• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic people on Frank Miller's rant

606 posts in this topic

The fascination with Hollywood/celebrity is one of the biggest problems with this country.

It's a problem but scarcely a major one, relatively speaking.

I disagree Andy. It is affecting our society and the values/work ethic of our young people in a major (and negative) way. As Sean said, people used to strive to "do", now they are content to follow (facebook) and observe. It is one reason why the USA is being passed by other countries in terms of productivity.

I'd say you can argue that the mass acceptance of credit and living off of credit is one reason why North American productivity has dropped. Easy money and the ability to pawn it off on the next generation.

Acceptance of poor roles models can be attributed to lack of a parent's influence in a child's life.There are still plenty of people in the real world who want to do the best they can with whatever they undertake.

another +1.

Sad to say that Frank seems to be becoming a shadow of his former self very quickly. Alcohol is a powerful drug.

I think blaming his obvious issues on alcohol is ridiculous. He is a self absorbed, self gratifying, ignorant, attention whore who somehow has come to the opinion that since he used to be a good artist, and a decent writer, people should care what his opinion on various subjects might be.

This is the same problem with much of Hollywood. I could care less what Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins, Angelina Jolie or anyone else thinks about politics/current events. Normal average everyday people have nothing in common with them, and I have no idea why they feel that anyone cares what they think. As if being famous and wealthy makes you knowledgable. The fascination with Hollywood/celebrity is one of the biggest problems with this country.

+1

If this group includes Pro Athletes/Pro musicians then I am with you. Can't stand the fascinations and obsessions society has with "celebrities".

Interesting thread. Wonder if will still be here in the morning? ;)

As long as it stay civil, it might.

...so, no. It won't be here.

We should quit our jobs and stay in this thread all day everyday. No showers, swamp azz, gasoline in Poland Spring bottles, hairy underarms, Tevas, Annie DiFranco, organic granola, our Berkley degrees, beat up copy of Communist Manifesto, friendship bracelet, dreadlocks, ponchos, Chai tea, nano micro mini brewery IPA.

Or we can just kill ourselves. (shrug)

I'll choose the latter.

Sad to say that Frank seems to be becoming a shadow of his former self very quickly. Alcohol is a powerful drug.

I think blaming his obvious issues on alcohol is ridiculous. He is a self absorbed, self gratifying, ignorant, attention whore who somehow has come to the opinion that since he used to be a good artist, and a decent writer, people should care what his opinion on various subjects might be.

This is the same problem with much of Hollywood. I could care less what Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins, Angelina Jolie or anyone else thinks about politics/current events. Normal average everyday people have nothing in common with them, and I have no idea why they feel that anyone cares what they think. As if being famous and wealthy makes you knowledgable. The fascination with Hollywood/celebrity is one of the biggest problems with this country.

+1

If this group includes Pro Athletes/Pro musicians then I am with you. Can't stand the fascinations and obsessions society has with "celebrities".

Come on now. Come clean about the Justin Bieber tattoo. :baiting:

justin-bieber-new-tattoo-biebers-tattoos.jpg

Next time you're in line at the grocery store, take a gander at the magazines displayed at the checkout. Time? National Geographic? Nope. Globe, Star, and any number of other rags are predominantly displayed. The unfortunate reality is that a large portion of the population in this country absorbs celebrity and is vicariously addicted to it.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but it seems there was once a day when to get on the cover of these rags you had to actually be a celebrity on the level of say Michael Jackson or Liz Taylor, not just somebody from a reality show most people have never heard of.

The analogy I would make is that if Arod or Jeter start talking about politics, or social commentary, or whatever that they have no expertise in, people should give it no more weight than any other person off the street. They have every right to have and express and opinion, but what they say should be taken with a grain of salt. It should be judged on merit, not on the celebrity of the person speaking.

This is the same problem with much of Hollywood. I could care less what Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins, Angelina Jolie or anyone else thinks about politics/current events. Normal average everyday people have nothing in common with them, and I have no idea why they feel that anyone cares what they think. As if being famous and wealthy makes you knowledgable.

I guess the point I am trying to make is how do you judge what somebody does or doesn't know, especially when you don't even know that person? You mentioned Tim Robbins for instance. How do you know that Tim Robbins knows or doesn't know anything about politics for instance? For all I know Derek Jeter could have a degree in political science or economics. (shrug) I guess it seems to me, based on your earlier post, that you seem to have painted these individuals as famous first, and knowledgeable or lacking thereof people, second.

You don't have to care what George Clooney thinks about politics. But the fact that he's famous doesn't preclude him from knowing anything. Whether or not we care about anything he has to say has no bearing on whether or not that person is qualified to have an opinion. Certainly they're entitled to their opinion. Obviously an expert on the subject matter should be taken more seriously. I just think you sort of slighted a slew of people with no cause other than they're famous, and with that, the presumption that they aren't versed on a particular subject or field.

If I'm misinterpreting what you've said, I apologize. But that's how I am understanding what you've written. :foryou:

The unfortunate reality is that a large portion of the population in this country absorbs celebrity and is vicariously addicted to it.

Let's go one step further--sadly, a good portion of this country's populace models their behaviors and values on these people.

. However, I've experienced this sort of disconnect within academia too.

Good for you--there's nothing worse than alleged intellectuals who pretend to know what's best for "regular" people who, they believe, can't put together a cogent political or social thought.

And for those of you ready to dismiss Miller's views as the product of trauma, mental illness, or alcoholism, that too is the ultimate in arrogance. You may not agree w/ him, but he has every bit the right to voice his opinion as those supporting OWS.

The analogy I would make is that if Arod or Jeter start talking about politics, or social commentary, or whatever that they have no expertise in, people should give it no more weight than any other person off the street. They have every right to have and express and opinion, but what they say should be taken with a grain of salt. It should be judged on merit, not on the celebrity of the person speaking.

This is the same problem with much of Hollywood. I could care less what Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins, Angelina Jolie or anyone else thinks about politics/current events. Normal average everyday people have nothing in common with them, and I have no idea why they feel that anyone cares what they think. As if being famous and wealthy makes you knowledgable.

I guess the point I am trying to make is how do you judge what somebody does or doesn't know, especially when you don't even know that person? You mentioned Tim Robbins for instance. How do you know that Tim Robbins knows or doesn't know anything about politics for instance? For all I know Derek Jeter could have a degree in political science or economics. (shrug) I guess it seems to me, based on your earlier post, that you seem to have painted these individuals as famous first, and knowledgeable or lacking thereof people, second.

You don't have to care what George Clooney thinks about politics. But the fact that he's famous doesn't preclude him from knowing anything. Whether or not we care about anything he has to say has no bearing on whether or not that person is qualified to have an opinion. Certainly they're entitled to their opinion. Obviously an expert on the subject matter should be taken more seriously. I just think you sort of slighted a slew of people with no cause other than they're famous, and with that, the presumption that they aren't versed on a particular subject or field.

If I'm misinterpreting what you've said, I apologize. But that's how I am understanding what you've written. :foryou:

For that matter, why judge the person who is interested in hearing what celebrities have to say? Though they may initially be interested in listening solely because of the speakers celebrity, why assume that the listener would not vett what the celebrity had to say through their own moral compass?

Of course there are easily swayed immature thinkers in all walks, who might latch onto their "idols" message. But why bother picking on celebrities when there are politicians, sports figures, religious leaders, corporate heads, academia and other "elites" who have similar groupies?

Also there will be plenty of people who wholeheartedly support everything the speaker has to say, simply because they have the same opinions (horror upon horrors).