• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

my newb questions..

29 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

Firstly, I am really pleased to have found these forums, there's a lot of great stuff in here. I'm still reading through a lot of stuff, as well as trying to learn the nuances of grading!! I have a few basic questions related to comic storage, that I hope you guys can help me with.

1) Storage in plastic boxes. Is this a no-no? I see that there are long boxes made from card available. Do plastic boxes give off chemicals over time that deteriorate comics / paper?

2) Tape on bags - I am perhaps slightly neurotic about this...!!! lol - after a bad experience - you can guess - and so I remove tape from bags and tuck in the bag at the back next to the board. Is this a bad idea?

3) Mylar bags vs Polythene bags - are these different? I have been using polythene 'collectors line' bags sold in many outlets. Are they inferior to 'Mylar' or the same thing?

4) Acid free backing boards. How do I know that comics bought with bags and boards have acid free boards? (and mylar or polythene bags?)

Many thanks in advance!

:cool:

Welcome to the asylum. :hi:

To answer your questions:

1) Storage in plastic boxes. Is this a no-no? I see that there are long boxes made from card available. Do plastic boxes give off chemicals over time that deteriorate comics / paper? They sell plastic type long boxes and they are fine. As long as your comics are protected in acid free boards (see below) and in mylars (see below) than you should be fine.

2) Tape on bags - I am perhaps slightly neurotic about this...!!! lol - after a bad experience - you can guess - and so I remove tape from bags and tuck in the bag at the back next to the board. Is this a bad idea? I use tape on all my mylars and I just remove the tape before I take out the comic. A tape pull only happens when someone is lazy. Take off the tape before taking out the comic and you're golden.

3) Mylar bags vs Polythene bags - are these different? I have been using polythene 'collectors line' bags sold in many outlets. Are they inferior to 'Mylar' or the same thing? I only use mylar bags. Poly just gets yellow over time and I prefer mylar 2s. They are more expensive but worth it. And look nicer.

4) Acid free backing boards. How do I know that comics bought with bags and boards have acid free boards? (and mylar or polythene bags?) Get yourself full back acid free boards. If the boards are smooth and white...they probably aren't real acid free boards (although there has been debates about this). I buy the Full backs that say acid free on them.

You may PM me for all other privileged information. :banana:

Every time I do that you never respond. hm

DR.X

:sorry:

Truth is it's all a bluff.

I got nothin'

This place writes its own rules, then ignores or changes them without notice.

Just go with it & pray for the eventual bannings.

Hi guys,

Firstly, I am really pleased to have found these forums, there's a lot of great stuff in here. I'm still reading through a lot of stuff, as well as trying to learn the nuances of grading!! I have a few basic questions related to comic storage, that I hope you guys can help me with.

1) Storage in plastic boxes. Is this a no-no? I see that there are long boxes made from card available. Do plastic boxes give off chemicals over time that deteriorate comics / paper?

2) Tape on bags - I am perhaps slightly neurotic about this...!!! lol - after a bad experience - you can guess - and so I remove tape from bags and tuck in the bag at the back next to the board. Is this a bad idea?

3) Mylar bags vs Polythene bags - are these different? I have been using polythene 'collectors line' bags sold in many outlets. Are they inferior to 'Mylar' or the same thing?

4) Acid free backing boards. How do I know that comics bought with bags and boards have acid free boards? (and mylar or polythene bags?)

Many thanks in advance!

I will answer question 3 for you. Polythene bags are c-rap!

I hope that helps. ;)

Seanfingh, in the bedroom, with a lead pipe. hm

Are we playing Clue?

'fingh?

bedroom?

pipe??? :eek:

It's another one of those jokes I tell that is so subliminal that nobody gets it. :(

I am thinking of mishaps both as you bag and removing from bags.

And if you take the tape completely off the bag, there is nothing to mishap. :gossip:

Hi guys,

Many thanks in advance!

I will answer question 3 for you. Polythene bags are c-rap!

I hope that helps. ;)

Addendum to this question - any suggestions on where to order them? My LCS doesn't stock mylars or any other choices in boards (acid-free or otherwise).

Welcome to the boards, new guy!

I am thinking of mishaps both as you bag and removing from bags.

And if you take the tape completely off the bag, there is nothing to mishap. :gossip:

Ah, but you could be a gorm like myself and put the un-bagged comic on the tape that you just removed. It happens, so I use a tape that will should, and I use should loosely be easy to remove - that's all.

:blush:

Hi guys. :hi:

I was just awoken from a deep sleep in my van on the way to the steel city con in Pittsburgh when something told me to check the CGC boards. hm

Shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to answer your questions about bags and boards.

Jeff