• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

my dog died suddenly today

52 posts in this topic

i feel horrible, he was a good dog, named charlie, just a mut but a big dog, had him since 2001 so he was 70 in dog years.

he was a great watchdog, and he loved the cats and the kids, he would watch out for all of em.

dont know what happened he was fine this morning, fed him gave him water and saw him walkin around bout noon or so, but my daughter went to give him some scraps and came and told me he wasnt moving an i went and checked and he was in his dog house dead.

looks like he went to sleep, and just died, idk maybe heartworms or something like that, but he never whined or anything, im just really bummed about it. like i said he was a good dog.

:sorry:

and im really gonna miss him

sorry to hear about your loss.

sometimes it seems like your dog can reach you when no person can. they are amazing animals.

I agree, they make a difference, even when your down, they always cheer you up for some reason.

sorry to hear about your loss.

Sounds to me he passed away peacefully. Given the age, most likely of natural causes. Its good that he didn't suffer long and you were not put in a painful position of having to put him to sleep (in the case of a long lingering illness).

I'm on my second dog now. She's only two years old. My previous one lasted over 10+ years. It sucks that dogs don't live longer than they do. As long as you took care of him and made his days on earth happy, you can always take solace in that. Best of luck.

Sorry to hear about your loss. :sorry:

We've also got a big dog (English Mastiff) and we almost lost him about a month ago. Same deal, he was fine in the morning and not moving when my 16 year old came home from school. Glad she knew something was not right. Our vet ended up cutting him from breast bone to tail bone to fix a stomach issue.

Big dogs are highly prone to having their stomachs twist (bloat), which blocks blood from returning to the heart. If it's not caught and treated quickly, they often don't survive. From what I've heard, common causes are if they eat too quick or are active too soon after eating.

Like losing a family member, sorry again for your loss :(

Sorry to hear about your loss. :sorry:

Big dogs are highly prone to having their stomachs twist (bloat), which blocks blood from returning to the heart. If it's not caught and treated quickly, they often don't survive. From what I've heard, common causes are if they eat too quick or are active too soon after eating.

Like losing a family member, sorry again for your loss :(

I went through the same thing with my Golden Retriever. Ended up costing me $1200 in vet bills but worth every penny.

Sorry for your loss tiny, it really sucks losing a good pet. Having to put a dog down can be a really tough decision, it sounds like yours didn't suffer which hopefully can give you some comfort.