• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic people on Frank Miller's rant

606 posts in this topic

Sad to say that Frank seems to be becoming a shadow of his former self very quickly. Alcohol is a powerful drug.

I think blaming his obvious issues on alcohol is ridiculous. He is a self absorbed, self gratifying, ignorant, attention whore who somehow has come to the opinion that since he used to be a good artist, and a decent writer, people should care what his opinion on various subjects might be.

This is the same problem with much of Hollywood. I could care less what Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins, Angelina Jolie or anyone else thinks about politics/current events. Normal average everyday people have nothing in common with them, and I have no idea why they feel that anyone cares what they think. As if being famous and wealthy makes you knowledgable. The fascination with Hollywood/celebrity is one of the biggest problems with this country.

Maybe Frank Miller goes in a different category. If he lived near ground zero on that day, maybe that changes a man.

I'm giving Frank Miller the benefit of the doubt. Even more so if he had personal friends murdered that day.

He can rant all he wants.

Everyone has excuses. I don't know what living near ground zero or losing friends in the Sept 11th attacks has to do with anything. There are thousands and thousands of people that would fall into those same circumstances who dealt with, and are still dealing with the tragedy. Yet they are not acting like Miller. They are not calling the occupy Wall Street movement murderers and rapists. This is about Frank Miller, no one else.

Some of the Wall Street crowd is completely corrupt. Fund managers have responsibility to those people whose money they are managing. Yet they seem to care nothing for anyone except themselves. I don't know if I agree with the movement or not, but I do understand the anger that many feel as greedy corporate brokers/bankers commit fraud on the American people, costing them millions, yet continue to pad their own bottom lines with more money than most of us can ever imagine..

I was only speaking about Frank Miller. And he didn't call OWS "murders", he called them "louts, thieves, and rapists, an unruly mob" (mirrored by police reports).

This is why I give Miller the benefit of the doubt. Quote:

FM: "3000 of my neighbors were murdered. My country was, utterly unprovoked, savagely attacked. I wish all those responsible for the Atrocity of 9/11 to burn in hell."

I'm not even going to pretend I can imagine what it was like. I can't.

I guess I am failing to see the link between a small group of radical jihadists and people who are protesting corporate greed.

The fascination with Hollywood/celebrity is one of the biggest problems with this country.

It's a problem but scarcely a major one, relatively speaking.

I disagree Andy. It is affecting our society and the values/work ethic of our young people in a major (and negative) way. As Sean said, people used to strive to "do", now they are content to follow (facebook) and observe. It is one reason why the USA is being passed by other countries in terms of productivity.

I'd say you can argue that the mass acceptance of credit and living off of credit is one reason why North American productivity has dropped. Easy money and the ability to pawn it off on the next generation.

Acceptance of poor roles models can be attributed to lack of a parent's influence in a child's life.

There are still plenty of people in the real world who want to do the best they can with whatever they undertake.

The fascination with Hollywood/celebrity is one of the biggest problems with this country.

It's a problem but scarcely a major one, relatively speaking.

I agree with Dale. It is pernicious, pervasive and subversive. Fame for fame's sake has become a disease in America. No longer do people care about doing great things. They just want to be famous like William Hung or Ruppert from Survivor. :(

I gotta agree with that. Doing great things takes effort and patience. Becoming famous in this day and age is (mostly) just pure luck of being in the right place at the right time - or knowing someone who believes in the virtues of cronyism.

Exactly - What have The Kardashians or Jersey Shore people done???? and yet they are two of the most watched cable shows and basically famous for doing nothing.

I've never watched them, and I doubt that that many people do. Agreed, fame and celebrity ain't what they used to be, and attention spans and aspirations have declined even more than in previous generations, but to say that perceived moral entropy, the absence of idealism and the all-pervasive shallowness that is currently engulfing society can be laid squarely at the door of a bunch of airheads is misguided.

They're a reflection of the malaise, and nothing more.

I agree with Dale.So many young people live in the now.I dont care about tomorrow.A beautiful 20 something works at the business next to me.She is adored by 15 tats.Wonders why she can only get a min wage job.

Wonder if she ever thinks about how that is going to look when she is 65. Or maybe she doesn't plan to live that long.

I am asked about my tattoos a lot by younger people in class. I tell my students that they need to get by on their own merits and let their work speak for themselves before they start adorning themselves with ink. I got my sleeves done when I was 35 - long enough to build a professional reputation and established my work. There will always be people who judge others only by their look and not their merits - but when you're 20, you've got no merits to tout, and first impressions are extremely important.

That, and in 20 years, if you want tattoos removed, you'll just slap on some cream and in a few weeks - gone.

