• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic people on Frank Miller's rant

606 posts in this topic

The generative power of the artist or the poet has always fascinated occultists & the literary, among many others.

If Moore's sense of such things were completely limited to your description of his approach to magic, then that would be enough for it to qualify as satanic in the theology of many hundreds of millions of presently living Muslims, Catholics, & protestants. The numbers grow much larger if one includes the no longer living. Specific invocation of the devil by name isn't a prerequisite per wide ranging theologies.

I am willing to label as satanic any call for murder; even if that call is gallows humor & especially when that call is issued publicly by an adult, by a talented professional writer, by a person who places such emphasis on the importance of language that they cast it as magic, & by a careful, slow, & deliberate orator.

I'm just sayin' he & Miller got some sadism issues they may need to work through in their art a little more.

I hope they can produce stuff in the future of the supercool quality they produced decades ago. I'm always ready to give a great artist a chance. :)

They are both like Salvador Dalí and have burnt out and peaked. Similar to Neal Adams and Steranko as well. Great art at the beginning of their careers then a slow ride into mediocrity. :)

I wish most of the newer comicbook artists were as mediocre as Neal Adams. The guy is 70 and can still draw his arse off.

This isn`t about Neal Adams vs modern artists,but Neal Adams earlier into his career compared to his career now. Same as Miller,Moore,Steranko and Dali`s best work is considered better at the early part of their careers ,and not at the middle and end of their careers.

I think this happens with a lot of artist or creative types. In the beginning you have fresh ideas and a fresh approach to creating whatever it is you're driven to create. Then as time goes on and you gain some success you create, not because you want to, but because others want you to. I think there is a recognizable difference between sincere and insincere art, even if the technical ability of the artist remains relatively constant.

We can use Francis Ford Coppola,Woody Allen, and even George Lucas for movie examples as well.

Or almost any rock and roll artist.

The generative power of the artist or the poet has always fascinated occultists & the literary, among many others.

If Moore's sense of such things were completely limited to your description of his approach to magic, then that would be enough for it to qualify as satanic in the theology of many hundreds of millions of presently living Muslims, Catholics, & protestants. The numbers grow much larger if one includes the no longer living. Specific invocation of the devil by name isn't a prerequisite per wide ranging theologies.

I am willing to label as satanic any call for murder; even if that call is gallows humor & especially when that call is issued publicly by an adult, by a talented professional writer, by a person who places such emphasis on the importance of language that they cast it as magic, & by a careful, slow, & deliberate orator.

I'm just sayin' he & Miller got some sadism issues they may need to work through in their art a little more.

I hope they can produce stuff in the future of the supercool quality they produced decades ago. I'm always ready to give a great artist a chance. :)

They are both like Salvador Dalí and have burnt out and peaked. Similar to Neal Adams and Steranko as well. Great art at the beginning of their careers then a slow ride into mediocrity. :)

I wish most of the newer comicbook artists were as mediocre as Neal Adams. The guy is 70 and can still draw his arse off.

This isn`t about Neal Adams vs modern artists,but Neal Adams earlier into his career compared to his career now. Same as Miller,Moore,Steranko and Dali`s best work is considered better at the early part of their careers ,and not at the middle and end of their careers.

I think this happens with a lot of artist or creative types. In the beginning you have fresh ideas and a fresh approach to creating whatever it is you're driven to create. Then as time goes on and you gain some success you create, not because you want to, but because others want you to. I think there is a recognizable difference between sincere and insincere art, even if the technical ability of the artist remains relatively constant.

I think it's also possible that certain artists strike a chord with fans for whatever reasons and then evolve past whatever it was that attracted them in the first place. Does it mean the artists work is any better or worse? Not necessarily.

I think it's also possible that certain artists strike a chord with fans for whatever reasons and then evolve past whatever it was that attracted them in the first place. Does it mean the artists work is any better or worse? Not necessarily.

I think those artists are the ones who keep creating what they want to create, and their evolution happens because they maintain their drive and they pursue new ideas. I would classify work that continues to evolve as 'sincere' work, and alienating some of your original audience is a consequence of staying true to yourself.

There's an interesting comparison though, an artist whose work has become stagnant(Miller?) vs. an artist whose work has become less accessible(Moore?).

amazon has the Moore & Gaiman Miracleman trades.

Can any aficionado suggest which Moore MM trades I need to read to read his complete run on the title, please?

