• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Windy City Pedigrees- What Did They Sell For?

125 posts in this topic

Gary;

Love to hear these old-time stories on the great pedigree collections! :applause:

Is it true that the Windy City copy of 'Tec Comics #1 is nicer than the Church copy and is possibly the nicest copy in existent? hm

Without taking the time to check on the census, I said earlier that I thought the WC Detective 1 would grade 6.0 - 7.0. My grading notes state: dings at top and bottom of spine, slight dust shadow on cover. Insides browning. The image below shows nothing obviously wrong with the book and the spine is structurally very sound. Nearly all of the interiors designated "browning" have come back c/ow from CGC.

Gary084.jpg

I love hearing these stories. :applause:

Gary, do you have any information about the Windy City Hi-Spot #2? I remember you mentioning that there was one in the collection. Thanks.

Here's a great photo! It has the Hi Spot 2 and the Minute Man 1.

Gary055.jpg

My grading notes state the Hi Spot 2 is Fine/browning. It sure looks better in this photo! My sell sheet has it as a VF. I moved it for $400 in trade.

My notes on the Minute Man state: dings at top and bottom of spine/shadow on cover. It appears that Jon's copy has been cleaned a bit, but the shadow is in the same place. No pricing info on this book.

Air Fighters 2 - VF - Sharp! Sell sheet says VF and traded for $700.

Sparkler 1 - VG - OK. Sold for $85.

Jackpot 1 - VF/Nice! Sell sheet says VF and traded for $650.

Military 1 - VF/Solid! Sell sheet says VF. Sold for $1,050.

Leading 1 - Fine/OK... Sell sheet says FINE and sold for $550.

King 1 - VG+/OK... Sell sheet says VG and sold for $400.

Popular 1 - Fine/Solid! Sell sheet says FINE and sold for $300.

New 1 - Grading notes state: GOOD. Cover shadow with edges of cover brittle/inside brown but not brittle. Sell sheet says VG and moved for $1,100 in trade.

America's Best 1 - FINE/inside covers very brown/covers solid. No sales info on this book.

Uncle Sam 1 - VF/cover shadow. Sell sheet has no grade, but I moved it for $550 in trade.

Can you imagine what it was like for me to see these books all in one place like this? I still get goosebumps...

Gary, do you have any information about the Windy City Hi-Spot #2? I remember you mentioning that there was one in the collection. Thanks.

Gary055.jpg

My grading notes state the Hi Spot 2 is Fine/browning. It sure looks better in this photo! My sell sheet has it as a VF. I moved it for $400 in trade.

My notes on the Minute Man state: dings at top and bottom of spine/shadow on cover. It appears that Jon's copy has been cleaned a bit, but the shadow is in the same place. No pricing info on this book.

Air Fighters 2 - VF - Sharp! Sell sheet says VF and traded for $700.

Sparkler 1 - VG - OK. Sold for $85.

Jackpot 1 - VF/Nice! Sell sheet says VF and traded for $650.

Military 1 - VF/Solid! Sell sheet says VF. Sold for $1,050.

Leading 1 - Fine/OK... Sell sheet says FINE and sold for $550.

King 1 - VG+/OK... Sell sheet says VG and sold for $400.

Popular 1 - Fine/Solid! Sell sheet says FINE and sold for $300.

New 1 - Grading notes state: GOOD. Cover shadow with edges of cover brittle/inside brown but not brittle. Sell sheet says VG and moved for $1,100 in trade.

America's Best 1 - FINE/inside covers very brown/covers solid. No sales info on this book.

Uncle Sam 1 - VF/cover shadow. Sell sheet has no grade, but I moved it for $550 in trade.

Can you imagine what it was like for me to see these books all in one place like this? I still get goosebumps...

I get goosebumps just looking at the pictures and reading your notes. I'd love to have all of the ones in this picture

Gary055.jpg

That's a sweet copy! Thank you for sharing. :applause:

This book is so tough to find.

Gary055.jpg

That's a sweet copy! Thank you for sharing. :applause:

This book is so tough to find.

This copy is probably a 7.5 - 8.5 today.

I've had a few of the Windy City #1's and only have one left.

