• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic people on Frank Miller's rant

606 posts in this topic

This is the same problem with much of Hollywood. I could care less what Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins, Angelina Jolie or anyone else thinks about politics/current events. Normal average everyday people have nothing in common with them, and I have no idea why they feel that anyone cares what they think. As if being famous and wealthy makes you knowledgeable. The fascination with Hollywood/celebrity is one of the biggest problems with this country.

I have one question. If someone is famous does that mean they are not allowed to speak their mind? Isn't freedom of speech the right to voice your opinion regardless of who you are?

Yes people's fascination with them is bizarre but people have the right to speak their mind regardless of fame.

It's up to the individual to choose for themselves what to acknowledge

Never said otherwise. My point (quote actually) is why does anyone care what they think.

Because they do.

Fascination with Hollywood/celebrity has never changed. The fascination has always been there. There just now seems to be non stop coverage of them because society, in general, wants to know everything about them.

At some point most people grow tired of this fascination (age) but there are more people (teenagers) to take their place everyday. Disliking celebrity and the famous for no reason is all well and good but stating that it is "one of the biggest problems with this country: is a bit of hyperbole. :foryou:

Part of the problem is the neverending news cycle, the abundance of chanels or outlets that spew out garbage in order to make revenue on advertising and the like. We are a hypersensualized society.... sucking up media in evergrowing and abundant quantities..... Dont just blame hollywood.... blame everybody and are evergrowing blackhole souls that need to be filled with everything imaginable. Remember the old lady in the labyrinth that collected stuff? Thats us.... generalized speaking of course....

I don't think it's hyperbole at all. You have both illustrated the problems, and one can see where society is going with it. Constant inundation with other people's lives give solace when they lack a sense of achievement in their own. And it's happening faster than like situations in the past.

The problems lie with the individual and not with society imo. Not to say there aren't exceptions(mental problems, etc.) but in general. If being inundated with other people's lives has an impact on my life, than that is a "me" problem.

Well sure, most of all societies problems have to be dealt with on a personal level. Morality, lack of work ethic, living beyond ones means, etc are all societal problems which have to be dealt with on a personal level. But you have to address it on a public level to being private change.

I see what you are saying.

I just don't see that the excesses and stupidity of celebrities and the famous for nothing are a big problem. I think the majority of people realize this but we are still entertained by the stupidity and excess.

I just don't see that the excesses and stupidity of celebrities and the famous for nothing are a big problem. I think the majority of people realize this but we are still entertained by the stupidity and excess.

There might be a trend with more exposure to the stupidity and excess which I believe is perpetuated when kids, who don't have a balance or a check against it (for whatever reason...ie TV is the babysitter) want to emulate it.

We (Lou and I) also very rarely watch television.

Walking Dead on Sundays, Lou likes the Cake reality show that she might catch one night a week, maybe a couple of movies a week to unwind and give the mind a rest. That's about it for us.

Our kids get limited access to the stupidity and excess and I personally think it helps balance their perception and keep it in it's place.

We need more celebrity police on the streets...

snooki.jpg

I'll assume that's the Fashion Police. :eek:

I dunno, but I like to fantasize that one of them took their gun out and pistol-whipped Snooki so hard, she was stuck with that face she's making.

I dunno, but I like to fantasize that one of them took their gun out and pistol-whipped Snooki so hard, she was stuck with that face she's making.

:eek:

YEA BROTHA! Thats what I am talking bout'! Pistol whip city..... Snooki wants smoosh smoosh.... WHACK! :makepoint:

:eek:

YEA BROTHA! Thats what I am talking bout'! Pistol whip city..... Snooki wants smoosh smoosh.... WHACK! :makepoint:

:roflmao: One of the best South Parks ever! :banana:

There might be a trend with more exposure to the stupidity and excess which I believe is perpetuated when kids, who don't have a balance or a check against it (for whatever reason...ie TV is the babysitter) want to emulate it.

Walking Dead on Sundays, Lou likes the Cake reality show that she might catch one night a week, maybe a couple of movies a week to unwind and give the mind a rest. That's about it for us.

Our kids get limited access to the stupidity and excess and I personally think it helps balance their perception and keep it in it's place.

Sure. As parents, we are the balance until they are adults. Then they need to find the balance on their own.

My wife and I watch a decent amount of TV. Walking Dead, Hell on Wheels, Big Bang Theory. The Food Network has a lot of shows we watch as well. Chopped, Next Iron Chef, Diners Drive Ins and Dives.

The Food Network has made me fatter. Maybe I should start watching a loop of infomercials for P90x. hm

That Cake reality show is destroying society!!!

snooki.jpg

The 'sunglasses askew' really makes this photo.

That Cake reality show is destroying society!!!

I honestly can't stand that show. The super-hyperbolic drama of if a cake doesn't turn out well just doesn't keep me on the edge of my seat the way I thought it would.

lol

snooki.jpg

Nobody rocks the Charles Nelson Reilly glasses but Charles Nelson Reilly. :sumo:

snooki.jpg

Nobody rocks the Charles Nelson Reilly glasses but Charles Nelson Reilly. :sumo:

charles-nelson-reilly1.jpg

Verily.

snooki.jpg

Verily.

Holy Cow!

snooki.jpg

Verily.

Holy Cow!

tumblr_ljib6ofEee1qbz490o4_400.jpg

snooki.jpg

Verily.

Holy Cow!

Is he still alive?

And did he ever do anything other than all the Game Shows in the late 70's and early 80's?

Sad to say that Frank seems to be becoming a shadow of his former self very quickly. Alcohol is a powerful drug.

As if being famous and wealthy makes you knowledgable. The fascination with Hollywood/celebrity is one of the biggest problems with this country.

Are you saying that one cannot be both famous and knowledgeable? If so, I was unaware that the two are mutually exclusive. (shrug)