I believe any aficionado would suggest that you instead buy the individual issues (Miracleman 1-7,9-16) rather than the trades, which are of inferior quality.

There's a great deal of weird sadism in superhero comics in general.

We're talking about grown men and women dressed in tights, prancing around the city and beating the out of each other.

Maybe professional wrestling is a bigger threat to comics than even video games.

What this all has to do with Salvador Dali is beyond me.

We're talking about grown men and women dressed in tights, prancing around the city and beating the out of each other.

Maybe professional wrestling is a bigger threat to comics than even video games.

He is the poster boy for artists who achieve greatness early on in their career than fizzle into mediocrity the rest of the way.Kinda like Jim Steranko,Neal Adams and Frank Miller have.

He is the poster boy for artists who achieve greatness early on in their career than fizzle into mediocrity the rest of the way.Kinda like Jim Steranko,Neal Adams and Frank Miller have.

While you're at it, you might as well denigrate Stan Lee, Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko.

While you're at it, you might as well denigrate Stan Lee, Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko.

Albert Einstein, Shakespeare, Mozart....

Albert Einstein, Shakespeare, Mozart....

Hacks.

I wouldn't view that as mediocrity - I think they become masters of their trade, or experts in their field earlier than most and they spend the rest of their careers being consistently good at what they do. I don't think being regarded as a living master of your medium is exactly "fizzling out".

Shakespeare's career never declined.

The Tempest, for example, is considered by many to be one of his finest plays & is my personal favorite.

:banana:

Opinion.

Not allowed.

Shakespeare, if he really wrote anything.

doh!

I heard he did not do the intitial writing, some one named Infantino and Giordano did all the outlines for the books. He came in later and added some of that English wording to give it pep.

doh!

I heard he did not do the intitial writing, some one named Infantino and Giordano did all the outlines for the books. He came in later and added some of that English wording to give it pep.

Irreverent jackanape.

doh!

Irreverent jackanape.

Wait, did I mix analogies?

Sorry, carry on.

Where were we?

Moore finds it amusing to behead people? or are bankers not people?

hm

Stan Lee is still writing a pretty good Spider-man comic strip the last time I looked in the papers,and I loved Kirby and Ditko`s latter work. Same can`t be said for Steranko and Neal Adams. When was their last known exceptional work? hm

When Richard Nixon was the President. That`s kind of a long streak of mediocrity don`t you think? If your wondering why I am singling out Adams,Steranko and Miller it`s because they are suppose to be the gods of this medium. Well these gods haven`t done much in a long,long time. :cloud9:

We can continue to reminiscence all about Steranko`s Cap covers and how groundbreaking Dark Knight was in 1986 or we can start to promote new more relevant artists and writers who actually give a damn. Everytime I see Adams or Steranko they are sitting there trying to get some fan to pay $50 bucks for their autographs,maybe Steranko should come back to drawing comic books, and show us why he is considered a god. I think fans would respect that more than him trying to hawk money for autographs.

doh!

Irreverent jackanape.

Wait, did I mix analogies?

Sorry, carry on.

Where were we?

Moore finds it amusing to behead people? or are bankers not people?

hm

It's known as Juvenalian satire. PC be damned. :sumo:

Kill everybody! :banana:

Stan Lee is still writing a pretty good Spider-man comic strip the last time I looked in the papers,and I loved Kirby and Ditko`s latter work. Same can`t be said for Steranko and Neal Adams. When was their last known exceptional work? hm

When Richard Nixon was the President. That`s kind of a long streak of mediocrity don`t you think? If your wondering why I am singling out Adams,Steranko and Miller it`s because they are suppose to be the gods of this medium. Well these gods haven`t done much in a long,long time. :cloud9:

We can continue to reminiscence all about Steranko`s Cap covers and how groundbreaking Dark Knight was in 1986 or we can start to promote new more relevant artists and writers who actually give a damn. Everytime I see Adams or Steranko they are sitting there trying to get some fan to pay $50 bucks for their autographs,maybe Steranko should come back to drawing comic books, and show us why he is considered a god. I think fans would respect that more than him trying to hawk money for autographs.

Frankly, I like this spirit. I agree that we should do our best to look to the present & the future.

Frankly, I like this spirit. I agree that we should do our best to look to the present & the future.

Reference cannot be anchored in the future.

Reference cannot be anchored in the future.

I’m referentially adrift.

I didn’t say I agreed with him point by point. I said I liked his spirit.

I’m adopting it as my new zeitgeist du jour. Live in the moment.

:banana: