• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cheetah and His Everything Journal

1,085 posts in this topic

What a gorgeous set! The sci-fi books were Gaines' personal favorites and I'm not sure he broke even on them as he eventually had to merge the two titles. As long as the horror books sold well he was willing to subsidize what he loved.

I'm very much a color fanatic but I've been very happy reading the Russ Cochran's b&w oversized EC library for these issues. While not displaying the detail and full glory of the original art, it's the next best way to appreciate the work of the great artists in this series.

I actually had a chance to buy the #1 Gaines set of WF and WS back in the 90s but they were only being sold as complete runs and I was not comfortable doing that. It was so much money into a narrow niche and would have put a major crimp on my buying for a very long time. In hindsight, the price doesn't look so bad but that could be said of many such opportunities.

Weird Fantasy 20

WeirdFantasy20-1.jpg

I rarely venture to the Journal area, but very pleased I did today!!

First up, :applause: to cheetah for sharing his wonderful books (worship)

Secondly, :gossip:don't tell the great unwashed of CG lol

Third, I have to remark on this one:

Planet Comics 71

Planet71.jpg

This cover does it for me. Something in the lines, the female form, the composition screams at me.

I have a few mid grade copies at this point. Will have a high grade copy someday without a doubt.

:applause:

Like Dover,this cover really speaks to me. I don't have one, but I'd likely give my left one for a copy. I reckon its appeal is for a few reasons other than the obviously well executed draftsmanship of Whitman and the subtle colouring.

What sets this one apart from the usual Planet cover is that:

• There is no "damsel in distress" let alone in bondage. This girl is in control.

• She's not semi-clad. Her outfit actually makes sense, especially in a "steam punk" way.
  • And what an outfit. Leather and cord with the folds of the leather reflected in her hair(style). It's probably not a fetishist's dream - but qualifies as at least a daydream.

OK I'll stop now.

Again, kudos to you cheetah. I'll be here for the ride.

A bit of a change the next few days as I'll post some bronze age titles. I'll start with Ms. Marvel. Along the way, I'll likely get ample opportunity to show why I ended up preferring golden age titles.

Ms. Marvel 1

MsMarvel01FC.jpg