• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic people on Frank Miller's rant

606 posts in this topic

Why would the "fascination" with anything, be it Hollywood/celebrity, whatever be one of the biggest problems with this country?

I must give people a little more credit by assuming some of them just like to watch train wrecks. Not that they want to wreck the train themselves.

How people are entertained has little to do with our problems.

If I created propaganda for a living, this is the type of thing that would perk my ears up.

This is the same problem with much of Hollywood. I could care less what Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins, Angelina Jolie or anyone else thinks about politics/current events. Normal average everyday people have nothing in common with them, and I have no idea why they feel that anyone cares what they think. As if being famous and wealthy makes you knowledgeable. The fascination with Hollywood/celebrity is one of the biggest problems with this country.

I have one question. If someone is famous does that mean they are not allowed to speak their mind? Isn't freedom of speech the right to voice your opinion regardless of who you are?

Yes people's fascination with them is bizarre but people have the right to speak their mind regardless of fame.

It's up to the individual to choose for themselves what to acknowledge

Never said otherwise. My point (quote actually) is why does anyone care what they think.

Because they do.

Fascination with Hollywood/celebrity has never changed. The fascination has always been there. There just now seems to be non stop coverage of them because society, in general, wants to know everything about them.

At some point most people grow tired of this fascination (age) but there are more people (teenagers) to take their place everyday. Disliking celebrity and the famous for no reason is all well and good but stating that it is "one of the biggest problems with this country: is a bit of hyperbole. :foryou:

I am sorry, but I disagree with this post.

The reason why anyone should care is because they do?

And I don't dislike celebrity. I just don't worship it. And I don't have respect for it, in and of itself. And to say it is for no reason, well that is a completely different story.

The fact is, I have nothing in common with a bunch of celebities who are millionaires, make sex tapes, spend years alternating between partying and rehab, get divorced every 90 days, cheating on their spouses in between. I have no respect for any of this. Nor do I wish for any of it.

Next time you're in line at the grocery store, take a gander at the magazines displayed at the checkout. Time? National Geographic? Nope. Globe, Star, and any number of other rags are predominantly displayed. The unfortunate reality is that a large portion of the population in this country absorbs celebrity and is vicariously addicted to it.

Frank Miller goes is (of course) entitled to say what he likes. I don't assume to know the man personally or what issues he may or may not have.

As for celebrities, I agree that the majority of them have a disconnect with the real world because they simply do not experience it in the way the average person does - at least they don't anymore. However, I've experienced this sort of disconnect within academia too.

We need more celebrity police on the streets...

snooki.jpg

I'll assume that's the Fashion Police. :eek:

I dunno, but I like to fantasize that one of them took their gun out and pistol-whipped Snooki so hard, she was stuck with that face she's making.

The 'sunglasses askew' really makes this photo.

Nobody rocks the Charles Nelson Reilly glasses but Charles Nelson Reilly. :sumo:

charles-nelson-reilly1.jpg

Verily.

Holy Cow!

Is he still alive?

And did he ever do anything other than all the Game Shows in the late 70's and early 80's?

Sadly he passed away a few years ago.

He was in several movies and TV shows in the '60s. Musicals, variety shows, sitcoms, he was frickin Hoodoo in Lidsville, then went on to Match Game in the '70s and sealed my lifelong love with him. :luhv:

I still enjoy watching those old Match Game episodes on the Game Show Network.

We need more celebrity police on the streets...

snooki.jpg

I'll assume that's the Fashion Police. :eek:

I dunno, but I like to fantasize that one of them took their gun out and pistol-whipped Snooki so hard, she was stuck with that face she's making.

The 'sunglasses askew' really makes this photo.

Nobody rocks the Charles Nelson Reilly glasses but Charles Nelson Reilly. :sumo:

charles-nelson-reilly1.jpg

Verily.

Holy Cow!

Is he still alive?

And did he ever do anything other than all the Game Shows in the late 70's and early 80's?

Sadly he passed away a few years ago.

