Kirby and Ditko`s latter work.

You think Stan Lee is a good writer? You loved Kirby and Ditko's later work? Devil Dinosaur? Speedball?

You're talking absolutes about opinion now.

Same can`t be said for Steranko and Neal Adams. When was their last known exceptional work? hm

From what I've seen, I'd still hire Steranko for any number of creative projects based upon his skill. As far as drawing a comic and living up to fanboy expectations, WHO CARES?

Look what it got Neal Adams...

So are we only talking comic book related work? Why?

Is it that important?

Say what you want about Dali, he's taught in virtually every educational system in the world. Jack Kirby isn't.

We can continue to reminiscence all about Steranko`s Cap covers and how groundbreaking Dark Knight was in 1986 or we can start to promote new more relevant artists and writers who actually give a damn.

Oh now Jim Steranko doesn't give a damn?

He's worked on and off in an industry for 40 years that is generally ignored as a true creative art form by the mainstream, an industry that professionally under appreciated him, under payed him, continues to reprint his material, shows no loyalty to, and, yet he still goes to conventions to spend time with his fans...

THAT'S not giving a damn?

Everytime I see Adams or Steranko they are sitting there trying to get some fan to pay $50 bucks for their autographs,maybe Steranko should come back to drawing comic books, and show us why he is considered a god. I think fans would respect that more than him trying to hawk money for autographs.

No they wouldn't.

No wonder Steve Ditko shuns us....

Wrightson sits alone, unbothered by the cluster of fans. He rests, on his laurels and his time.

Wrightson at least has an excuse. He suffered a fairly serious wrist injury some years back and he admitted it totally changed the way he was able to draw.

There's a great deal of weird sadism in superhero comics in general.

We're talking about grown men and women dressed in tights, prancing around the city and beating the out of each other.

Maybe professional wrestling is a bigger threat to comics than even video games.

What this all has to do with Salvador Dali is beyond me.

He is the poster boy for artists who achieve greatness early on in their career than fizzle into mediocrity the rest of the way.Kinda like Jim Steranko,Neal Adams and Frank Miller have.

1. What current work of Steranko's do you see as substandard? I realize it isn't held in as high esteem by comic nerds, but his quality of craftmanship doesn't appear to be diminished.

Is it because he chooses to not work exclusively in comics, a profession known for underpaying it's talent?

2. I always liked Frank Miller's art style on Sin City. I never saw it as a 'fizzle into mediocrity'. I know it's not 'Batman' or whatever, but I don't see how that equates to great vs mediocre.

And, are we talking mainstream acceptance/success/greatness? They did make movies of Sin City and 300, his own creator owned work... that's pretty successful...

Though not AS great to fanboys....

3. Is Adams art not as great because it's bad or because it can't live up to a perception of the past? Can any artist return to comics and live up to a perception of the past?

4. No wonder Ditko wants nothing to do with us....

Excellent post :applause:

Wrightson at least has an excuse. He suffered a fairly serious wrist injury some years back and he admitted it totally changed the way he was able to draw.

And I still stop by everytime, buy some art and get a signature.

As we talk about "what have you done lately", Wrightson is the perfect example of teaching our youth about his past greatness.

(worship)

We can continue to reminiscence all about Steranko`s Cap covers and how groundbreaking Dark Knight was in 1986 or we can start to promote new more relevant artists and writers who actually give a damn.

And who are these new artists that give a damn?

Leifield?

(shrug)

And I still stop by everytime, buy some art and get a signature.

As we talk about "what have you done lately", Wrightson is the perfect example of teaching our youth about his past greatness.

(worship)

Wrightson is an all time great. He could be doing Strawberry Shortcake and I would buy it. It would probably look pretty sweet too.

I know he light boxed photography a lot but I really liked Alex Maleev on DD.

Well next time you see him, tell him to make sure to maximize his financial potential right now because down the road, regardless of how great of work he's done, the publisher's and fans will see him as irrelevant.