Sad to say that Frank seems to be becoming a shadow of his former self very quickly. Alcohol is a powerful drug.

I think blaming his obvious issues on alcohol is ridiculous. He is a self absorbed, self gratifying, ignorant, attention whore who somehow has come to the opinion that since he used to be a good artist, and a decent writer, people should care what his opinion on various subjects might be.

This is the same problem with much of Hollywood. I could care less what Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins, Angelina Jolie or anyone else thinks about politics/current events. Normal average everyday people have nothing in common with them, and I have no idea why they feel that anyone cares what they think. As if being famous and wealthy makes you knowledgable. The fascination with Hollywood/celebrity is one of the biggest problems with this country.

Maybe Frank Miller goes in a different category. If he lived near ground zero on that day, maybe that changes a man.

I'm giving Frank Miller the benefit of the doubt. Even more so if he had personal friends murdered that day.

He can rant all he wants.

Everyone has excuses. I don't know what living near ground zero or losing friends in the Sept 11th attacks has to do with anything. There are thousands and thousands of people that would fall into those same circumstances who dealt with, and are still dealing with the tragedy. Yet they are not acting like Miller. They are not calling the occupy Wall Street movement murderers and rapists. This is about Frank Miller, no one else.

Some of the Wall Street crowd is completely corrupt. Fund managers have responsibility to those people whose money they are managing. Yet they seem to care nothing for anyone except themselves. I don't know if I agree with the movement or not, but I do understand the anger that many feel as greedy corporate brokers/bankers commit fraud on the American people, costing them millions, yet continue to pad their own bottom lines with more money than most of us can ever imagine..

I was only speaking about Frank Miller. And he didn't call OWS "murders", he called them "louts, thieves, and rapists, an unruly mob" (mirrored by police reports).

This is why I give Miller the benefit of the doubt. Quote:

FM: "3000 of my neighbors were murdered. My country was, utterly unprovoked, savagely attacked. I wish all those responsible for the Atrocity of 9/11 to burn in hell."

I'm not even going to pretend I can imagine what it was like. I can't.

I guess I am failing to see the link between a small group of radical jihadists and people who are protesting corporate greed.

Did you even read Miller's rant? (shrug)

I agree with Dale.So many young people live in the now.I dont care about tomorrow.A beautiful 20 something works at the business next to me.She is adored by 15 tats.Wonders why she can only get a min wage job.

Wonder if she ever thinks about how that is going to look when she is 65. Or maybe she doesn't plan to live that long.

I am asked about my tattoos a lot by younger people in class. I tell my students that they need to get by on their own merits and let their work speak for themselves before they start adorning themselves with ink. I got my sleeves done when I was 35 - long enough to build a professional reputation and established my work. There will always be people who judge others only by their look and not their merits - but when you're 20, you've got no merits to tout, and first impressions are extremely important.

That, and in 20 years, if you want tattoos removed, you'll just slap on some cream and in a few weeks - gone.

Well said.

I am anything but anti ink.

Just make sure you have a career before you cover your body with tats.

Louise found this quote and read it to me. It was hilarious because she knows me so well.

"Know, first, who you are, and then adorn yourself accordingly." Epictetus

At the age of 18 or 20 or even into my 20's I did not know who or what I really was.

Well spoken, Balls.

Takes a little patience and experience and that seems to be severely lacking.

I blame it on the Mayan Calendar, the speeding up of the vibration of the earth causing a sense of urgency and numerous other things.

:grin:

Free Speech is protected of course...

Not here, it's not.

In before the lock. :ohnoez:

Bah. This thread won't get locked. To mature of a topic, and no segway into boobie pictures.

no segway into boobie pictures

shuanasand-segway-photos-01292009-14-820x1067.jpg

Why is anyone still posting? This picture should end all posts in this thread.

Well said.

I am not anti ink, though I would never get a tattoo, and pray that my kids don't. However, I don't think it "necessarily" says anything about the character of the person. But I do think it is often an unwise choice made by people who don't realize the effects it could have on their lives.

I am not anti ink, though I would never get a tattoo, and pray that my kids don't. However, I don't think it "necessarily" says anything about the character of the person. But I do think it is often an unwise choice made by people who don't realize the effects it could have on their lives.

For me - it's about the art and the meaning. I don't have tattoos because I need to express myself. I express myself through my actions and the artwork I create. Tattoos are pieces of memorable art from other artists that are always with me, and they have meaning for me.

I didn't understand that viewpoint of tattoos until later in life - and thankfully, I didn't cover my arms with crappy tattoos before I figured it out.

