• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you rather have?

43 posts in this topic

I've been buying up a number of books lately... but I have one I'm targeting for christmas -- so what would you rather have?

Flash 123 CGC 9.0 (perfectly centered, old label) o/w pages -- cost $3100ish

Detective 225 CGC 7.0 ow/w (perfectly centered, new label, but tightly graded from some years back) -- cost $2500

Flash would be my choice. The silver age starts with Flash and this is where the silver and golden first come together in the DCU, plus the start of everything that's played out over the last 5 years in the DCU. Seems like the provenance of the issue is just greater.

Flash is far more interesting artistically and more important to the DC Universe. Martian Manhunter got a boost because of mistaken promotion of it being the start of the Silver Age. In general, it's a fairly expensive book for it being a minor character, though the Flash book may be expensive if more copies are found in 9.0 or better.

I would go with the Flash #123 9.0 as well, Brian. Martian Manhunter is a neat B or C tier character, but Flash #123 is a more significant book.

That being said, from a contrarian point of view you might be better off going after the highest graded copy of Tec #225 you can turn up instead. It is a fairly tough book in nice shape, right?

Flash is far more interesting artistically and more important to the DC Universe. Martian Manhunter got a boost because of mistaken promotion of it being the start of the Silver Age. In general, it's a fairly expensive book for it being a minor character, though the Flash book may be expensive if more copies are found in 9.0 or better.

Census has really jumped on FL 123 and prices have dipped accordingly, it's been a long time since 9.4 copies of it sold for around 20K. I like TEC 225 better just because I think it's a cool book and really difficult to find in presentable condition. Can't really compare the 2 in terms of importance or artwork however.

I would go with the Flash #123 9.0 as well, Brian. Martian Manhunter is a neat B or C tier character, but Flash #123 is a more significant book.

That being said, from a contrarian point of view you might be better off going after the highest graded copy of Tec #225 you can turn up instead. It is a fairly tough book in nice shape, right?

....the cover to the Tec 225 is kind of tame, but it's scarcity holds a lot of appeal to me. I also personally LOVE the Martian Manhunter. Flash 123 has an awesome cover and great significance but is not hard to obtain. I would get the Tec and if it's newness wears off it could always be sold and replaced with the Flash. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. I'd probably rather have a Flash 110 in 9.0 than either of the other two.

Great input guys. I love the Flash 123 cover and the art is really awesome.

The short answer is yes, I could afford both, but I did something non comic related with my money that would have gone to pay for both, so I am going to discipline myself to only buy one.

I love the Tec 225 as well, for scarcity reasons as I see them come up far less often. If I sold the Flash 123 7.5, it appears to be hovering in the $850 range. The 9.0 is a significant upgrade eye appeal wise though, and the reality is, I doubt I'd spend a lot of time "staring" at the 225.

Perhaps I'll break it up and try to buy the 225 next month. lol Or maybe I should have skipped the JIM 83 CGC 7.0 I bought. :P

Great input guys. I love the Flash 123 cover and the art is really awesome.

The short answer is yes, I could afford both, but I did something non comic related with my money that would have gone to pay for both, so I am going to discipline myself to only buy one.

I love the Tec 225 as well, for scarcity reasons as I see them come up far less often. If I sold the Flash 123 7.5, it appears to be hovering in the $850 range. The 9.0 is a significant upgrade eye appeal wise though, and the reality is, I doubt I'd spend a lot of time "staring" at the 225.

Perhaps I'll break it up and try to buy the 225 next month. lol Or maybe I should have skipped the JIM 83 CGC 7.0 I bought. :P

i was wondering who bought imelda's flip flop collection. i'd go Tec #225. Flash is more boring than Aquaman.

It doesnt matter, you probably won't keep either very long :shy:lol

I would go for the Tec 225, I just love that era more, and it's a key, albeit not a major one. It's just a lesser seen book, and a clean copy would be a nice book to have.