• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT - Best Sci Fi Movie

128 posts in this topic

When this thread is done, we should start one on SF films, which are much more fun.

Thanks gpcove for the idea! thumbsup2.gif

My pick: Aliens! Although the first one was great, this one had it all! Commandos, aliens, Newt (not you NewtSampson! grin.gif) and Ripley!

Best moment: Ripley in that hydraulic suit at the end screaming: "Get away from her you [!@#%^&^]!" thumbsup2.gif

Too busy to go too far now, but let's start with...

Recent movies

Bladerunner

Strange Days

Fifth Element

Total Recall

But for me, the best SF was in the early 70's

Soylent Green

Omega Man

Ultimate Warrior

even Westworld

I've probably forgotten some really obvious ones though, so fill me in.

Or 2001, Day the Earth Stood Still and Mad Max 2 (not strictly speaking sci-fi, more a post-apocalypse western ) ? foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

I actually liked Beyond Thunderdome out of all the Mad Max movies... confused-smiley-013.gif (Although, the scenes with the pig sh.it wasnt the best! tongue.gif)

Dark City

Greatly under-rated movie! thumbsup2.gif

Dark City

Greatly under-rated movie! thumbsup2.gif

Also underrated: Silent Running with Bruce Dern. Dated but good (and still relevant).

I didnt catch the movie...but I remember the song from it.

Forgot about Logan's Run! foreheadslap.gif

And the Time Machine! thumbsup2.gif

Also underrated: Silent Running with Bruce Dern. Dated but good (and still relevant).

Good call...I was about to add that one to the list when I saw your post smile.gif The fact that the little droids were named Huey, Dewey and Louie also provides a funnybook tie-in !

Others that I love that haven't been mentioned thus far:

- A Boy and His Dog

- Cherry 2000

- Clockwork Orange (if you consider this sci-fi, which I do)

- Incredible Shrinking Man (dated by today's standards, but pretty cool back in the day)

- King Kong (the effects are still awesome, and were inspirational to Peter Jackson in his youth)

- Planet of the Apes (the original) (mind-blowing the first time you see it)

- Close Encounters (has anyone mentioned this one yet?)

- Zardozz (somewhat long, but pretty cool and different)

agree with Forbidden Planet, Star wars and to a lesser extent terminator, T-2 and Alien. but i think my all time favorite is Howard Hawkes, Thing from another world. i watched it again on Laserdisc two weeks ago and it still kicks .... grin.gif

also loved War of the worlds, the Day the earth stood still, and Invasion of the body snatchers.......... 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif