• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic people on Frank Miller's rant

606 posts in this topic

The thing with Alan Moore is he is such an inventive and eloquent writer he could write an essay on how to tie a shoelace and it would be impressive in some regard.

Their styles seem so vastly different, Moore being literary and Miller cinematic. I could see arguing Moore vs. Gaiman, or even Miller vs. Mignola. But debating Moore vs. Miller seems pointless, other than their works both use the comic book medium.

What a wonderful analogy!

(thumbs u

Back to the meditation on violence & Moore vs Miller.

Criticism against Miller in this thread & elsewhere has dogged his perceived exploitational use of violence. Is Miller an angry, mean-spirited fascist & such; or so it goes.

Moore doesn't seem to take these shots. Instead he is called a nutty warlock & so forth.

Dale, I believe, reminded the thread of the violence in Killing Joke. In retrospect now, that story seems to me to be a very Miller-esque yarn. Perhaps Moore was playing artistic opportunist as copycat closely on the heels of Miller's smash hit DKR?

Can we hear about Moore's Miracleman violence? It's rather notorious, isn't it?

Moore uses too many words.

Moore's words use him too much.

It is because he is in love with his message to the detriment of the story.

Well now, you see the money & self-promotion is in Batman. So you tell a dishonest Batman story to advance your message & career rather than an honest Tom Strong story which may promote your message but may not do much for your wealth & fame.

Anyway, was Moore's Miracleman violence gratuitous, profound, artistic, or obscene?

I haven't read it but I've seen some of the art. Is anyone willing to justify or explain the artistic or literary or social merits of the Miracleman violence?

My question is sincere. Please don't let my exchange with Dover mislead the thread into thinking I'm playing some sort of coy & ironic WC game of politics. I like Moore. I'm his fan. My question is just as it's written. There is no gotcha moment coming & his politics don't mean a damn thing to me.