I had Killroys #1, Giggle #1 (wish I still had both as they were pretty nice 7.0-8.0 range) and I still have the Cow Puncher #1 raw. Wish there were Windy City later issues of that title.

Thanks for sharing Gary....great historical data points and it lets young and old collectors feel a bit of the excitement that you felt back in the day.

I've had a few of the Windy City #1's and only have one left.

I had Killroys #1, Giggle #1 (wish I still had both as they were pretty nice 7.0-8.0 range) and I still have the Cow Puncher #1 raw. Wish there were Windy City later issues of that title.

Thanks for sharing Gary....great historical data points and it lets young and old collectors feel a bit of the excitement that you felt back in the day.

Did any of your WCs have "A. Wallace" penciled on or near the logo? The A stands for Andy or Anna. Andy was the mailman who collected the books and Anna was his spinster sister schoolmarm who helped him. The issues with the name are generally late 40's - early 50's.

Looking around I found some more background info on the Windy City collection.

Here's an article in the July 7, 1955 edition of the Uniontown (PA) Evening Standard on Andy Wallace. I love his perspective that collecting first issues is a means of passing the time pleasantly...

Andy was born in 1903 and passed away in 1972. Anna died in 1984 and the bank eventually disposed of her estate. In the house they found another thousand books that were not a part of the collection I purchased. They disposed of the comics through an auction in December 1987. Dave Anderson was at the auction and sent me a list.

After double-checking this list, somebody please tell Billy Parker that there was a Yankee 1 in this auction. If Anderson bought it and subsequently had it graded and CGC designated it the WC because of this provenance, then his Yankee is a bona WC - at least it came from the same collector.

With all this added information, I'm not sure if the Windy City collection should be the Windy City collection any longer. I believe Andy Wallace belongs in the pantheon of collectors that includes Edgar Church and Lamont Larson. I may start referring to the books as WALLACES.

lol

It's funny how much stuff I'm finding that I never knew I had...

19550707UniontownEveningStandardp14a.jpg

Here's an article in the July 7, 1955 edition of the Uniontown (PA) Evening Standard on Andy Wallace. I love his perspective that collecting first issues is a means of passing the time pleasantly...

Andy was born in 1903 and passed away in 1972. Anna died in 1984 and the bank eventually disposed of her estate. In the house they found another thousand books that were not a part of the collection I purchased. They disposed of the comics through an auction in December 1987. Dave Anderson was at the auction and sent me a list.

After double-checking this list, somebody please tell Billy Parker that there was a Yankee 1 in this auction. If Anderson bought it and subsequently had it graded and CGC designated it the WC because of this provenance, then his Yankee is a bona WC - at least it came from the same collector.I believe Andy Wallace belongs in the pantheon of collectors that includes Edgar Church and Lamont Larson. I may start referring to the books as WALLACES.

Gary- You and I are on the same page. It just "humanizes" a slice of americana.

I did not find the Larson collection, but I found the PERSON and the history of the books. There was the rush for me. It was an itch that had to be scratched, and I used a little ingenuity and found him.

So may I be the first to say to you: "Great collection of Wallaces" you had!!!!

The books become less a commodity, but a piece of history by attaching real people to the books......each with their different story.

Brightly colored booklets intended to separate a kid from his dime. (To me the picture of Lamont as a nine year old in my article says it all.)

Too bad you do not have the alternate list of the other Wallace books. As you know, I came up with six "Lost Larsons" (not in the original Larson find) when my article on Larson appeared in the Warsau Gazette.

Happy New Year.....jb

After double-checking this list, somebody please tell Billy Parker that there was a Yankee 1 in this auction. If Anderson bought it and subsequently had it graded and CGC designated it the WC because of this provenance, then his Yankee is a bona WC - at least it came from the same collector.

With all this added information, I'm not sure if the Windy City collection should be the Windy City collection any longer. I believe Andy Wallace belongs in the pantheon of collectors that includes Edgar Church and Lamont Larson. I may start referring to the books as WALLACES.

lol

YAY!

lol

YAY!

omgosh, I can't believe you are going to accept this as legitimizing your second hand, wanna be pedigree notation...geesh, maybe I can convince you Florida really did beat Nebraska :baiting: