• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic people on Frank Miller's rant

606 posts in this topic

The fascination with Hollywood/celebrity is one of the biggest problems with this country.

It's a problem but scarcely a major one, relatively speaking.

I disagree Andy. It is affecting our society and the values/work ethic of our young people in a major (and negative) way. As Sean said, people used to strive to "do", now they are content to follow (facebook) and observe. It is one reason why the USA is being passed by other countries in terms of productivity.

You could throw in our fascination with professional sports as well. For instance, I believe Alex Rodriguez pulls in roughly $14k per inning played, over $100k per game. Talk about disconnected with the regular folk. Meanwhile, I am content to sit on my arse, drink beer, eat nachos and be a sports "follower" nearly every day of the week. :grin:

Sad to say that Frank seems to be becoming a shadow of his former self very quickly. Alcohol is a powerful drug.

As if being famous and wealthy makes you knowledgable. The fascination with Hollywood/celebrity is one of the biggest problems with this country.

Are you saying that one cannot be both famous and knowledgeable? If so, I was unaware that the two are mutually exclusive. (shrug)

Read what you quoted and judge for yourself if that is what I was saying. Unless you are just trying to twist it to make your point.. :baiting:

The fascination with Hollywood/celebrity is one of the biggest problems with this country.

It's a problem but scarcely a major one, relatively speaking.

I disagree Andy. It is affecting our society and the values/work ethic of our young people in a major (and negative) way. As Sean said, people used to strive to "do", now they are content to follow (facebook) and observe. It is one reason why the USA is being passed by other countries in terms of productivity.

You could throw in our fascination with professional sports as well. For instance, I believe Alex Rodriguez pulls in roughly $14k per inning played, over $100k per game. Talk about disconnected with the regular folk. Meanwhile, I am content to sit on my arse, drink beer, eat nachos and be a sports "follower" nearly every day of the week. :grin:

We are not really talking about how much money someone earns in their profession though. I don't know how much Tim Robbins for example makes per movie, but I have no problem with whatever it is. It is his profession, and his value is determined by market. Just as Arods was. Is it an insane amount of money, sure?

The analogy I would make is that if Arod or Jeter start talking about politics, or social commentary, or whatever that they have no expertise in, people should give it no more weight than any other person off the street. They have every right to have and express and opinion, but what they say should be taken with a grain of salt. It should be judged on merit, not on the celebrity of the person speaking.

We need more celebrity police on the streets...

snooki.jpg

I'll assume that's the Fashion Police. :eek:

I dunno, but I like to fantasize that one of them took their gun out and pistol-whipped Snooki so hard, she was stuck with that face she's making.

The 'sunglasses askew' really makes this photo.

Nobody rocks the Charles Nelson Reilly glasses but Charles Nelson Reilly. :sumo:

charles-nelson-reilly1.jpg

Verily.

Holy Cow!

Is he still alive?

And did he ever do anything other than all the Game Shows in the late 70's and early 80's?

Sadly he passed away a few years ago.

He was in several movies and TV shows in the '60s. Musicals, variety shows, sitcoms, he was frickin Hoodoo in Lidsville, then went on to Match Game in the '70s and sealed my lifelong love with him. :luhv:

He was in several movies and TV shows in the '60s. Musicals, variety shows, sitcoms, he was frickin Hoodoo in Lidsville, then went on to Match Game in the '70s and sealed my lifelong love with him. :luhv:

I really only knew him from the game shows. I think I saw him in some of the Dean Martin roasts?

He was funny.

Frank Miller again?

Hasn't the Boards gotten over these hurt feelings?

No. :cry:

:sorry:

Handkerchief?

Frank Miller's human! Why can't people leave him alone???

chris-crocker-cries.jpg

That's it. I'm sending Frank Miller a Vermont Teddy Bear.

I really only knew him from the game shows. I think I saw him in some of the Dean Martin roasts?

He was funny.

Can we ever really know anybody who hides behind such spectacles?

He was funny.

Who cares? CNR is comedic legend. :cloud9:

He was funny.

deepthoughts.png

Why would the "fascination" with anything, be it Hollywood/celebrity, whatever be one of the biggest problems with this country?

I must give people a little more credit by assuming some of them just like to watch train wrecks. Not that they want to wreck the train themselves.

How people are entertained has little to do with our problems.

Hasn't the Boards gotten over these hurt feelings?

I feel like Llandru, about to explode . . . does not compute.

I feel like the Red Hour.

3 hours and 45 minutes

Got a place to sleep it off yet?