He was in several movies and TV shows in the '60s. Musicals, variety shows, sitcoms, he was frickin Hoodoo in Lidsville, then went on to Match Game in the '70s and sealed my lifelong love with him. :luhv:

Jose Chung's From Outer Space did it for me. Eternal CNR fan here. I would have killed to meet him in person.

True. But the more time they spend being entertained, the less time they have for personal discovery, achievement or growth. Have you ever seen 'Idiocracy'? We are one reality show away from 'Ow, My Balls'

True. But the more time they spend being entertained, the less time they have for personal discovery, achievement or growth. Have you ever seen 'Idiocracy'? We are one reality show away from 'Ow, My Balls'

Go away. Batin.

Go away. Batin.

Every person on Planet Earth should be required to view that movie.

I think blaming his obvious issues on alcohol is ridiculous. He is a self absorbed, self gratifying, ignorant, attention whore who somehow has come to the opinion that since he used to be a good artist, and a decent writer, people should care what his opinion on various subjects might be.

This is the same problem with much of Hollywood. I could care less what Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins, Angelina Jolie or anyone else thinks about politics/current events. Normal average everyday people have nothing in common with them, and I have no idea why they feel that anyone cares what they think. As if being famous and wealthy makes you knowledgable. The fascination with Hollywood/celebrity is one of the biggest problems with this country.

(thumbs u In a nutshell.

Go away. Batin.

Agreed.

Go away. Batin.

Agreed.

So the best way to understand that we have less time for personal discovery, achievement and growth because of our preoccupation with entertainment is to...

watch a movie on DVD?

Go away. Batin.

Agreed.

So the best way to understand that we have less time for personal discovery, achievement and growth because of our preoccupation with entertainment is to...

watch a movie on DVD?

If you have ever seen Idiocracy, you would see it's not a movie, it's a documentary on the future of mankind. Your life will change forever after watching it.

Why does Miller ranting about an obnoxious movement, that has become a movement about having a movement, twist everyone's tits? He didn't tattoo it on a baby, he wrote it on a stupid blog. (shrug)

Also, I love reality T.V. and don't need to read Goethe or Thoreau every second to stimulate my mind. Sometimes I enjoy watching Steven Segal take down a perp or Kim Kardashian act.

Why would the "fascination" with anything, be it Hollywood/celebrity, whatever be one of the biggest problems with this country?

I must give people a little more credit by assuming some of them just like to watch train wrecks. Not that they want to wreck the train themselves.

If I created propaganda for a living, this is the type of thing that would perk my ears up.

By propaganda do you mean advertising? mass media? political spin?

Go away. Batin.

Agreed.

watch a movie on DVD?

If you have ever seen Idiocracy, you would see it's not a movie, it's a documentary on the future of mankind. Your life will change forever after watching it.

Indeed it will :eek:

Go away. Batin.

Agreed.

watch a movie on DVD?

1b9ae4ea.jpg

What I really want to know is who cares what Wes Huffor and Ryan Sohmer (whoever the hell they are) have to say about Frank Miller? Or is it indeed turtles all the way down? Tweet on, Macduff!

Well said.

Of course, why I cared enough to reply to your concern is beyond me.

:whee:

Go away. Batin.

Agreed.

watch a movie on DVD?

lol

Sad to say that Frank seems to be becoming a shadow of his former self very quickly. Alcohol is a powerful drug.

I think blaming his obvious issues on alcohol is ridiculous. He is a self absorbed, self gratifying, ignorant, attention whore who somehow has come to the opinion that since he used to be a good artist, and a decent writer, people should care what his opinion on various subjects might be.

This is the same problem with much of Hollywood. I could care less what Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins, Angelina Jolie or anyone else thinks about politics/current events. Normal average everyday people have nothing in common with them, and I have no idea why they feel that anyone cares what they think. As if being famous and wealthy makes you knowledgable. The fascination with Hollywood/celebrity is one of the biggest problems with this country.

+1

I'd like Frank Miller no matter how much DK2 stunk or how little of his work I've read since the '80's.

As for the Boards' feelings recently smarting from Millers' blog, perhaps a few more grousing threads like this will lave & salve the sorest spots. I understand the flesh is tender right now. There, there. Kiss & blow, kiss & blow. It'll all be better soon, promise.