This is the same problem with much of Hollywood. I could care less what Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins, Angelina Jolie or anyone else thinks about politics/current events. Normal average everyday people have nothing in common with them, and I have no idea why they feel that anyone cares what they think. As if being famous and wealthy makes you knowledgeable. The fascination with Hollywood/celebrity is one of the biggest problems with this country.

I have one question. If someone is famous does that mean they are not allowed to speak their mind? Isn't freedom of speech the right to voice your opinion regardless of who you are?

Yes people's fascination with them is bizarre but people have the right to speak their mind regardless of fame.

It's up to the individual to choose for themselves what to acknowledge

Well said.

When I bump into people sometimes the conversations turn to tats and piercings. When I tell them that I don't have any tats or piercings they're often shocked. I thought it was a very interesting reaction to have but it's very telling.

I have nothing against them. I thought about getting a tasteful tat but never really felt the need to. Piercings to me are a big turn off, I'm an active person and I'd hate to tear one out of my body.

Whatever floats people's boats though.

This place is a frickin' nuthouse! How does this thread differ from the one that was pulled a week or so ago about the exact same subject?

:rulez:

This thread has more meaningful and edifying content. :whatev:

This is the same problem with much of Hollywood. I could care less what Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins, Angelina Jolie or anyone else thinks about politics/current events. Normal average everyday people have nothing in common with them, and I have no idea why they feel that anyone cares what they think. As if being famous and wealthy makes you knowledgeable. The fascination with Hollywood/celebrity is one of the biggest problems with this country.

I have one question. If someone is famous does that mean they are not allowed to speak their mind? Isn't freedom of speech the right to voice your opinion regardless of who you are?

Yes people's fascination with them is bizarre but people have the right to speak their mind regardless of fame.

Where does he say they can't speak their mind? What Dale (and I) think is stupid is that anyone puts any credence in what celebrities say about anything other than what they are good at - entertaining. I love the acting craft, and I am a movie buff. So I revere a lot of these people for the fact that have been involved in movies that have brought joy to my life.

But I am not going to become a Scientologist because I like John Travolta in Pulp Fiction. And I am not going to start acting like Gary Busey because I have a seen Point Break 6 or 8 times.

What Dale (and I) think is stupid is that anyone puts any credence in what celebrities say about anything other than what they are good at - entertaining.

BoomHeadShot.gif

Where does he say they can't speak their mind? What Dale (and I) think is stupid is that anyone puts any credence in what celebrities say about anything other than what they are good at - entertaining. I love the acting craft, and I am a movie buff. So I revere a lot of these people for the fact that have been involved in movies that have brought joy to my life.

But I am not going to become a Scientologist because I like John Travolta in Pulp Fiction. And I am not going to start acting like Gary Busey because I have a seen Point Break 6 or 8 times.

I never said he said that. I just quoted his words because many times I have read people say why doesn't celebrity so and so shut up. I was not attacking what Dale said.

more of a statement.

Sorry if I am misunderstood.

For context, here's the actual FM rant:

"Everybody’s been too damn polite about this nonsense:

The “Occupy” movement, whether displaying itself on Wall Street or in the streets of Oakland (which has, with unspeakable cowardice, embraced it) is anything but an exercise of our blessed First Amendment. “Occupy” is nothing but a pack of louts, thieves, and rapists, an unruly mob, fed by Woodstock-era nostalgia and putrid false righteousness. These clowns can do nothing but harm America.

“Occupy” is nothing short of a clumsy, poorly-expressed attempt at anarchy, to the extent that the “movement” – HAH! Some “movement”, except if the word “bowel” is attached - is anything more than an ugly fashion statement by a bunch of iPhone, iPad wielding spoiled brats who should stop getting in the way of working people and find jobs for themselves.

This is no popular uprising. This is garbage. And goodness knows they’re spewing their garbage – both politically and physically – every which way they can find.

Wake up, pond scum. America is at war against a ruthless enemy.

Maybe, between bouts of self-pity and all the other tasty tidbits of narcissism you’ve been served up in your sheltered, comfy little worlds, you’ve heard terms like al-Qaeda and Islamicism.

And this enemy of mine — not of yours, apparently - must be getting a dark chuckle, if not an outright horselaugh - out of your vain, childish, self-destructive spectacle.

In the name of decency, go home to your parents, you losers. Go back to your mommas’ basements and play with your Lords Of Warcraft.

Or better yet, enlist for the real thing. Maybe our military could whip some of you into shape.

They might not let you babies keep your iPhones, though. Try to soldier on.

Schmucks.

FM"

It's seems to be more about OWS and 9/11. Where Miller was living at the time. Obviously it's at the fore of his art, his rants, and his life. I'm not going to sit in judgment of that. Obviously there's some personal trauma being expressed.